Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 33 guests

the Apple Version is out

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: the Apple Version is out
Post by Duncan323   » Sat May 03, 2014 11:24 am

Duncan323
Midshipman

The power boosters raise the level of that system (the number of filled dots beside it on the view of the whole ship). Level makes it better :) ie: higher weapons lvl = more missiles in each shot. Higher laser/anti missile/ECM lvl = that system can take out more incoming missiles with each shot. Havnt figured out whether or not my power boosters on the bridge or engineering are doing anything for me yet
Post by Norm.bone   » Sat May 03, 2014 11:30 am

Norm.bone
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Jonathan_S wrote:

I've played this a bit last night and it's fun but I'm not sure what the power boosters actually do - so I don't know if it's worth putting them in instead of a more special purpose upgrade.

IMO installing and improving power boosters are the first upgrade to focus on. More power lets you level up departments, and leveled up departments are more effective. (I.e. Weapons go from 3 missiles/tube to 4, counter missiles take out more incoming fire, etc. )

Once you've maxed out levels, I try to open up slots for the other types of upgrades.
Post by TheMonster   » Sat May 03, 2014 12:32 pm

TheMonster
Rear Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:Yeah if you're not reading the (numerous) text bubbles in that tutorial it might not be clear that its a free 'purchase' to make you aware that the pay store exists.
I never saw the word "free" in any of those bubbles either time I played through the first battle.

I just played through again to see if there was something I missed, and finally noticed the bar at the bottom of the screen was what I was supposed to click.

Now there's an "Endicot Sector". This is like "Talbot" and "Talbott" all over again. And "Warp"? This is not Star Trek.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Sat May 03, 2014 3:23 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Norm.bone wrote:
Jonathan_S wrote:

I've played this a bit last night and it's fun but I'm not sure what the power boosters actually do - so I don't know if it's worth putting them in instead of a more special purpose upgrade.

IMO installing and improving power boosters are the first upgrade to focus on. More power lets you level up departments, and leveled up departments are more effective. (I.e. Weapons go from 3 missiles/tube to 4, counter missiles take out more incoming fire, etc. )

Once you've maxed out levels, I try to open up slots for the other types of upgrades.
Thanks, that makes sense.

I think I was missing that because I'd hit a wall and was just grinding against the salvage bots; where the extra CMs or PDLCs don't matter because they don't throw a big enough salvo to overwhelm what the lvl 1 defense can stop (assuming it's ready to fire; so that was leading me into looking just at things to make the defense recharge faster)

Now even against those enemies extra missiles per launch help; I just hadn't leveled up my power leveler when I was experimenting with it and so hadn't gone across that magic breakpoint.

I've got (I think) a more balanced and upgraded destroyer, but still; last I tried I got my head handed by that ships on mission 8. But hey, I'm enjoying screwing around with it; what more do you want for free :D
Post by Tenshinai   » Sat May 03, 2014 9:25 pm

Tenshinai
Admiral

runsforcelery wrote:Guys --- I was too swamped with stuff yesterday (including the girls' win in the semi-final round of their school soccer team's playoffs [the beaming father said proudly])

Congrats.

the Apple Version is out

Oh goodie it´s not the Onion version... :twisted:

:mrgreen:
Post by roseandheather   » Sat May 03, 2014 9:43 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

*quietly languishes in a smartphone-less world*

I tell you, I'm not a gamer at all (I tried my brother's WoW once, got eaten by spiders, it was bad, end of story), but I kind of wish I was just so I could check this baby out. Tourville?? :o :twisted: *swooning smiley*

I swear one of these days someone's going to have to invent a swooning smiley just for me...
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by Duncan323   » Sat May 03, 2014 10:07 pm

Duncan323
Midshipman

It's a fun game. Not quite following The rules from the books, but when you consider that the primary purpose of the game is to introduce new people to the Honorverse, they came close enough IMO. It fun, free and unlike most freemium games you can still do well without spending money. I hope they can add in manuevering, or make another game down the road with actual maneuvering and larger scale battles. But the game did inspire me to make a forum account instead of just taking a look in here every couple of months
Post by TheMonster   » Sat May 03, 2014 11:59 pm

TheMonster
Rear Admiral

roseandheather wrote:*quietly languishes in a smartphone-less world*
I understand there's a program that lets you run Android apps on a PC.
Post by roseandheather   » Sun May 04, 2014 12:25 am

roseandheather
Admiral

TheMonster wrote:
roseandheather wrote:*quietly languishes in a smartphone-less world*
I understand there's a program that lets you run Android apps on a PC.

Congratulations, you win the "Rose's favorite person!" Award!
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by Crown Loyalist   » Sun May 04, 2014 11:13 am

Crown Loyalist
Commander

I mean, it's not a canon game. I hope not, anyway. The plot is strictly impossible by the story of the books. There's no way that Tourville was where the game has him, commanding what the game has him commanding, when the game has him commanding it.

And the combat isn't quite Honorverse combat. You don't have energy weapons (other than your point defense), and for the most part you're aiming for direct strikes with your missiles. In Honorverse combat, if the ships were limited to the missiles that you're limited to in the game, whichever ship was losing would simply turn on their side and ride away under the cover of their wedge.

But:

It's fun, and it's a good way to introduce the series to a new audience. The game is fun enough, and it moves quick enough, that people will play and become interested.
Last edited by Crown Loyalist on Sun May 04, 2014 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to Honorverse