Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 145 guests

How much Technology was Stolen

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: How much Technology was Stolen
Post by Imaginos1892   » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:46 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
GlynnStewart wrote:I'm guessing said potato doesn't look like much of anything. Maybe fine ash.

More like a rapidly expanding cloud of hot starch. :P

Mmmmm....Pop Taters!

Saber94 is right - military radars can't see anything closer than a couple hundred meters. You need a specialized narrow-pulse radar for that. A radar has a high-power transmitter and an extremely sensitive receiver connected to the same antenna -- and thus to each other. There has to be a T/R mechanism to protect the receiver from the transmitter, either by disconnecting the receiver or by shorting across its input. Either way, the receiver can't receive during this time. Even if it could, it would be "blinded" by the transmit pulse which is millions to quadrillions of times more powerful than the signals it's looking for.

Any radar with an Effective Average Power of over 100 watts is dangerous, and anything over 500 watts is deadly. Peak power can be tens of megawatts for a few microseconds.
---------------
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!!
Post by Roguevictory   » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:51 am

Roguevictory
Captain of the List

Am I the only one who wishes that Paval Young had been forced to do an external inspection of a ship only for someone to accidentally pulse one of the ship's radars into him?
Post by Dafmeister   » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:32 pm

Dafmeister
Commodore

Roguevictory wrote:Am I the only one who wishes that Paval Young had been forced to do an external inspection of a ship only for someone to accidentally pulse one of the ship's radars into him?

I think there's a mention in one of the books (HAE?) of an incident where a maintenance worker was doing EVA work when someone energised one of the search radars, and the pulse blew him clear off the hull.
Post by Hornblower   » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:26 am

Hornblower
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Dafmeister wrote:
Roguevictory wrote:Am I the only one who wishes that Paval Young had been forced to do an external inspection of a ship only for someone to accidentally pulse one of the ship's radars into him?

I think there's a mention in one of the books (HAE?) of an incident where a maintenance worker was doing EVA work when someone energised one of the search radars, and the pulse blew him clear off the hull.

I think you mean the "Dutchman" of Ginger Lewis. That was sabotage of her space suit.
Post by Weird Harold   » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:03 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Hornblower wrote:I think you mean the "Dutchman" of Ginger Lewis. That was sabotage of her space suit.

It's related to the sabotage of Ginger Lewis' SUT, but not what he meant:

Honor Among Enemies
Chapter Thirty-three wrote:
"I know." Tatsumi nodded, eyes dark with compassion as he gazed down at her. "You know she's likely to have some problems when she comes out of the quicky, don't you?" he asked quietly. "I mean, she went for a wild one, man. Odds are real good she's gonna have some post traumatic from it." He shook his head. "I knew a tech once—an electronics guy, like you—went for a Dutchman. He was working on a gravitic array and some asshole in CIC didn't check the warning board. Threw power to the array while he was on it and blew him clear off the hull. Power surge fried his com and half his suit electronics. It took us almost twelve hours to find him. That man never went extra vehicular again. Just couldn't to it."

Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by Dafmeister   » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:04 am

Dafmeister
Commodore

That's the one, thanks Weird Harold.
Post by smr   » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:47 pm

smr
Vice Admiral

Sollie Intelligence would have picking over the debris field as soon as they launched a Search and Rescue shuttle. Manuals, computers, missiles, you name it would have picked up and sent on their merry way. So how much was stolen or transferred to the Sollies by the destruction of 3 ships. The info would have stored at the embassy and examples or destroyed examples of technology would have been sent out on freighters. Hard to stop this kinda of actions.

Russia was down in Bosnia (I think) within 8 to 12 hours when they shot a f117 stealth fighter/bomber. China was at the site within 8 to 12 hours after Bin Laden raid to look at the improved stealth blackhawk.
Post by JohnRoth   » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:24 pm

JohnRoth
Admiral

smr wrote:Sollie Intelligence would have picking over the debris field as soon as they launched a Search and Rescue shuttle. Manuals, computers, missiles, you name it would have picked up and sent on their merry way. So how much was stolen or transferred to the Sollies by the destruction of 3 ships. The info would have stored at the embassy and examples or destroyed examples of technology would have been sent out on freighters. Hard to stop this kinda of actions.

I'm not sure what incident you're referring to. If it was the one at New Tuscany, Admiral Bing would not have been looking for any Manticoran tech - he didn't think they had anything worth looking at. Remember he was maneuvered into that position because he was not much more intelligent than your average rock.
Post by saber964   » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:41 pm

saber964
Admiral

JohnRoth wrote:
smr wrote:Sollie Intelligence would have picking over the debris field as soon as they launched a Search and Rescue shuttle. Manuals, computers, missiles, you name it would have picked up and sent on their merry way. So how much was stolen or transferred to the Sollies by the destruction of 3 ships. The info would have stored at the embassy and examples or destroyed examples of technology would have been sent out on freighters. Hard to stop this kinda of actions.

I'm not sure what incident you're referring to. If it was the one at New Tuscany, Admiral Bing would not have been looking for any Manticoran tech - he didn't think they had anything worth looking at. Remember he was maneuvered into that position because he was not much more intelligent than your average rock.

Plus if the SLN didn't get there quick, most would have been destroyed when it entered the planet's atmosphere or scattered across the system.
Post by FLHerne   » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:31 pm

FLHerne
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Dafmeister wrote:I think there's a mention in one of the books (HAE?) of an incident where a maintenance worker was doing EVA work when someone energised one of the search radars, and the pulse blew him clear off the hull.

Exactly this happens (not just a mention) in one scene of 'A Call to Duty' - switches not tagged properly, sensor array brought up while undergoing maintenance. Didn't do the suit electronics much good, nor the occupant, although non-fatal because the protagonist was around. ;)

Return to Honorverse