Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 133 guests

Honorverse Top Ten Tacticians, Strategists

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honorverse Top Ten Tacticians, Strategists
Post by cthia   » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:51 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I realized, from a particular post in the OpForce thread, that I did not post my Top 10 Tactical greats.

Yes, I was stalling. Hey, I have to live with my niece! Besides, she needed time to calm.

Tacticians:

1. Honor Harrington.

1. Esther McQueen.

2. Alfredo Yu. He was Theisman's mentor as much as Courvosier was Honor's. Difference is, Yu was still commanding ships and remained sharp. He essentially becomes Honor's right-hand man, after she learns to trust him. Honor had no qualms about his tactical abilities either, and trusted them. In fact, on a few occasions, Honor and Alfredo played "tactical classroom" with each other.

3. Theisman. Because he was mentored by Yu. Theisman showed a bit of that tactical acumen at Blackbird.

4. Theodosia Kuzak. IMO, inside of Theodosia was a great tactical thinker. It was fitting that she died aboard HMS King Roger III.

5. Lester Tourville.

6. *Shannon Foraker.

7. Hamish Alexander. I'm putting Hamish low on the list because he just didn't show me more of a grasp of tactics than the others that precede him on the list. He always seemed to have half of the RMN's available forces at his disposal, so he won by overwhelming force and superior tech, not by wiles and guiles. (Okay, I stretch the truth a little to make a point. But, thought stands.) He does show a higher propensity for strategy though, which I agree is odd. Although, I do not think that tactical and strategic ability necessarily go hand in hand.

8. Sonja Hemphill. I pondered over where to place Sonja after my split personality told my stable persona that she belongs. I simply have a feeling that she does... indeed belong in the top ten, and the Fleet games support my theory. What bears closer consideration is her style of tactics, witnessed by her peers as being "the head-on confrontational type," IIRC. Hers wasn't necessarily thought of to be the best type of tactics, but I intuit it as a better "feel" for her hardware. After all, that was part of the hallmarks of the second school of tactical thought in which she led called the jeune ecole.

9. Sebastian D'Orville. He was CO of Home Fleet. I don't imagine he was honored to wear that hat if he hadn't displayed tactical, and I would imagine strategic, acumen.

10. Abigail Hearns. I simply must place Abigail on this list as an alternate. She has shown too much tactical ability to be denied. Besides, I must consider her mentor. Do we really want to discount the Salamander's best student?

*I believe that Shannon Foraker could have become the RHN's counterpart to the Salamander, had she been given command. She had the same tactical eye and sixth-sense and redefined and raised the bar as tac-witch extraordinaire - with inferior hardware. I think she exhibited a tactical edge over many, and if this was a contest of "raw" ability, I'd be inclined to place her in the top two. It almost requires a bit more intestinal fortitude than I possess not to do so anyways.

I think Shannon, as Tourville and Caslet's tac-witch, was the wind beneath their wings. At least the polish on their shoes. She was to Tourville as Spock was to Kirk. Kirk was as good only because Spock was always there to take his bacon out of the pan before it was burnt. So to, a similar comparison of Shannon to both Tourville and Caslet.

McQueen, I have placed in a tie with Honor, with perhaps a slight edge to the Salamander because of her uncanny sixth sense. I maintain that had she lived and somehow been present for Operation Beatrice, that Honor could have been killed. McQueen stood so close behind Honor as a tactician that she could smell her choice of shampoo. They both were also superior strategists.
Cthia: Pasted from post #78 in OpForce against OpForce thread.

I wasn't so much as harping on McQueen's presence as seriously altering the absolute outcome, inasmuch as the championing of the Salamander's defeat at the hands of McQueen - which leads to the defeat of Manticore. Because I still maintain that if anyone could have defeated Honor, then she was the she. No, what I mainly propose, is that if McQueen had been present, RFC could have picked that moment to kill off the Salamander.

The way I see it, because of McQueen's superior wiles and cunning, that she would have been in Tourville's position and not have made his mistake. She'd have smelled something amiss and outwaited the Salamander, thus trapping her. Honor would have been killed, had McQueen been present. That being the case, the Manticoran Home system would have fallen. IMHO.

And that's what I'm selling.

Do take note that the RHN almost dominates my top five spots and it is interesting that, IMO, the series interestingly portray the exact same thing. The RHN was more tactically adept, just had inferior ships, tech, and in certain cases of Trevor's Star, position.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by phillies   » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:41 pm

phillies
Admiral

In the Academy, Hearns only finished sixth in her class in tactics. 1-5 are still out there.

cthia wrote:I realized, from a particular post in the OpForce thread, that I did not post my Top 10 Tactical greats.

