Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 38 guests

House of Lies - the speculation and questions thread.

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: House of Lies - the speculation and questions thread.
Post by Garth 2   » Mon May 05, 2014 2:43 am

Garth 2
Captain of the List

Haven deserves some more back story to flesh out what happened, may be get a chance to see the Mesan Alignments sticky fingers.

Also if we get the same level of information about their warships, it will help put some of the battles into perspective.
Post by Festival   » Mon May 05, 2014 11:52 am

Festival
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

roseandheather wrote:
Eagleeye wrote:
How about this one: I will destroy the House of Lies - about the rising of ... Eloise Pritchard?

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how loudly I'm screaming "OH DEAR GOD YES PLEASE" to this.

That echo? That's me, screaming the same thing from clear out here in Oregon.

After all, who better to destroy a house of lies than, oh, I don't know...a seeker of truth? 8-)
Post by SYED   » Mon May 05, 2014 3:34 pm

SYED
Rear Admiral

I just wish that mesa/alignment was going to get a detailed showing would have been very informational.
Post by Michael Everett   » Mon May 05, 2014 3:57 pm

Michael Everett
Admiral

SYED wrote:I just wish that mesa/alignment was going to get a detailed showing would have been very informational.

The problem with that is that it would lock down quite a few of the reasons behind the MAlign as well as their actual capabilities, thus increasing the chance that RFC will find himself written into a corner as he will have metaphorically sewn up that particular plot bunny hat.

It's a problem that I hit a few times with my fanfics, necessitating the re-writing of up to three chapters at a time.
Heck, had to completely rewrite one chapter recently just to incorporate a joke I came up with when deciding to expand the one-shot in question into a full story...
Wouldn't wish that level of annoyance on anyone.
Well.... maybe one or two...
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by roseandheather   » Mon May 05, 2014 4:01 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

Festival wrote:
roseandheather wrote:
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how loudly I'm screaming "OH DEAR GOD YES PLEASE" to this.

That echo? That's me, screaming the same thing from clear out here in Oregon.

After all, who better to destroy a house of lies than, oh, I don't know...a seeker of truth? 8-)

YOU. You are hereby adopted into Rose's official Harem of Awesome Forumites. Don't be scared, nobody bites - unless you ask us to. :lol:

ALSO THAT BOLDED THING BECAUSE *incoherent screaming*
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by roseandheather   » Mon May 05, 2014 4:02 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

SYED wrote:I just wish that mesa/alignment was going to get a detailed showing would have been very informational.

They will. It's going to be called House of Shadows.
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by vernonlvincent   » Wed May 07, 2014 4:17 pm

vernonlvincent
Ensign

I think we're going to see that both the rise of the People's Republic and the problems in Silesia are the result of MA "field tests" of their master plan.

At the moment, the only known MA operative in Haven is Jean-Claude Nesbit. My feeling is that we're going to see the various generations of Nesbits and how they influenced things.

Another interesting angle will be whether or not Tony Nesbit is a Mesan agent too. If not, how do they compartmentalize? Are some of the sleepers raised without awareness that they are sleepers?

Clearly, the rise of the PRH didn't deter the condemnation of slavery, since Mesa didn't have much penetration in the PRH until the Pierre coup. So did they lose a lot of people after the PRH was formed? Did they recall most of them, leaving only a skeleton crew to 'maintain the status quo'?

This is going to be a fascinating connect-the-dots exercise, especially if/when elements from the companion book find their way into the main story thread.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Wed May 07, 2014 5:45 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

vernonlvincent wrote:Clearly, the rise of the PRH didn't deter the condemnation of slavery, since Mesa didn't have much penetration in the PRH until the Pierre coup. So did they lose a lot of people after the PRH was formed? Did they recall most of them, leaving only a skeleton crew to 'maintain the status quo'?

This is going to be a fascinating connect-the-dots exercise, especially if/when elements from the companion book find their way into the main story thread.
That assumes the MAlign cared whether Haven enforced the Chernwell Convention. After all they've got their RF system's getting cover by being openly anti-slavery, they may have seen benefits to letting Haven do the same (or at least been basically indifferent on the matter)

But I do also look forward to seeing more about whatever they did do behind the scenes there and how the turmoil hindered, or aided, their plots.
Post by Lilybelle   » Wed May 07, 2014 5:51 pm

Lilybelle
Midshipman

Don't forget--there are lots of ways to be working for MAlign without necessarily being a star line, or even being in the onion at all. Jean-Claude Nesbitt is a Havenite who is being paid to spy for MAlign. It is unlikely he even knows for sure whom he is working for. Tony Nesbitt has been in reach of Honor and Nimitz. Had he any any knowledge about MAlign, it is unlikely Nimitz wouldn't have gotten some clue--or Honor, for that matter.
And even Audrey O'Hanrahan--who is an alpha-line--doesn't work very far inside the onion. She "about the time she graduated from high school and was recruited as an active operator" [CoG] is aware of the Alignment, and knows that they mostly operate off Mesa, but she doesn't know about Darius--by name anyway, or the other member worlds. She's smart enough to figure out a lot of stuff, but what she doesn't know, she can't be forced to tell. Probably only the Detweilers know everything. And yes, they have operators everywhere--on Beowulf, Haven, Manticore and the Andermani Empire. The Treecats are the only insurance policy the Empire has that can tell them who is a knowing--or unknowing--agent for the Alignment.
But look at Damien Harahap. From a Solly client state, working for those who pay him best. Does he know what the Detweiler Dream entails--no way. He's in it for the money, along with probably thousands and thousands of others.
The thing that worries me is all those ships that Torch got after the battle between the State Sec. guys and Luis Rozak--equipped with charges just waiting to be blown up when Mesa gives the signal.
Or Beowulf, frantically installing system defense forts while waiting for the plebiscite to leave the Solarian League, while the League navy prepares to strike - against them, with Alliance ships two hours away. A disaster waiting to happen. Needless to say, I wait impatiently for the next book! :o
Post by Direwolf18   » Wed May 07, 2014 7:00 pm

Direwolf18
Captain of the List

David said in one of the QA sessions that the MA had penetrated the CRAP out of the PRH, and that during the Committees revolution a LOT of alpha lines died. This is in one of the honorcon videos, I'm not sure which one tbh.

Return to Honorverse