Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 140 guests

Getting started

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Getting started
Post by DianeSilva   » Mon May 05, 2014 12:05 am

DianeSilva
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Well tonight I ordered the first three books of Honor Harrington series. So looking forward to it. I enjoy all of Mr Webers work. I read the Dahak series out if the Dark and in fury born as well as Safehold. Just great reading.
Re: Getting started
Post by drothgery   » Mon May 05, 2014 12:37 am

drothgery
Admiral

DianeSilva wrote:Well tonight I ordered the first three books of Honor Harrington series. So looking forward to it. I enjoy all of Mr Webers work. I read the Dahak series out if the Dark and in fury born as well as Safehold. Just great reading.

FYI - electronic versions the first two books of the Honor Harrington series are available in the Free Library at http://www.baenebooks.com . Most of what David Weber wrote for Baen Books up to mid-2010 can be found on the CD that came with the Mission of Honor hardcover, which can be downloaded from http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/ (this is legal; the CDs are freely redistributable, but I'd recommend buying a copy of anything you like).
Re: Getting started
Post by jgnfld   » Mon May 05, 2014 8:02 am

jgnfld
Captain of the List

DianeSilva wrote:Well tonight I ordered the first three books of Honor Harrington series. So looking forward to it. I enjoy all of Mr Webers work. I read the Dahak series out if the Dark and in fury born as well as Safehold. Just great reading.

You'll like them. I happened to start with E of H when the series first came to my attention as a mass market paperback and I bought it on whim. I then went back to OBS and read back to EoH in order back to that point before going forward to the newer books which were also out by then.

But the preferred order is still straight through along the mainline series at least and reading the Wages of Sin side series concurrently as appropriate (see publishing dates). There is no "Machete Order" though some complain about excessive info dumping as certain places over the last half dozen or so. I don't, personally, but I don't mind world-building.

It it's an issue, buying used can keep costs down and there are also the freely available, legal sources also mentioned.

Return to Honorverse