Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Joat42 and 42 guests

power up the wedge?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
power up the wedge?
Post by batron352   » Fri May 09, 2014 1:54 pm

batron352
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

So you're sitting in orbit, your wedges off. How long does it take to power up a wedge from cold/off state?
Re: Honorverse series, the future..?
Post by kzt   » Fri May 09, 2014 2:09 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

batron352 wrote:So you're sitting in orbit, your wedges off. How long does it take to power up a wedge from cold/off state?

Instantly per the initial scene in OBS.
Post by Crown Loyalist   » Fri May 09, 2014 2:18 pm

Crown Loyalist
Commander

kzt wrote:
batron352 wrote:So you're sitting in orbit, your wedges off. How long does it take to power up a wedge from cold/off state?

What initial scene in OBS? You mean Fearless vs. King Roger?

The answer is it depends on the state of the ship's impeller nodes. If the nodes are hot, the wedge can come up instantly. If the nodes are cold, it takes long enough for a couple hundred LACs to massacre a squadron of superdreadnoughts.
Post by runsforcelery   » Fri May 09, 2014 2:23 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

kzt wrote:

Fearless didn't power up from a cold/off state in either the ambush scenario with the weapon that shall not be named or in the pursuit sequence from Medusa. Neither did Sirius or the Peep dispatch boat. Remember how Honor destroyed its nodes. I don't have the exact numbers in front of me at the moment, but I believe I've provided the time to go from a cold start to wedge fully up (and the stages which are passed through along the way) in at least one past post. Wedges can be covered by stealth while at the lower initiation stages and held at readiness/standby levels with an excellent chance (but not a certainty) of concealing them under stealth, and that was the situation vis-à-vis the King Roger. When the text says the wedge "snapped up" (or however I phrased it; I don't have the book in front of me at the moment, either) it means that it switched suddenly from readiness to full maneuvering power, not that it came up from cold nodes. For that matter, the weapon which shall not be named couldn't have been used from a "cold nodes" status since what it actually does is to use a ship's own wedge to knock down the target's sidewall. The firing ship needs to be at at least standby status to make it work at all.

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Re: power up the wedge?
Post by Duckk   » Fri May 09, 2014 2:31 pm

Duckk
Site Admin

In OBS when Fearless goes in pursuit of Sirius, from standby to wedge up was over 10 minutes.
-------------------------
Shields at 50%, taunting at 100%! - Tom Pope
Post by cthia   » Fri May 09, 2014 2:31 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

runsforcelery wrote:
Fearless didn't power up from a cold/off state in either the ambush scenario with the weapon that shall not be named or in the pursuit sequence from Medusa. Neither did Sirius or the Peep dispatch boat. Remember how Honor destroyed its nodes. I don't have the exact numbers in front of me at the moment, but I believe I've provided the time to go from a cold start to wedge fully up (and the stages which are passed through along the way) in at least one past post. Wedges can be covered by stealth while at the lower initiation stages and held at readiness/standby levels with an excellent chance (but not a certainty) of concealing them under stealth, and that was the situation vis-à-vis the King Roger. When the text says the wedge "snapped up" (or however I phrased it; I don't have the book in front of me at the moment, either) it means that it switched suddenly from readiness to full maneuvering power, not that it came up from cold nodes. For that matter, the weapon which shall not be named couldn't have been used from a "cold nodes" status since what it actually does is to use a ship's own wedge to knock down the target's sidewall. The firing ship needs to be at at least standby status to make it work at all.

Um, question. When did the grav-lance become Lord Voldemort? And we shall speak neither's name.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Duckk   » Fri May 09, 2014 2:39 pm

Duckk
Site Admin

Well, the historical record on the infodump pinpoints March 10, 1998, but I'm sure it goes back even farther than that. People kept trying to stick the thing on missiles, LACs, and their pet hamster, and ignoring the technical limitations that were spelled out in the book.
-------------------------
Shields at 50%, taunting at 100%! - Tom Pope
Post by kzt   » Fri May 09, 2014 2:50 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Crown Loyalist wrote:The answer is it depends on the state of the ship's impeller nodes. If the nodes are hot, the wedge can come up instantly. If the nodes are cold, it takes long enough for a couple hundred LACs to massacre a squadron of superdreadnoughts.

Ok, misread the original question. It's probably more like 15-30 minutes, as if you are that inactive there is almost certainly a lot of other things you need to do to get underway. You don't start bringing up the wedge until you have things like your full engineering watch on duty, checks on maintenance status (it's bad to power up systems that are being actively worked on), all power plants on-line, etc. Bringing up the wedge takes a huge amount of power so it isn't something you can do from anything other then your main reactors.
Post by Donnachaidh   » Fri May 09, 2014 4:06 pm

Donnachaidh
Rear Admiral

I want a grav lance armed hamster!

Duckk wrote:Well, the historical record on the infodump pinpoints March 10, 1998, but I'm sure it goes back even farther than that. People kept trying to stick the thing on missiles, LACs, and their pet hamster, and ignoring the technical limitations that were spelled out in the book.
Post by SWM   » Fri May 09, 2014 5:55 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
runsforcelery wrote:

Um, question. When did the grav-lance become Lord Voldemort? And we shall speak neither's name.

Wow, it's hard to remember that you are still a newbie, despite your profuse posting!

As mentioned in the FAQ, the grav lance generated so many proposals and suggestions that the topic got worn out so long ago almost no one still around can remember it. That's why it is called The Weapon That Shall Not Be Named, or more often TWTSNBN. It is easily the most feared topic on the forum. You will notice that it is the only specific Honorverse topic which the FAQ warns against.

1998, Ducck? That long ago. Wow.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine

Return to Honorverse