Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 41 guests

Terraforming, Quantification, Techniques and Limitations.

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Terraforming, Quantification, Techniques and Limitations
Post by Annachie   » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:48 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

The topic as presented is sub light not FTL, so current Honorverse conditions don't really aply.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by Michael Everett   » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:28 am

Michael Everett
Admiral

A good example is found in the Vorkosigan Saga by Lois McMaster Bujold with the planet Komarr where the entire population lives in domed cities while using waste heat, reflected sunlight and bio-engineered organisms to slowly terraform the planet into something that humans can live on.
One of the characters speculates that by the time it's done, the Komarrans will be unable to actually leave the domes due to becoming almost genetically agrophobic (or however it's spelled), but the process is noticably speeded up when the orbital mirror is almost doubled in size to the point that it'll take only a few centuries rather than the millenium formerly estimated. Using the words only and centuries together? Wow, sci-fi really messes with your sense of scale.
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by namelessfly   » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:14 am

namelessfly

Michael Everett wrote:A good example is found in the Vorkosigan Saga by Lois McMaster Bujold with the planet Komarr where the entire population lives in domed cities while using waste heat, reflected sunlight and bio-engineered organisms to slowly terraform the planet into something that humans can live on.
One of the characters speculates that by the time it's done, the Komarrans will be unable to actually leave the domes due to becoming almost genetically agrophobic (or however it's spelled), but the process is noticably speeded up when the orbital mirror is almost doubled in size to the point that it'll take only a few centuries rather than the millenium formerly estimated. Using the words only and centuries together? Wow, sci-fi really messes with your sense of scale.

I have to start reading this author.

Thank you for revealing them to me.
Post by SWM   » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:37 am

SWM
Fleet Admiral

namelessfly wrote:
Michael Everett wrote:A good example is found in the Vorkosigan Saga by Lois McMaster Bujold with the planet Komarr where the entire population lives in domed cities while using waste heat, reflected sunlight and bio-engineered organisms to slowly terraform the planet into something that humans can live on.

I have to start reading this author.

Thank you for revealing them to me.

Bujold is good. You'll like Miles Vorkosigan. Talk about a flawed hero!
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by drothgery   » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:04 pm

drothgery
Admiral

SWM wrote:Bujold is good. You'll like Miles Vorkosigan. Talk about a flawed hero!
Though I don't think Cordellia, Elena, Taura, Elli, Rowan, Ekaterin, or Tej has a shower scene ...
Post by namelessfly   » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:30 pm

namelessfly

drothgery wrote:
SWM wrote:Bujold is good. You'll like Miles Vorkosigan. Talk about a flawed hero!
Though I don't think Cordellia, Elena, Taura, Elli, Rowan, Ekaterin, or Tej has a shower scene ...

Man can not live by shower scenes alone.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:59 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

drothgery wrote:
Miles does have at least one ice bath scene.

But that's a quite different thing :D

edit: Actually doesn't Ekaterin have a brief scene in a shower in A Civil Campaign? Reread that one recently and I seem to recall her musing on <snerk> while showering. [Yep, in Chapter 8]

Return to Honorverse