Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 175 guests

power up the wedge?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: power up the wedge?
Post by MaxxQ   » Sat May 10, 2014 8:45 pm

MaxxQ
BuNine

Tenshinai wrote:
Spacekiwi wrote:As long as the hamsters called Boo......

:D

BOO the Mighty! Boo the Merciless! Boo the GIANT SPACE HAMSTER!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

:mrgreen:

I wonder how many understands...

Go for the eyes, Boo! GO FOR THE EYES!!! RAAARRRGGGHHH!!!

Wrong thread, BTW, Spacekiwi.
Post by SWM   » Sat May 10, 2014 11:50 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

We actually have an infodump relevant to the original post: http://infodump.thefifthimperium.com/si ... gton/267/1.

The time for a superdreadnought to go from Powered Down to Translation is around 32 minutes. Less for smaller ships, more for comparably-sized civilian ships.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by kzt   » Sun May 11, 2014 1:46 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

SWM wrote:We actually have an infodump relevant to the original post: http://infodump.thefifthimperium.com/si ... gton/267/1.

The time for a superdreadnought to go from Powered Down to Translation is around 32 minutes. Less for smaller ships, more for comparably-sized civilian ships.

That isn't actually the same issue. The wedge and the hyperdrive don't work the same. For example, in tHoQ, the BC force leaves orbit about 15 minutes after they hear about the situation. Presumably they were not sitting there with hot nodes waiting for Honor's message.
Post by Spacekiwi   » Sun May 11, 2014 4:38 am

Spacekiwi
Admiral

Being as mass effect paid homage, im sure at least a few more than used to.....

I have to say though, for a pet, i like bunbun......

Tenshinai wrote:
Spacekiwi wrote:As long as the hamsters called Boo......

:D

BOO the Mighty! Boo the Merciless! Boo the GIANT SPACE HAMSTER!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

:mrgreen:

I wonder how many understands...
`

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
its not paranoia if its justified... :D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by Tenshinai   » Sun May 11, 2014 3:28 pm

Tenshinai
Admiral

MaxxQ wrote:
Go for the eyes, Boo! GO FOR THE EYES!!! RAAARRRGGGHHH!!!

Wrong thread, BTW, Spacekiwi.

Fun fact, where i live, the old name for the place could with not too horribly much stretching be translated as something roughly Baldur´s gate. ;)

I still have a mod version of the game files (somehwere at least) where i made Boo the ultimate selfreturning throwing weapon for Minsc. :mrgreen:

Still, version 2 was more playable, it allowed throwing more than 1 hamster but at "normal" damage rates, which at long throwing range could sometimes lead to what looked like a lemming migration back to Minsc.
"RRhaaarrhhhhggg, squeak! Smack! Skitter..."

:geek:
Post by SWM   » Sun May 11, 2014 10:09 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:
SWM wrote:We actually have an infodump relevant to the original post: http://infodump.thefifthimperium.com/si ... gton/267/1.

That isn't actually the same issue. The wedge and the hyperdrive don't work the same. For example, in tHoQ, the BC force leaves orbit about 15 minutes after they hear about the situation. Presumably they were not sitting there with hot nodes waiting for Honor's message.

Blargh, you're right. Wedge, not hyperdrive. Sorry. :oops:
Post by munroburton   » Mon May 12, 2014 6:20 am

munroburton
Admiral

kzt wrote:

That BC force is the one White Haven took to Yeltsin's Star? I suppose they may have been two of the ready squadrons of the Manticoran Home Fleet at that moment and had warmed up nodes. They were the obvious choice to send off, along with telling two other squadrons to warm up and take over screen duties.

I checked Echoes of Honor. The courier boat in orbit of Cerberus(which is one step up from a mothballed ship) took "almost 40 minutes" to power her nodes up from cold.
Post by mark   » Tue May 13, 2014 2:09 am

mark
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

n7axw wrote:I want a grav lance for my miniature dachshund, who persists in picking on German Shepherds! :lol:

Don

Ye gods, you want to give it a weapon to match its ego?? Before you know it it won't be german sheperds, it will be elephants, those little creatures of course need to learn who is the big guy..
Post by cralkhi   » Wed May 21, 2014 1:45 am

cralkhi
Captain of the List

BTW has the weapon been ret-conned from the current continuity? I saw something implying that on Baen's Bar but that didn't sound right...
Post by SWM   » Wed May 21, 2014 9:55 am

SWM
Fleet Admiral

cralkhi wrote:BTW has the weapon been ret-conned from the current continuity? I saw something implying that on Baen's Bar but that didn't sound right...

No, it has not been retconned out of existence. It still exists, and it still has the shortcomings that were identified in On Basilisk Station.

The problem is that people keep thinking they have come up with some way to get around those shortcomings. David had hinted early on that it would reappear (possibly modified?) in the books, but he (and everyone else) got so tired of hearing yet another "brilliant" and "original" idea of how to use it that it became known as the Weapon That Shall Not Be Named. At this point, it is not clear whether David will bring it back in the books again; but the weapon, it's use against the Sirius, and it's problems are still canonical.

Return to Honorverse