Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 88 guests

OBs

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: OBs
Post by runsforcelery   » Thu May 08, 2014 10:10 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

roseandheather wrote:
saber964 wrote:
Shadow of Freedom is a main line novel per Duckk and RFC

You can paint a zebra solid black, but that still won't make it a horse.

(I'm kidding - kind of. Shadow of Freedom may be marketed as a main-line novel - and understandably so, given that it's essentially A Rising Thunder Part 2 - but the name, the characters, the content, and the setting all mark it as a Saganami Island novel.)

The problem, Rose, as I think I've explained before, is that after the very first of the Shadow books, it became obvious to me (and I so stated in an author's note) that what I had intended as a secondary series was, in fact, a critical part of the mainline novels and that there truly was no difference (in my own mind or in the flow of the story) between them and any other "mainline" novel. It may be my fault for not dropping the "shadow" part of the title, but I've retained it deliberately to indicate that this is a book which is going to be dealing with events outside the Haven Sector and its immediate environs. It's akin to my habit of using the word "honor" (or a form of it) in every second novel that does focus on the Haven Sector and its immediate environs. Because they're transpiring in a different area, they focus on different characters, a different tempo, and different character and story constraints, but they're definitely "mainstream" in terms of their contribution to the entire storyline. It is possible that the two areas of operations are going to merge into a single set of covers in the next book or two, or I may continue to separate the story strands, depending on how closely they coordinate in both time and space, but you aren't going to get the complete story without reading all of them.

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by roseandheather   » Thu May 08, 2014 10:24 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

runsforcelery wrote:
roseandheather wrote:
You can paint a zebra solid black, but that still won't make it a horse.

(I'm kidding - kind of. Shadow of Freedom may be marketed as a main-line novel - and understandably so, given that it's essentially A Rising Thunder Part 2 - but the name, the characters, the content, and the setting all mark it as a Saganami Island novel.)

The problem, Rose, as I think I've explained before, is that after the very first of the Shadow books, it became obvious to me (and I so stated in an author's note) that what I had intended as a secondary series was, in fact, a critical part of the mainline novels and that there truly was no difference (in my own mind or in the flow of the story) between them and any other "mainline" novel. It may be my fault for not dropping the "shadow" part of the title, but I've retained it deliberately to indicate that this is a book which is going to be dealing with events outside the Haven Sector and its immediate environs. It's akin to my habit of using the word "honor" (or a form of it) in every second novel that does focus on the Haven Sector and its immediate environs. Because they're transpiring in a different area, they focus on different characters, a different tempo, and different character and story constraints, but they're definitely "mainstream" in terms of their contribution to the entire storyline. It is possible that the two areas of operations are going to merge into a single set of covers in the next book or two, or I may continue to separate the story strands, depending on how closely they coordinate in both time and space, but you aren't going to get the complete story without reading all of them.

Oh, no, I get that - at least, I hope I do!

I think the kerfuffle arises from differing definitions of what a mainline novel is. To me the sub-series have marked - well, different "theaters of operation", if you will - Wages of Sin are the Zilwicki/Cachat books, the Shadow series are in the Talbott Quadrant, and the "mainline" novels are Manticore, Haven, Mesa, etc. They're not sub-series in the same way Manticore Ascendant or Star Kingdom are, for instance, which don't contribute to the ongoing 20th-c PD narrative.

When I - and most of the people I talk with outside these boards - talk about Shadow novels or Wages novels, we're using the names as shorthand for "this is the one that deals with Michelle &co in Talbott", not "this is a side story and you don't really need to read it unless you want to." And in that sense, SoF very much is a Shadow novel, whatever its marketing. On the other hand, for most people - i.e. those unfortunate souls who haven't yet discovered this playground - the term "sub-series" does tend to translate as "something you can skip if you want", which can make for some very confused readers when they suddenly find characters referencing events that, as far as they know, never happened!

For the purposes of reading order, I treat the Honor novels, the Shadow novels, and the Wages novels all as "main line" novels. I've read the Shadow trilogy pretty much as a standalone, just adding in the relevant bits of Mission of Honor, when I was in the mood to go spend some time with those particular characters, but that was probably on read three or four of those particular novels, not the first or even second.

I've also noticed that I tend to refer to Manticore Ascendant and Star Kingdom as "spinoff" series, but the Shadow and Cachat series as "sub-series" - probably just to keep it straight in my own head! And everybody else's, for that matter.

It'll be interesting to see how one or both of those sub-series fold back in to the main spine of the Honor books - particularly as the theater of operations shifts toward the SL and the Alignment and, presumably, away from the Quadrant and even Mesa, though. This isn't so much as a story line as it is a story weave - and God help you if you miss a thread!