Yes, I was stalling. Hey, I have to live with my niece! Besides, she needed time to calm.

Tacticians:

1. Honor Harrington.

1. Esther McQueen.

2. Alfredo Yu. He was Theisman's mentor as much as Courvosier was Honor's. Difference is, Yu was still commanding ships and remained sharp. He essentially becomes Honor's right-hand man, after she learns to trust him. Honor had no qualms about his tactical abilities either, and trusted them. In fact, on a few occasions, Honor and Alfredo played "tactical classroom" with each other.

3. Theisman. Because he was mentored by Yu. Theisman showed a bit of that tactical acumen at Blackbird.

4. Theodosia Kuzak. IMO, inside of Theodosia was a great tactical thinker. It was fitting that she died aboard HMS King Roger III.

5. Lester Tourville.

6. *Shannon Foraker.

7. Hamish Alexander. I'm putting Hamish low on the list because he just didn't show me more of a grasp of tactics than the others that precede him on the list. He always seemed to have half of the RMN's available forces at his disposal, so he won by overwhelming force and superior tech, not by wiles and guiles. (Okay, I stretch the truth a little to make a point. But, thought stands.) He does show a higher propensity for strategy though, which I agree is odd. Although, I do not think that tactical and strategic ability necessarily go hand in hand.

8. Sonja Hemphill. I pondered over where to place Sonja after my split personality told my stable persona that she belongs. I simply have a feeling that she does... indeed belong in the top ten, and the Fleet games support my theory. What bears closer consideration is her style of tactics, witnessed by her peers as being "the head-on confrontational type," IIRC. Hers wasn't necessarily thought of to be the best type of tactics, but I intuit it as a better "feel" for her hardware. After all, that was part of the hallmarks of the second school of tactical thought in which she led called the jeune ecole.

9. Sebastian D'Orville. He was CO of Home Fleet. I don't imagine he was honored to wear that hat if he hadn't displayed tactical, and I would imagine strategic, acumen.

10. Abigail Hearns. I simply must place Abigail on this list as an alternate. She has shown too much tactical ability to be denied. Besides, I must consider her mentor. Do we really want to discount the Salamander's best student?

*I believe that Shannon Foraker could have become the RHN's counterpart to the Salamander, had she been given command. She had the same tactical eye and sixth-sense and redefined and raised the bar as tac-witch extraordinaire - with inferior hardware. I think she exhibited a tactical edge over many, and if this was a contest of "raw" ability, I'd be inclined to place her in the top two. It almost requires a bit more intestinal fortitude than I possess not to do so anyways.

I think Shannon, as Tourville and Caslet's tac-witch, was the wind beneath their wings. At least the polish on their shoes. She was to Tourville as Spock was to Kirk. Kirk was as good only because Spock was always there to take his bacon out of the pan before it was burnt. So to, a similar comparison of Shannon to both Tourville and Caslet.

McQueen, I have placed in a tie with Honor, with perhaps a slight edge to the Salamander because of her uncanny sixth sense. I maintain that had she lived and somehow been present for Operation Beatrice, that Honor could have been killed. McQueen stood so close behind Honor as a tactician that she could smell her choice of shampoo. They both were also superior strategists.

I wasn't so much as harping on McQueen's presence as seriously altering the absolute outcome, inasmuch as the championing of the Salamander's defeat at the hands of McQueen - which leads to the defeat of Manticore. Because I still maintain that if anyone could have defeated Honor, then she was the she. No, what I mainly propose, is that if McQueen had been present, RFC could have picked that moment to kill off the Salamander.

The way I see it, because of McQueen's superior wiles and cunning, that she would have been in Tourville's position and not have made his mistake. She'd have smelled something amiss and outwaited the Salamander, thus trapping her. Honor would have been killed, had McQueen been present. That being the case, the Manticoran Home system would have fallen. IMHO.

Do take note that the RHN almost dominates my top five spots and it is interesting that, IMO, the series interestingly portray the exact same thing. The RHN was more tactically adept, just had inferior ships, tech, and in certain cases of Trevor's Star, position.
Post by cthia   » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:53 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

phillies wrote:In the Academy, Hearns only finished sixth in her class in tactics. 1-5 are still out there.

Yes, I'm aware, as indicated in this old post of mine regarding those unlucky students.

cthia wrote:

Hearns later became the first Grayson-born woman to hold a GSN commission and attend the Royal Manticoran Naval Academy at Saganami Island. She was one of Admiral Harrington's star pupils, ranking 14th in her class and 6th in the tactical curriculum.[4]

I'd sure like to know the *unlucky 13 before her who got to turn their tassels first.

