Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 147 guests

Whither goest thou, Treecat?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Whither goest thou, Treecat?
Post by n7axw   » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:36 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
smr wrote:As much as I hate to agree with THE E, the logic is sound and treecats sense of time is much different than humans. I suspect the culture and society of the treecats are going to change very quickly!

A Rising Thunder
(ca Jun 1922 PD wrote:
<And you would not have the People risk themselves for those they do not love,> Sorrow Singer signed and gave a slow, human-style nod. <That is what I would have expected from you, Dances on Clouds. But this choice is for the People, and we have made it. Speaks from Silence>—she nodded again, this time in Arif’s direction—<has labored long to help us find ways we may become true partners with our two-leg neighbors, as Golden Voice urged. Now we have found one, and one which will allow us in at least some small way to strike back against the slayers of my clan.>

The small, dappled creature gazed into Honor’s eyes once more.

<The People know how to deal with those who would slay us,> her implacable fingers said with iron determination. <We know how to deal with those who would slay those we love. Do not forget how Death Fang’s Bane and Climbs Quickly first met. They fought, and they bled, and each almost died for the other. Now it is our turn, and we wish you to go to Soul of Steel and Truth Seeker. Tell them the People—all the People of this entire world—know who would protect them and who would slay them. We know how you and your clan have always loved and protected and shielded us from harm, Dances on Clouds. But the time has come for that to change, and we do not choose to be kittens forever. If you would guard us, then we will guard you, and if we die as Far Climber did, as Climbs Quickly almost did, as Laughs Brightly has almost died for you and you for him, then we will die. But we will not hide. We will not be children. If you will fight for all this world, for all of us, then we will fight for you.>

and:

A rising Thunder
ca Jun 1922 PD wrote:
“I guess not.” Pritchart chuckled and started to press the button to terminate the connection, then paused. “Oh! While I’m thinking about it. One other point Leslie raised in her message was to ask where we were on the possibility of getting treecats assigned to critical personnel in Nouveau Paris. She knows that’s really up to the ’cats, and she’s not trying to push anybody into leaning on them, but it seems the security services back home are taking the possibility of nanotech assassinations very seriously.”

“I’ll discuss it with Dr. Arif and Sorrow Singer tomorrow morning, early,” Elizabeth assured her. “From my last conversation with them, I’d say we’ll probably be able to send at least a couple of dozen home with you after the wedding. Maybe more, for that matter.”

That would seem to suggest that Treecat's have decided to boost emigration and Haven is next on their list.

A Rising Thunder
ca June 1922 PD
(First meeting of the Grand Alliance) wrote:
...Accordingly, the Andermani battle squadrons attached to Eighth Fleet had been withdrawn to Trevor’s Star, and no Andermani officers were present.

If they were missing, however, there were more than enough treecats present to make up for their absence.

Nimitz, Samantha, and Ariel would have been there anyway, but now treecats sat on the backs of Benjamin’s, Pritchart’s, Theisman’s, Tourville’s, her Uncle Jacques’, Caparelli’s, and Grantville’s chairs as well, and it was virtually certain that everyone else sitting at that table would be receiving his or her own personal furry bodyguard very shortly.

Beowulf is apparently on their list, too, but the Anderman Empire isn't -yet. From Honor's conversation with Chien-lu Anderman, bodyguards need some support from their clan or a bond with a human and Potsdam is too far from clan support -- at the moment.

There is textev for a treecat colony on Gryphon on Duchess Harrington's holdings there, but I don't remember the source.

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Imaginos1892   » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:13 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

Another thing to consider is that treecats have legal status as citizens throughout the Star Empire, and I strongly suspect they have a similar status on Grayson; certainly within Harrington Steading.

This is not the case elsewhere. I'm sure Beowulf will do something, and probably Haven, but there could be risks beyond the obvious for treecats setting up colonies further afield. I certainly wouldn't want to see any moving to the Solarian League at present.
------------------
Long ago, when men cursed and beat the ground with sticks, they called it witchcraft. Now they call it golf.
Post by roseandheather   » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:29 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

Imaginos1892 wrote:Another thing to consider is that treecats have legal status as citizens throughout the Star Empire, and I strongly suspect they have a similar status on Grayson; certainly within Harrington Steading.

