Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests

HonorCon 2014 attendees?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: HonorCon 2014 attendees?
Post by Spacekiwi   » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:43 am

Spacekiwi
Admiral

As desperate as I am to meet RFC and other fans, unfortunately I can afford to fly around the world, and its also in the middle of my Uni exam period. Hopefully I will be able to attend in a few years, but until then.... :(

I even asked my local sci fi con and Authors festivals about bringin RFC downunder, and they said hes not well known enough, so no. :(
`

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
its not paranoia if its justified... :D
Post by KNick   » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:21 pm

KNick
Admiral

Spacekiwi wrote:As desperate as I am to meet RFC and other fans, unfortunately I can afford to fly around the world, and its also in the middle of my Uni exam period. Hopefully I will be able to attend in a few years, but until then.... :(

I even asked my local sci fi con and Authors festivals about bringin RFC downunder, and they said hes not well known enough, so no. :(

Well, get busy and introduce a bunch of people to his writing so he becomes well known.
_

Try to take a fisherman's fish and you will be tomorrows bait!!!
Post by Spacekiwi   » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:50 am

Spacekiwi
Admiral

Working on it. Introduced my GF and sis to the treecat wars, and my GF is going to read HOTQ in the hols when she has time, as she really likes treecats now....
introduced him to friends as well, and thye like him, but we are all too busy to really read at the moment. when you have 10 assignments in a fortnight, time for reading goes out the window...

a
KNick wrote:
Spacekiwi wrote:As desperate as I am to meet RFC and other fans, unfortunately I can afford to fly around the world, and its also in the middle of my Uni exam period. Hopefully I will be able to attend in a few years, but until then.... :(

Well, get busy and introduce a bunch of people to his writing so he becomes well known.
`

Post by roseandheather   » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:58 am

roseandheather
Admiral

We should form a "must wait several years for HonorCon" support society...

Also, for God's sake, tell your GF to start with On Basilisk Station!! You can't let her miss out on meeting Dame Estelle Matsuko!! Or Alistair, or Rafe, or Scotty, or Harkness, or Fritz...
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by Spacekiwi   » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:52 am

Spacekiwi
Admiral

Shes read it, but didnt like it much. SHe figured She would give hotq a go, on the basis its a later piece of work, in a now more established universe, and his writing would therefore be a bit better for her. SHe just found the depth of the infodumps in OBS too big to keep reading, but now that she has a feel of the tech/history etc from OBS and the Treecat series, she feels she might do better now with HOTQ and onward, and she also promised to see the movie with me when it comes out. We might be able to get DW out here after the movie proves successful though, so heres hoping. :D

As for the society, yeah. Woe to us who have to stay in..... oh well. Still get the books every year, so that at least is nice. :)
roseandheather wrote:
We should form a "must wait several years for HonorCon" support society...

Also, for God's sake, tell your GF to start with On Basilisk Station!! You can't let her miss out on meeting Dame Estelle Matsuko!! Or Alistair, or Rafe, or Scotty, or Harkness, or Fritz...
`

Post by roseandheather   » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:09 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

Spacekiwi wrote:Shes read it, but didnt like it much. SHe figured She would give hotq a go, on the basis its a later piece of work, in a now more established universe, and his writing would therefore be a bit better for her. SHe just found the depth of the infodumps in OBS too big to keep reading, but now that she has a feel of the tech/history etc from OBS and the Treecat series, she feels she might do better now with HOTQ and onward, and she also promised to see the movie with me when it comes out. We might be able to get DW out here after the movie proves successful though, so heres hoping. :D

As for the society, yeah. Woe to us who have to stay in..... oh well. Still get the books every year, so that at least is nice. :)

Okay, yeah, I can see that. I didn't properly fall in love with OBS until after I'd read HotQ either - once I went back and re-read it, I was a bit surprised by how much I loved it. I mean, obviously I liked it enough the first go-round to read book number two, but I didn't really appreciate OBS until I'd got further into the universe.

(Also by that time I'd figured out how to skim the infodumps in a way that maximizes necessary information while avoiding the whole 'math' thing... :lol: )

I'm already doing a jig of impatience for the next book, let me tell you! Fortunately, I have 1632, Safehold, the Belisarius series, the RCN series, and War Gods to keep me occupied. That should hold me until, oh, August. :mrgreen:
~*~

Javier & Eloise
Post by Spacekiwi   » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:49 pm

Spacekiwi
Admiral

Have you tried the Dresden series? Or the Laundry archives? Jim Butcher and Charles stros write pretty cool modern fantasy stories, with prety deep characters.

roseandheather wrote:Okay, yeah, I can see that. I didn't properly fall in love with OBS until after I'd read HotQ either - once I went back and re-read it, I was a bit surprised by how much I loved it. I mean, obviously I liked it enough the first go-round to read book number two, but I didn't really appreciate OBS until I'd got further into the universe.

(Also by that time I'd figured out how to skim the infodumps in a way that maximizes necessary information while avoiding the whole 'math' thing... :lol: )

I'm already doing a jig of impatience for the next book, let me tell you! Fortunately, I have 1632, Safehold, the Belisarius series, the RCN series, and War Gods to keep me occupied. That should hold me until, oh, August. :mrgreen:
`

Post by roseandheather   » Thu May 08, 2014 4:59 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

Spacekiwi wrote:Have you tried the Dresden series? Or the Laundry archives? Jim Butcher and Charles stros write pretty cool modern fantasy stories, with prety deep characters.

Both the Dresden Files and Codex Alera are also on my list. :mrgreen: I haven't checked out the Laundry Archives yet though... hmmmm...
~*~

Javier & Eloise
Post by Spacekiwi   » Thu May 08, 2014 6:28 pm

Spacekiwi
Admiral

Codex alera is pretty good as well. the first ones of all 3 are all about using your wits against stronger opponents, as the characters arent skilled enough to stand up against them directly.

roseandheather wrote:
Spacekiwi wrote:Have you tried the Dresden series? Or the Laundry archives? Jim Butcher and Charles stros write pretty cool modern fantasy stories, with prety deep characters.

Both the Dresden Files and Codex Alera are also on my list. :mrgreen: I haven't checked out the Laundry Archives yet though... hmmmm...
`

Return to Honorverse