And who, pray tell, were the unbelievable 5 students graduating with higher tactical scores?

*Why unlucky? Because she is going to make them all look like they cheated.

cthia wrote:I realized, from a particular post in the OpForce thread, that I did not post my Top 10 Tactical greats.

Tacticians:

1. Honor Harrington.

1. Esther McQueen.

5. Lester Tourville.

6. *Shannon Foraker.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by stewart   » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:20 pm

stewart
Captain of the List

[quote="cthia"]
Choose your top ten, in descending order. Even someone not on the list. Only ten can be sent to Honorverse Tactician's Hall of Fame.

I note that Strategy and Tactics are two slightly different arts --

Tactics (in my mind) being the easier of the two because it is short time-ranged and you have set parameters (1) what do you have ? (2) how do you best use it?

Strategy involves a bigger picture: What may happen (in the future)? What do you have to counter the present and future threat? Can you get what you need in time to be effective? What becomes vulnerable when you move or reassign assets?

That said, in alphabetical order

Tacticians
Alfredo Yu,
-Alice Truman
Esther McQueen,
-Hamish Alexander
Honor Harrington
Judah Yanakov
-Lester Tourville
Michael Oversteegen
-Michelle Henke
-Thomas Theisman

Strategists
Amos Parnell
Esther McQueen,
Hamish Alexander
Honor Harrington
-Mark Sarnow
Raoul Courvosier
Thomas Caparelli
Thomas Theisman
Wesley Matthews
James Bowie Webster

-- Stewart
Let the slings and arrows continue
Post by cthia   » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:25 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

stewart wrote:
cthia wrote:Choose your top ten, in descending order. Even someone not on the list. Only ten can be sent to Honorverse Tactician's Hall of Fame.

Tactics (in my mind) being the easier of the two because it is short time-ranged and you have set parameters (1) what do you have ? (2) how do you best use it?

Strategy involves a bigger picture: What may happen (in the future)? What do you have to counter the present and future threat? Can you get what you need in time to be effective? What becomes vulnerable when you move or reassign assets?

Tacticians
Alfredo Yu,
-Alice Truman
Esther McQueen,
-Hamish Alexander
Honor Harrington
Judah Yanakov
-Lester Tourville
Michael Oversteegen
-Michelle Henke
-Thomas Theisman

Strategists
Amos Parnell
Esther McQueen,
Hamish Alexander
Honor Harrington
-Mark Sarnow
Raoul Courvosier
Thomas Caparelli
Thomas Theisman
Wesley Matthews
James Bowie Webster

-- Stewart

Very interesting, Stewart. You think Yu is a better tactician than McQueen? :o

Your particular placing of Truman on your tacticians list makes me smile. I've always maintained that Truman gives me the impression of harboring a much overlooked tactical genius. I'm looking for RFC to give her her breakout role that really flaunts her stuff. As it stands, her awards has come only as supporting actress err tactician.

I'd really be interested in hearing your reasoning for placing Honor so low on your tactician's list??? That was a mistake, right? :lol:

The first two on your strategist list is awesome. Thumbs up. However, again, I do question the placement of Honor. Remember, she was the only Manticoran to perceive of a strategy to defeat the League. I'll lump her Grand Strategy under strategy. Point being, I think she's displayed and earned a higher placement. And what's up with Caparelli's placement on that list? Hasn't he proved himself?

Hamish a better strategist than Theisman? Very interesting. Perhaps you are considering that behind every great man stands a great woman? Or in Hamish's case, two. :lol:

No way is Hamish better than Honor in either. Heck, she had to discipline him about hardware and future tactics - which, as we saw and Honor already knew, would affect the full spectrum of RMN strategy and tactics.

If Honor had the wherewithal to give Sonja's tech a plug, then she had benefit of a true (strategist/tactician)'s eye.

In regards to Honor and Hamish, if those two aren't the epitome of the student becoming the master, I don't know what is!

Post by munroburton   » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:54 am

munroburton
Admiral

cthia wrote:Very interesting, Stewart. You think Yu is a better tactician than McQueen? :o

Your particular placing of Truman on your tacticians list makes me smile. I've always maintained that Truman gives me the impression of harboring a much overlooked tactical genius. I'm looking for RFC to give her her breakout role that really flaunts her stuff. As it stands, her awards has come only as supporting actress err tactician.

