Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 140 guests

Whither goest thou, Treecat?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Whither goest thou, Treecat?
Post by Weird Harold   » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:50 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Changer of Worlds
(ca Dec 1910 PD) wrote:
<No, but we may take steps to allow for the consequences,> Golden Voice told him. <That is one reason I say that it is time to end our deception. The People live on only one world; our humans claim three as their own nest places, with many others as the nest places of their allies and friends. I believe it is time that the People also spread their nest places wider, sought ranges on other worlds, as well as this one of our own.>

Since Golden Voice (Samantha) convinced Bright Water Clan to establish the Harrington Treecat Clan on Grayson, telve years have passed. In that time, the treecats have learned sign language, the disaster foreshadowed by Golden Voice has befallen a treecat clan, and treecats have assumed positions as body guards to several sovereigns and leaders of the GA.

Some mention has been made of a few treecats immigrating to live 'wild' on Manticore, but I don't recall any mention of any other treecat emigration or colonies.

So when and where can we expect more Treecat colonization?

Will it strictly be business/employment opportunity that drives expansion or is there some planet somewhere that will attract a colony independent of mankind except for initial transportation.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Re: Whither goest thou, Treecat?
Post by The E   » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:02 am

The E
Admiral

We don't know.

Manticore, Gryphon and Grayson are the most probable places for Treecat colonies, because these are places that Treecats already know, and that are filled with people who know about Treecats.

As to the when, well, the Yawata strike just happened a few months ago. Given how incredibly conservative Treecats are even at the best of times, a concerted emigration effort is probably still some time away.
Post by Weird Harold   » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:25 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

The E wrote:We don't know.

I know, that's why I asked for speculation.

The E wrote:Manticore, Gryphon and Grayson are the most probable places for Treecat colonies, because these are places that Treecats already know, and that are filled with people who know about Treecats.

The fact that Dances on Clouds and/or Heart of Steel control those locations doesn't hurt either -- why haven't we heard of a colony in the Dukey of Harrington on Gryphon? It seems like that could have been slipped in one of her discussions with her Manticoran lawyer.

Post by The E   » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:51 am

The E
Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:The fact that Dances on Clouds and/or Heart of Steel control those locations doesn't hurt either -- why haven't we heard of a colony in the Dukey of Harrington on Gryphon? It seems like that could have been slipped in one of her discussions with her Manticoran lawyer.

My guess is because prior to the Yawata strike, the Cats weren't feeling the pressure to diversify their holdings quite as viscerally. They were willing to dip their toes in as it were with the Harrington Steading colony, but they were not going to start another big colony before the Grayson cats could confirm that everything is working well.

After all, Treecats are incredibly long-lived; waiting a decade or two isn't as much of an issue for them as it would be for a human.
Post by smr   » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:17 am

smr
Vice Admiral

As much as I hate to agree with THE E, the logic is sound and treecats sense of time is much different than humans. I suspect the culture and society of the treecats are going to change very quickly!

The E wrote:
Weird Harold wrote:The fact that Dances on Clouds and/or Heart of Steel control those locations doesn't hurt either -- why haven't we heard of a colony in the Dukey of Harrington on Gryphon? It seems like that could have been slipped in one of her discussions with her Manticoran lawyer.

My guess is because prior to the Yawata strike, the Cats weren't feeling the pressure to diversify their holdings quite as viscerally. They were willing to dip their toes in as it were with the Harrington Steading colony, but they were not going to start another big colony before the Grayson cats could confirm that everything is working well.

After all, Treecats are incredibly long-lived; waiting a decade or two isn't as much of an issue for them as it would be for a human.
Post by Weird Harold   » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:23 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

smr wrote:As much as I hate to agree with THE E, the logic is sound and treecats sense of time is much different than humans. I suspect the culture and society of the treecats are going to change very quickly!

A Rising Thunder
(ca Jun 1922 PD wrote:
<And you would not have the People risk themselves for those they do not love,> Sorrow Singer signed and gave a slow, human-style nod. <That is what I would have expected from you, Dances on Clouds. But this choice is for the People, and we have made it. Speaks from Silence>—she nodded again, this time in Arif’s direction—<has labored long to help us find ways we may become true partners with our two-leg neighbors, as Golden Voice urged. Now we have found one, and one which will allow us in at least some small way to strike back against the slayers of my clan.>

The small, dappled creature gazed into Honor’s eyes once more.

