Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 114 guests

How Close is Biological Immortality?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: How Close is Biological Immortality?
Post by Spacekiwi   » Sat May 03, 2014 2:15 am

Spacekiwi
Admiral

Also known as the 3 i's. illness, impressing, and intimidating....

swalke813 wrote:
Weird Harold wrote:
Albrecht is overly optimistic. He couldn't be a proper super-villian without overstating his abillities by at least double "normals" life expectancy.

I think even if he's right, statistics will kill off everyone before biology will get a chance to; actual immortality is probably unobtainable through biological means. The longer someone lives, the greater the statistical certainty that a fatal accident will happen to them.

I suspect that third-generation prolong hasn't been around long enough to determine what the true life expectancy will be. Theoretical immortality may have already been achieved, but death by accident will keep anyone from noticing.

You have it dead on. Eventually illness, accident, or violence will kill. I'm reminded of Lorien of Babylon 5.
`

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
its not paranoia if its justified... :D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Re: How Close is Biological Immortality?
Post by Lord Skimper   » Wed May 07, 2014 2:50 am

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

Turns out young blood can make us older people younger. The latest longevity thing.
Post by Belial666   » Fri May 09, 2014 3:39 am

Belial666
Commodore

Regarding accidents and immortality, people usually die because individual cells aren't self-sufficient so a suitably large trauma to make the system inoperable will kill you. However, consider what would happen if every cell could sort-of hibernate for a very long time from an internal fuel supply. Such as adding intra-cellular nanites to perform that function.

Someone then goes and cuts you to pieces. Individual cells fall into hibernation and then doctors go and reassemble the pieces. Then you wake up, little worse for wear.

Add a way for external memory storage a few centuries down the line and death would be a minor inconvenience.

Return to Honorverse