I'd really be interested in hearing your reasoning for placing Honor so low on your tactician's list??? That was a mistake, right? :lol:

The first two on your strategist list is awesome. Thumbs up. However, again, I do question the placement of Honor. Remember, she was the only Manticoran to perceive of a strategy to defeat the League. I'll lump her Grand Strategy under strategy. Point being, I think she's displayed and earned a higher placement. And what's up with Caparelli's placement on that list? Hasn't he proved himself?

Hamish a better strategist than Theisman? Very interesting. Perhaps you are considering that behind every great man stands a great woman? Or in Hamish's case, two. :lol:

No way is Hamish better than Honor in either. Heck, she had to discipline him about hardware and future tactics - which, as we saw and Honor already knew, would affect the full spectrum of RMN strategy and tactics.

If Honor had the wherewithal to give Sonja's tech a plug, then she had benefit of a true (strategist/tactician)'s eye.

In regards to Honor and Hamish, if those two aren't the epitome of the student becoming the master, I don't know what is!

stewart wrote:That said, in alphabetical order

I made the same error and almost jumped out of my skin criticising Parnell being marked as the top strategist. In fact, I'm surprised he's even on that list, given how badly the Peeps screwed up the first war. Yes, it was for a multilude of reasons, not all of which rests on Parnell's head, but he was calling the shots out at Barnett.
Post by cthia   » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:12 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

munroburton wrote:
cthia wrote:

I made the same error and almost jumped out of my skin criticising Parnell being marked as the top strategist. In fact, I'm surprised he's even on that list, given how badly the Peeps screwed up the first war. Yes, it was for a multilude of reasons, not all of which rests on Parnell's head, but he was calling the shots out at Barnett.

My badd. An apology.

But the point of the exercise is to place them in some sort of reigning order.

I was chicken shit initially. I have to live with my niece. She doesn't follow the forums as much anymore. She's much too busy, and I'm relatively safe from her wrath.

Post by Howard T. Map-addict   » Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:46 pm

Howard T. Map-addict
Rear Admiral

At First Nightengale, H A had inferior force -
8 SD, 16 DN - and did manage to escape 56 SDs when
the "Hammer 24" sprung their trap too soon.

But he did go into that trap in the first place,
when a different course would have kept him out of it,
And he did use his missile pods badly, attacking *24*
of "Anvil Group's" 32 SDs, and then patting himself on
the back for not spreading them out among all 32 of them!

8, 10, or 12 would have been better. Had he attacked only
eight, he might have gotten some first-volley kills.
Had he attacked 12, he might have knocked some out of the
wall. Had he attacked ten, with differing quantities
against each, he could have tested their vulnerability.

Meanwhile, McQueen (who had no pods) was concentrating
her fire in truth, upon only 8 of the Manty wallers.

Deduct Tactical Points from Hamish Alexander!

HTM

cthia wrote:

[snip - htm]

[snip - htm]

Post by stewart   » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:43 pm

stewart
Captain of the List

cthia wrote:"stewart"]"cthia"]
Choose your top ten, in descending order. Even someone not on the list. Only ten can be sent to Honorverse Tactician's Hall of Fame.

Tacticians
Alfredo Yu,
-Alice Truman
Esther McQueen,
-Hamish Alexander
Honor Harrington
Judah Yanakov
-Lester Tourville
Michael Oversteegen
-Michelle Henke
-Thomas Theisman

Strategists
Amos Parnell
Esther McQueen,
Hamish Alexander
Honor Harrington
-Mark Sarnow
Raoul Courvosier
Thomas Caparelli
Thomas Theisman
Wesley Matthews
James Bowie Webster

-- Stewart
[/quote]

In regards to Honor and Hamish, if those two aren't the epitome of the student becoming the master, I don't know what is![/quote]

---------------

I was noting my top ten in alphabetical (by first name sort) rather than ranking order. Not sure whether I want to get into a cross-argument over who is best.

That said, I put Parnell and Courvosier in the strategist list as we have seen Parnell more in the strategy roll and Raul taught a generation of captains and admirals on strategy and tactics. Both could be on both, however as I noted I feel the strategist role is the greater of the two arts.

-- Stewart
Post by stewart   » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:53 pm

stewart
Captain of the List

munroburton wrote:
cthia wrote:Very interesting, Stewart. You think Yu is a better tactician than McQueen? :o

--------------------

By the time Barnett happened, Amos Parnell was recovering (if you can call it that) from Corporal (Brigadier) Tresca's hammer on Hades.
Parnell was arrested and (not)executed after 3rd Yeltsin.

-- Stewart

Return to Honorverse