Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 33 guests

The Sorting Hat

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: The Sorting Hat
Post by Tenshinai   » Mon May 05, 2014 10:08 pm

Tenshinai
Admiral

Festival wrote:
I coudln't disagree more.

That´s your opinion, fine.

For me, after having read through some discussions between fanfic authors about what his actions actually have been, while i don´t mind fics with him as a mr nice guy(as long as it´s done well that is), but in canon he is not a good person, he is not a nice person, he is not even an ambivalent person, he´s an evil bastard that is helping big bad voldie far more than anything else.

So unless you can say something AMAZINGLY great about him without fudging the facts, then you disagreeing doesn´t matter to me.
Post by Festival   » Tue May 06, 2014 1:47 pm

Festival
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Tenshinai wrote:
Festival wrote:
I coudln't disagree more.

That´s your opinion, fine.

For me, after having read through some discussions between fanfic authors about what his actions actually have been, while i don´t mind fics with him as a mr nice guy(as long as it´s done well that is), but in canon he is not a good person, he is not a nice person, he is not even an ambivalent person, he´s an evil bastard that is helping big bad voldie far more than anything else.

So unless you can say something AMAZINGLY great about him without fudging the facts, then you disagreeing doesn´t matter to me.

I don't read fanfic (I'd rather drink paint), so portrayals there are irrelevant. And your assertion that the canon Snape is "helping big bad voldie far more than anything else" so downright bizarre that I can't imagine continuing this conversation would have any point.
Post by Michael Everett   » Tue May 06, 2014 5:16 pm

Michael Everett
Admiral

Festival wrote:I don't read fanfic (I'd rather drink paint), so portrayals there are irrelevant. And your assertion that the canon Snape is "helping big bad voldie far more than anything else" so downright bizarre that I can't imagine continuing this conversation would have any point.

Quite a few writers got their big breaks writing official fanfics.
Don't believe me? Check out how many different writers have contributed to the Star Trek universe early in their careers.
In fact, it's arguable that any series with multiple authors relies on the concept of fanfic since if the newer writers did not want to do their own "what if's", they would not ask to write for the series in question.

Of course, there is the minor problem that 90% of fanfics tend to be rather bad, whether through spelling, grammar, tense issues (past, present, future etc), failure to understand the original source material, excessive citruses (your opinion may be different on that one), all of the above...
Some are so bad that they've become almost legendary.

It is worth noting, however, that sometimes fanon makes it into canon...

For the HP fans out there, there are a few that I would say are worth a look.
1) Harry Crow - 100 chapters. Updated weekly (Usually sunday, occasionally monday).
Harry is raised by Goblins after the Dursleys decide they don't want him.
2) Growing Up Kneazle - 40 Chapters. Complete, sequel underway.
A young Harry Potter accidentally turns himself into a cat and gains a new family.
3) Luna's Hubby - 21 Chapters. Complete.
7yr old Luna Lovegood thinks it would be great to have a husband... and promptly kidnaps Harry Potter for the role.

Back to the Honorverse...
I think they'd all be in the Salem Institute of Witches And Wizards :twisted:
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by Tenshinai   » Tue May 06, 2014 5:52 pm

Tenshinai
Admiral

Festival wrote:
I don't read fanfic (I'd rather drink paint), so portrayals there are irrelevant. And your assertion that the canon Snape is "helping big bad voldie far more than anything else" so downright bizarre that I can't imagine continuing this conversation would have any point.

:roll:

Not reading fanfics? Well thats your loss. And your complete and arbitrary dismissal does not help your credibility, merely shows lack of objectivity.

And as i specifically noted, i was referring to canon portrayal, so your rejection in that regard is pointless.

If you think that is a bizarre notion, you have not seriously looked at his actions.

Intentionally or not(and there´s no real reason to expect it to be unintentional), he uses Hogwarths as a breeding ground for Voldie supporters while using his position to push Voldie´s agenda.

While his oh so important spying, well, in what ways does it actually help the "good guys"?
Post by Festival   » Tue May 06, 2014 6:42 pm

Festival
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Apparently that whole "no point in continuing this conversation" thing is beyond your grasp, but before I sign off with you for good, I do have to chuckle at this gem:

Tenshinai wrote:If you think that is a bizarre notion, you have not seriously looked at his actions.

You seriously have no idea....really. With the exception of Luna Lovegood (JKR's most magnificent creation, actually...deserves her own series), there's no character whose actions and motivations I've looked at more than Severus Snape. You may (conveniently) elect to paint my dismissal as "arbitrary" simply because I elected not to respond to your rudely-presented comments in any detail, but I assure you it is anything but.

My take, however, is unimportant. Your assertions are contradicted by multiple statements by the author herself. I'm sure you can find them.

Bye, and have a nice life.

Return to Honorverse