Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 25 guests

in CoG (very small spoiler)

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: in CoG (very small spoiler)
Post by Grashtel   » Thu May 15, 2014 9:20 pm

Grashtel
Captain of the List

Roguevictory wrote:
Lord Skimper wrote:
As for ships that can traverse a terminus, that is in enemy hands, a whole bunch of frigates 500+ would make for a great way to capture said terminus.

Given what RFC has said about how there won't be a return to frigates being used by the major powers I am guessing there is some big flaw in that plan though I'm uncertain about what it is.

It may possibly be related to the fact that even if it did somehow work you would be very lucky to get 50 frigates back from a 500 frigate WH assault, which generally makes finding crews a little bit difficult
Post by Roguevictory   » Thu May 15, 2014 11:17 pm

Roguevictory
Captain of the List

Grashtel wrote:

It may possibly be related to the fact that even if it did somehow work you would be very lucky to get 50 frigates back from a 500 frigate WH assault, which generally makes finding crews a little bit difficult

The big question is what would they lose in a conventional assault with heavier units? Losing 450 Frigates would be a lot of causalities but how many DDs, CLs, CAs, BCs, or SDs would you lose sending a force of them through? Also remember that a WH assault negates the range advantage of the MDM unless the enemy fortifications are so far back that he WH is out of range of their weapons, which I find unlikely.
Post by kzt   » Thu May 15, 2014 11:44 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Roguevictory wrote:Given what RFC has said about how there won't be a return to frigates being used by the major powers I am guessing there is some big flaw in that plan though I'm uncertain about what it is.

500 frigates cost about what 490 destroyers cost and required about the same crew as maybe 450 destroyers? And destroyers have hugely more capabilities in all areas? Something like that?
Post by Jonathan_S   » Fri May 16, 2014 12:14 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Roguevictory wrote:
Grashtel wrote:

The big question is what would they lose in a conventional assault with heavier units? Losing 450 Frigates would be a lot of causalities but how many DDs, CLs, CAs, BCs, or SDs would you lose sending a force of them through? Also remember that a WH assault negates the range advantage of the MDM unless the enemy fortifications are so far back that he WH is out of range of their weapons, which I find unlikely.

Which is really an argument for not assaulting through wormholes. The attempt is horribly stacked against the attacker.

And really, with the notable exception of the wormhole at Torch, you know where they go. It's much cheaper to send a fleet round the long way to seize the wormhole[1]; rather than throwing the majority of it away attempting to force the passage.

---
Obviously the Lacoon targets were largely special cases where Manticore had recent intelligence that the wormholes were defended, which let them safely send forces through them uncontested

Return to Honorverse