<The People know how to deal with those who would slay us,> her implacable fingers said with iron determination. <We know how to deal with those who would slay those we love. Do not forget how Death Fang’s Bane and Climbs Quickly first met. They fought, and they bled, and each almost died for the other. Now it is our turn, and we wish you to go to Soul of Steel and Truth Seeker. Tell them the People—all the People of this entire world—know who would protect them and who would slay them. We know how you and your clan have always loved and protected and shielded us from harm, Dances on Clouds. But the time has come for that to change, and we do not choose to be kittens forever. If you would guard us, then we will guard you, and if we die as Far Climber did, as Climbs Quickly almost did, as Laughs Brightly has almost died for you and you for him, then we will die. But we will not hide. We will not be children. If you will fight for all this world, for all of us, then we will fight for you.>

and:

A rising Thunder
ca Jun 1922 PD wrote:
“I guess not.” Pritchart chuckled and started to press the button to terminate the connection, then paused. “Oh! While I’m thinking about it. One other point Leslie raised in her message was to ask where we were on the possibility of getting treecats assigned to critical personnel in Nouveau Paris. She knows that’s really up to the ’cats, and she’s not trying to push anybody into leaning on them, but it seems the security services back home are taking the possibility of nanotech assassinations very seriously.”

“I’ll discuss it with Dr. Arif and Sorrow Singer tomorrow morning, early,” Elizabeth assured her. “From my last conversation with them, I’d say we’ll probably be able to send at least a couple of dozen home with you after the wedding. Maybe more, for that matter.”

That would seem to suggest that Treecat's have decided to boost emigration and Haven is next on their list.

A Rising Thunder
ca June 1922 PD
(First meeting of the Grand Alliance) wrote:
...Accordingly, the Andermani battle squadrons attached to Eighth Fleet had been withdrawn to Trevor’s Star, and no Andermani officers were present.

If they were missing, however, there were more than enough treecats present to make up for their absence.

Nimitz, Samantha, and Ariel would have been there anyway, but now treecats sat on the backs of Benjamin’s, Pritchart’s, Theisman’s, Tourville’s, her Uncle Jacques’, Caparelli’s, and Grantville’s chairs as well, and it was virtually certain that everyone else sitting at that table would be receiving his or her own personal furry bodyguard very shortly.

Beowulf is apparently on their list, too, but the Anderman Empire isn't -yet. From Honor's conversation with Chien-lu Anderman, bodyguards need some support from their clan or a bond with a human and Potsdam is too far from clan support -- at the moment.

Post by Garth 2   » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:00 pm

Garth 2
Captain of the List

[quote="Weird Harold

Beowulf is apparently on their list, too, but the Anderman Empire isn't -yet. From Honor's conversation with Chien-lu Anderman, bodyguards need some support from their clan or a bond with a human and Potsdam is too far from clan support -- at the moment.
.[/quote]

That doesn't make sense - the Anderman Empire is a lot closer to Manticore than Haven, and Treecats are already planning to head that way.

I suspect that every planet within the Manticore/Grand Alliance will eventually have a thriving Treecat colony, have to wonder what effect that will have on Human evolution - ESP here we come. :P
Post by Howard T. Map-addict   » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:08 pm

Howard T. Map-addict
Rear Admiral

Problem: the more Treecat colonies there are,
the more chances for Mesans to capture some.

HTM

Garth 2 wrote:[quote="Weird Harold

That doesn't make sense - the Anderman Empire is a lot closer to Manticore than Haven, and Treecats are already planning to head that way.

I suspect that every planet within the Manticore/Grand Alliance will eventually have a thriving Treecat colony, have to wonder what effect that will have on Human evolution - ESP here we come. :P[/quote]
Post by Garth 2   » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:22 pm

Garth 2
Captain of the List

[quote="Howard T. Map-addict"]Problem: the more Treecat colonies there are,
the more chances for Mesans to capture some.

HTM

quote]

potentially but hopefully they will have their hands full with the GA and not have enough time do anything with the data (they already captured one and haven't managed to work it out with effectively unlimited resources, which indicates that its not purely genetic but a structural/'dimensional' component, might even need a Treecat as a catalyst).

But for the Treecats there's an entire galaxy out there for them to explore with or without Humanity.
Post by SWM   » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:21 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

House of Steel says that, as of 1920 P.D., there was already a treecat colony on the Harrington estates on Gryphon, in addition to Grayson.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine

Return to Honorverse