This is not the case elsewhere. I'm sure Beowulf will do something, and probably Haven, but there could be risks beyond the obvious for treecats setting up colonies further afield. I certainly wouldn't want to see any moving to the Solarian League at present.

Agreed. No doubt Eloise already has something on the stove regarding treecats - it sounds like they're basically going to establish a colony in Nouveau Paris, and even aside from the whole "being a decent human being" thing she's so big on, it only makes political sense not to tick off the six-limbed furry buzzsaws who have made a radical change in their lifestyle to help keep you alive.

Beowulf might be a bit trickier - it's of course a Manticoran ally, but given that it's also in the heart of the Solarian League, I have my reservations about treecats founding a colony there at the moment. Haven is very, very safe - I'd say as safe as Grayson, if not safer. Beowulf is very, very not.

I also think they'll hold off on founding a colony in the Andermani Empire, for the simple reason that sending a colony of treecats there would not exactly help maintain the polite fiction that the Andermani aren't really part of the Grand Alliance - which they are in pretty much everything but name.

Right now Haven looks like the best bet, and not just because it's my Republic - there are a lot of Havenite worlds, and that means a lot of places for the more enterprising treecats to set up shop. Like Warner Caslet's home system of Paroa, for instance...
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by Weird Harold   » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:49 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

SWM wrote:House of Steel says that, as of 1920 P.D., there was already a treecat colony on the Harrington estates on Gryphon, in addition to Grayson.

Ah. I missed that or forgot it.

re: no treecats to the Anderman Empire: Since they were not joining the Grand Alliance, there wasn't the urgency of protecting more than the head of state -- eg Gregor. The discussion between Honor and Chien-lu that bodyguard would have been the only treecat on Potsdam.

The majority of treecats going to Haven are going as bodyguards, not colonists, but there are enough bodyguards for mutual support. The addition of a few females and memory singers would make it a "colony."
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by Michael Everett   » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:17 am

Michael Everett
Admiral

I think there should be a colony going to Montana.
We have textev that there are plenty of trees and I just can't get the mental image of treecats riding horses out of my head.
With their telepathy, they'd be great at working in unison to round up bison etc.
Maybe Steve Westman would host the first colony, he's about as stubborn as a normal treecat...
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by Weird Harold   » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:05 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Michael Everett wrote:I just can't get the mental image of treecats riding horses out of my head.

That could be a fun short story! Maybe one of RFC's co-authors will take the bait.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by namelessfly   » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:57 am

namelessfly

Imaginos1892 wrote:Another thing to consider is that treecats have legal status as citizens throughout the Star Empire, and I strongly suspect they have a similar status on Grayson; certainly within Harrington Steading.

------------------
Long ago, when men cursed and beat the ground with sticks, they called it witchcraft. Now they call it golf.

Treecats are SEM citizens.

As the folks atbSaltash can attest, the RMN takes a rather dim view of foreigners who abuse SEM citizens and moves aggressively to safeguard them.

Who in their right mind would risk provoking a response from a squadron of Rollands, Saganimis, Nikes or SD(P)s to screw with a Treecat?
Post by kzt   » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:19 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

namelessfly wrote:Treecats are SEM citizens.

As the folks atbSaltash can attest, the RMN takes a rather dim view of foreigners who abuse SEM citizens and moves aggressively to safeguard them.

Who in their right mind would risk provoking a response from a squadron of Rollands, Saganimis, Nikes or SD(P)s to screw with a Treecat?

I'm thinking someone who doesn't give a damn what some neo-barb says. Or someone who has already demonstrated their willingness to break lots of things and kill lots of people to achieve their objectives.
Post by Dafmeister   » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:56 pm

Dafmeister
Commodore

kzt wrote:
namelessfly wrote:Treecats are SEM citizens.

I'm thinking someone who doesn't give a damn what some neo-barb says. Or someone who has already demonstrated their willingness to break lots of things and kill lots of people to achieve their objectives.

Neither of whom are in short supply, even in the 21st century P.D.
Post by TangoLima   » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:06 pm

TangoLima
Captain (Junior Grade)

From the second Rose out of order snippet
there is a small colony at White Haven.

My speculated colony location are, the Protectors
Palace, Mount Royal Palace, and eventually Beowulf.
Treecat interaction with Beowulf foxbears presents
all sorts of intriguing possibilities.

Return to Honorverse