Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 125 guests

HonorCon 2014 attendees?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
HonorCon 2014 attendees?
Post by cthia   » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:39 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Is anyone planning to attend this year's HonorCon? My niece and I will be there on Oct 31 and Nov.1. Can't make Nov. 2. Originally we could only make Nov.1. Now we can make two consecutive days. My sister wants to meet some forumites before allowing my niece to join. Anyone plan on attending?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Re: HonorCon 2014 attendees?
Post by Hutch   » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:59 pm

Hutch
Vice Admiral

Unless something else comes up, I plan to be there.

And I agree, there should be something organized so that the Forumites can meet each other--it wasn't until the last evening of the 2013 Honorcon that I met Duckk and (IIRC)kzt there (roomed with lyonheart, so I knew him).

Will do some research for nearby restaurants that we can assemble at the night before (and I'll have transportation).
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by cthia   » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:21 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Hutch wrote:Unless something else comes up, I plan to be there.

And I agree, there should be something organized so that the Forumites can meet each other--it wasn't until the last evening of the 2013 Honorcon that I met Duckk and (IIRC)kzt there (roomed with lyonheart, so I knew him).

Will do some research for nearby restaurants that we can assemble at the night before (and I'll have transportation).

Huh, how can that happen. Is it not organized? I assumed everyone would perhaps were name tags received at the door or something similar. I also assumed that most people there would be forumites, and now Evergreen Studio personalities. I have never been. This will be my first so I don't know what to expect. I watched last year's youtube video to get a feel for it. Didn't see anyone in uniform. My niece wants to wear a uniform. We will be in California the week or so prior arriving back in Carolina around noon on Oct.31.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Hutch   » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:46 pm

Hutch
Vice Admiral

cthia wrote:Huh, how can that happen. Is it not organized? I assumed everyone would perhaps were name tags received at the door or something similar. I also assumed that most people there would be forumites, and now Evergreen Studio personalities. I have never been. This will be my first so I don't know what to expect. I watched last year's You Tube video to get a feel for it. Didn't see anyone in uniform. My niece wants to wear a uniform. We will be in California the week or so prior arriving back in Carolina around noon on Oct.31.

Sure, you get tags with your "real" name, but not with your Forum name (hmmm, might be something to consider....)

As for Uniforms, well, there were a few last year...

No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Re: Honorverse series, the future..?
Post by kzt   » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:11 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

I found Hutch when I saw a post he'd just made saying he was using the hotel computers, and I knew where they were in the lobby. So yeah, a more organized approach might work better. I ran into one or two others during programming.

I tentatively plan to be there again.
Post by SWM   » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:54 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Cthia, would it be better to post this on the Conventions subforum?
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by WLBjork   » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:11 am

WLBjork
Commander

Afraid I'll be missing it, this year at least.

Got to take my Scouts out for the day on the Thursday, which doesn't leave a lot of time to come home, grab my bag, get to the airport and get to the US...
Post by cthia   » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:19 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

SWM wrote:Cthia, would it be better to post this on the Conventions subforum?

Sure. How can it be moved? Is that Duckkdom territory?

Post by cthia   » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:21 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Hutch wrote:
cthia wrote:Huh, how can that happen. Is it not organized? I assumed everyone would perhaps were name tags received at the door or something similar. I also assumed that most people there would be forumites, and now Evergreen Studio personalities. I have never been. This will be my first so I don't know what to expect. I watched last year's You Tube video to get a feel for it. Didn't see anyone in uniform. My niece wants to wear a uniform. We will be in California the week or so prior arriving back in Carolina around noon on Oct.31.

Sure, you get tags with your "real" name, but not with your Forum name (hmmm, might be something to consider....)

As for Uniforms, well, there were a few last year...

Love the pic. My niece is going to go bananas. Now I know why everyone is such a stickler about rank!

Thanks for posting!!

Forum meetup at conventions (wa Re: HonorCon 2014 attendees?
Post by Neitz   » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:28 pm

Neitz
BuNine

cthia wrote:Huh, how can that happen. Is it not organized?

A meetup for forumites would be a great idea! I would be happy to make it an officially scheduled con event at MantiCon, and I can talk to my HonorCon counterpart about doing a forum meetup there, too.

Sound off if you are going to MantiCon in Minnesota 22-24 May, 2015 (next year). Getting a rough count of attending forumites will help to plan out which venue we'd use. Since MantiCon is more than a year away, we'll certainly be able to revisit this thread and get a closer count once people make plans in upcoming months.
cthia wrote:I assumed everyone would perhaps wear name tags received at the door or something similar.

Everyone does receive a convention badge. I can bring up with the Con Committees (of both cons) the possibility that Weber forum members would get a distinctive mark or color on their badges. That seems like something that we could do.

For MantiCon our concept is that badges that will look like "in universe" security clearance badges for Admiralty House or similar, so they will be something that you'll want to keep for your collection. We can probably have a distinctive background color or border color for those who specify themselves as forumites. There is not currently a check-off in the on-line registration to specify that you are a forumite, so we may add one or just have people put it in their comments.
cthia wrote:I also assumed that most people there would be forumites, ...

Not necessarily! For instance, there are now over 2000 members in The Royal Manticoran Navy (TRMN) worldwide, and probably only a small percentage of them are forum regulars. I know that there are lots of other Honorverse fans out there who are not into the whole club thing, too. That means that you will not only get to meet some fellow DW forum regulars, but plenty of other Honorverse fans.

cthia wrote:My niece wants to wear a uniform.

Yes, I am in that HonorCon photo!

Sounds like your niece should join The Royal Manticoran Navy! All of the insignia is available through the organization. We are looking for HonorCon and MantiCon to be the largest gatherings to date of uniformed RMN, RMMC, RMA,and GSN personnel from all over the world.

Everyone, if you have not already done so, I recommend that you "Like" MantiCon and HonorCon on Facebook so you can be in the loop as we announce new features. We have some amazing experiences planned!

MantiCon: http://www.facebook.com/trmnmanticon

HonorCon: http://www.facebook.com/HonorCon

Cheers,
John
-
WESTMARCH
http://BatRon21.org

MANTICON IS COMING!

Return to Honorverse