Aaaaand this is why I just tend to go, "Yeah, first is On Basilisk Station, then Honor of the Queen, then The Short Victorious War - after you've finished those, let me know and I'll explain what you've just gotten yourself into... :twisted: "

* :oops: quietly shuffles off soapbox and hides under it :oops: *
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by crewdude48   » Fri May 09, 2014 3:21 am

crewdude48
Commodore

roseandheather wrote:
runsforcelery wrote:

Oh, no, I get that - at least, I hope I do!

I think the kerfuffle arises from differing definitions of what a mainline novel is. To me the sub-series have marked - well, different "theaters of operation", if you will - Wages of Sin are the Zilwicki/Cachat books, the Shadow series are in the Talbott Quadrant, and the "mainline" novels are Manticore, Haven, Mesa, etc. They're not sub-series in the same way Manticore Ascendant or Star Kingdom are, for instance, which don't contribute to the ongoing 20th-c PD narrative.

When I - and most of the people I talk with outside these boards - talk about Shadow novels or Wages novels, we're using the names as shorthand for "this is the one that deals with Michelle &co in Talbott", not "this is a side story and you don't really need to read it unless you want to." And in that sense, SoF very much is a Shadow novel, whatever its marketing. On the other hand, for most people - i.e. those unfortunate souls who haven't yet discovered this playground - the term "sub-series" does tend to translate as "something you can skip if you want", which can make for some very confused readers when they suddenly find characters referencing events that, as far as they know, never happened!

For the purposes of reading order, I treat the Honor novels, the Shadow novels, and the Wages novels all as "main line" novels. I've read the Shadow trilogy pretty much as a standalone, just adding in the relevant bits of Mission of Honor, when I was in the mood to go spend some time with those particular characters, but that was probably on read three or four of those particular novels, not the first or even second.

I've also noticed that I tend to refer to Manticore Ascendant and Star Kingdom as "spinoff" series, but the Shadow and Cachat series as "sub-series" - probably just to keep it straight in my own head! And everybody else's, for that matter.

It'll be interesting to see how one or both of those sub-series fold back in to the main spine of the Honor books - particularly as the theater of operations shifts toward the SL and the Alignment and, presumably, away from the Quadrant and even Mesa, though. This isn't so much as a story line as it is a story weave - and God help you if you miss a thread!

Aaaaand this is why I just tend to go, "Yeah, first is On Basilisk Station, then Honor of the Queen, then The Short Victorious War - after you've finished those, let me know and I'll explain what you've just gotten yourself into... :twisted: "

I think part of the problem is that we refer to the novels in the Haven Sector as "mainline."

I suggest a new naming convention.

Everything up to the split is "mainline." When it does split, it splits into the Torch subseries, the Shadow subseries, and the Honor subseries. This splits it into three equal parts, and avoids calling the Honor subseries something that would imply it is more important than either of the other two. And it is no more confusing to newbies than a mainline and two necessary subseries.

Any thoughts?
Post by Hutch   » Fri May 09, 2014 8:42 am

Hutch
Vice Admiral

roseandheather wrote: Oh, no, I get that - at least, I hope I do!

RFC: What Rose said.

Rose: Take two swoons over Dame Ellen out of petty cash.... :D ;)

And simply because I can--the cover for Shadow of Freedom still sucks.....Conversely, it would have been an excellent cover for A Rising Thunder..

*Hutch climbs off soapbox*
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by cthia   » Fri May 09, 2014 8:45 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

roseandheather wrote:
Just note that just because the books won't feature her doesn't mean she won't appear. I can imagine her turning up for ten or twenty pages, even if it's not an "Honor book".

Hey, I'll even settle with five pages of Honor. Oh what can be done with Honor in just five pages. Five paragraphs even!
Deleted as fanfic.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Fri May 09, 2014 8:46 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Is that considered fanfic?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by runsforcelery   » Fri May 09, 2014 8:57 am

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

cthia wrote:Is that considered fanfic?

I think I'm going to regard it as such and ask that there not be any more of it, please.

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by Duckk   » Fri May 09, 2014 8:59 am

Duckk
Site Admin

Arg, I haven't checked this topic in a while and missed that. I has a sad. :oops:

EDIT: Actually, judging by the timestamps, it was only a handful of minutes ago.
-------------------------
Shields at 50%, taunting at 100%! - Tom Pope
Post by cthia   » Fri May 09, 2014 9:41 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Duckk wrote:Arg, I haven't checked this topic in a while and missed that. I has a sad. :oops:

EDIT: Actually, judging by the timestamps, it was only a handful of minutes ago.

Yes, it was just a while ago. My apologies to RFC and Duckk.

And thanks for not hanging me for this capital offense!

Post by namelessfly   » Fri May 09, 2014 10:05 am

namelessfly

runsforcelery wrote:
cthia wrote:Is that considered fanfic?

I think I'm going to regard it as such and ask that there not be any more of it, please.

Does this mean that I can't write my presumed shower scene of Abby and Mateo getting clean together after they get picked up from Tiberian?

Was Steadholder Hearnes' recruitment of Mateo as Abby's permanent armsman a subtle, shotgun wedding?

Return to Honorverse