Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 47 guests

power up the wedge?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: power up the wedge?
Post by n7axw   » Fri May 09, 2014 6:50 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

I want a grav lance for my miniature dachshund, who persists in picking on German Shepherds! :lol:

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by runsforcelery   » Fri May 09, 2014 8:48 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

Donnachaidh wrote:I want a grav lance armed hamster!

Duckk wrote:Well, the historical record on the infodump pinpoints March 10, 1998, but I'm sure it goes back even farther than that. People kept trying to stick the thing on missiles, LACs, and their pet hamster, and ignoring the technical limitations that were spelled out in the book.

I weel spit your feelthy little hamster on a grav lance and toast eet slowly over a handy F7 star! :twisted:

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by Tenshinai   » Fri May 09, 2014 8:52 pm

Tenshinai
Admiral

Donnachaidh wrote:I want a grav lance armed hamster!

:lol:

Totally goes into my quotes text file! :mrgreen:

I weel spit your feelthy little hamster on a grav lance and toast eet slowly over a handy F7 star! :twisted:

Ouch! Evil overlord instant comeback! I believe RFC is on a roll recently. Better watch out folks!
:P
Post by KNick   » Fri May 09, 2014 9:54 pm

KNick
Admiral

With RFC on such a roll, I wonder if I dare to mention pint-sized power armor or un-named Marines?
_

Try to take a fisherman's fish and you will be tomorrows bait!!!
Post by Alizon   » Fri May 09, 2014 10:12 pm

Alizon
Commander

I was thinking more of mounting it on a frigate. But that's just me.

A hamster will do just fine.
It Would Depend Upon Many Different Factors
Post by HB of CJ   » Fri May 09, 2014 10:34 pm

HB of CJ
Captain of the List

How "cold" is the ship? Are the boilers off or on line. How many? Feed fuel? Feed water? Auxillary gen sets on line? Shore power? Internal ship power? How much mechanical abuse are you willing to absorb to get things going very quickly? How much crew do you have? Are your divisions up to staffing levels? Shore leave? Mechanical down-checked machinery?

Oh....I am talking about present day ships. If you are talking about future history star ships with future type technology, then the answers become very vague because we do not know. I think that for reader understanding, the Author(s) choose to parallel present day restraints and limitations slowing the time to "power up" all ship systems. HB of CJ (old coot)

Answer? From several minutes to perhaps one hour...or more.
Post by batron352   » Sat May 10, 2014 1:28 pm

batron352
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Say said ship is an orbit around a 'quiet' planet in a 'quiet' backwater region. Say said ship is a Redoubtable class battlecruiser, 'on a diplomatic mission'. And the rest of the mixed squadron is off doing reconnaissance, looking for bad guys, drilling, etc. So for whatever reason, the BC is in a parking orbit with its wedge/nodes off. Then say all of a sudden, bad guys/evil doers come barreling over the hyper limit heading for the planet your orbiting.
Post by kzt   » Sat May 10, 2014 2:13 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

batron352 wrote:Say said ship is an orbit around a 'quiet' planet in a 'quiet' backwater region. Say said ship is a Redoubtable class battlecruiser, 'on a diplomatic mission'. And the rest of the mixed squadron is off doing reconnaissance, looking for bad guys, drilling, etc. So for whatever reason, the BC is in a parking orbit with its wedge/nodes off. Then say all of a sudden, bad guys/evil doers come barreling over the hyper limit heading for the planet your orbiting.

You'd certainly be able to maneuver long before they get in range. I'd guess 15-30 minutes based on the books. It depends on the crew and what was going on at the time. You can certainly do other useful things during this, recon drones come to mind...

It should be noted that if you are in orbit and cold the ship that just crossed the wall has no idea you are there unless someone has told them that. IIRC, It's possible to hide behind the planet so they don't see the wedge coming up.
Post by Spacekiwi   » Sat May 10, 2014 5:45 pm

Spacekiwi
Admiral

As long as the hamsters called Boo......

:D

BOO the Mighty! Boo the Merciless! Boo the GIANT SPACE HAMSTER!!!!!!!! :D :D :D
Alizon wrote:I was thinking more of mounting it on a frigate. But that's just me.

A hamster will do just fine.
`

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
its not paranoia if its justified... :D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by Tenshinai   » Sat May 10, 2014 6:30 pm

Tenshinai
Admiral

Spacekiwi wrote:As long as the hamsters called Boo......

:D

BOO the Mighty! Boo the Merciless! Boo the GIANT SPACE HAMSTER!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

:mrgreen:

I wonder how many understands...

Return to Honorverse