Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 42 guests

Honorverse Top Ten Tacticians, Strategists

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Honorverse Top Ten Tacticians, Strategists
Post by cthia   » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:20 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

A small snippet of my niece's email to me.

<snip>
Idiots Uncle. Simply idiots. And mother is worried that I'll fall for one of these simpletons? I'm surprised that they can actually read. Being a college student doesn't guarantee intelligence does it? How can Lester Tourville not be on three of the lists? For goodness sake! And Hamish Alexander is listed at ninth place on one of the lists? At first I thought they just hadn't read all of the stories, but they have. Were you a jackass in college as well Uncle?

<snip>
One guy has Hamish ahead of Honor. Ok, I respect that, however if he thinks Hamish is so talented how can he not have Esther McQueen on his list? After all, McQueen was his one match at Trevor's Star, perhaps even better than he! <snip>

My sister is a bit irritated with me that my twelve year old niece is so upset with a group of eleven college students she recently met at her piano recital. They've been communicating about the top 10 tacticians in the Honorverse. And it is quite heated. They are arguing over position on the list and certain people not making the list. I admit, it is difficult to do. I'm too chicken to send her my list. She's so hot at the moment that she'd melt a geiger counter at ten paces! Choose your top ten, in descending order. Even someone not on the list. Only ten can be sent to Honorverse Tactician's Hall of Fame.

-Honor Harrington
-Lester Tourville
-Hamish Alexander
-Aivars Terekhov
-Javier Giscard
-Michelle Henke
-Sebastian D'Orville
-Theodosia Kuzak
-Mark Sarnow
-Augustus Khumalo
-Alice Truman
-Esther Mcqueen
-Yancey Parks
-Judah Yanakov
-Alfredo Yu
-Thomas Theisman
-Francis Yeargin

Last edited by cthia on Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Re: Honorverse Top Ten Tacticians
Post by roseandheather   » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:31 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

-Honor Harrington
-Mark Sarnow
-Lester Tourville
-Hamish Alexander
-Thomas Theisman
-Judah Yanakov
-Abigail Hearns
-Michelle Henke
-Michael Oversteegen
-Aivars Terekhov

In no particular order, because I don't want to be eaten!!

(Honorable mentions to Jennifer Bellefeuille, Esther McQueen, Alfredo Yu, Wesley Matthews, and Theodosia Kuzak.)
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by cthia   » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:35 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

roseandheather wrote:-Honor Harrington
-Mark Sarnow
-Lester Tourville
-Hamish Alexander
-Thomas Theisman
-Judah Yanakov
-Abigail Hearns
-Michelle Henke
-Michael Oversteegen
-Aivars Terekhov

(Honorable mentions to Jennifer Bellefeuille, Esther McQueen, Alfredo Yu, Wesley Matthews, and Theodosia Kuzak.)

Chicken shit? I know the feeling. She won't accept mine out of order. I am stalling!

Esther McQueen not on your list?
You been drinking? :lol:

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by roseandheather   » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:42 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

cthia wrote:
-Mark Sarnow
-Lester Tourville
-Hamish Alexander
-Thomas Theisman
-Judah Yanakov
-Abigail Hearns
-Michelle Henke
-Michael Oversteegen
-Aivars Terekhov

Chicken shit? I know the feeling. She won't accept mine out of order. I am stalling!

Absolutely chicken shit! :lol:

Abigail bumped her. Esther was one of the all-time tactical greats, but Abby has more raw talent. Not by much, but she does.
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by cthia   » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:54 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

-Mark Sarnow
-Lester Tourville
-Hamish Alexander
-Thomas Theisman
-Judah Yanakov
-Abigail Hearns
-Michelle Henke
-Michael Oversteegen
-Aivars Terekhov

cthia wrote:

Rose wrote:
Absolutely chicken shit! :lol:

Abigail bumped her. Esther was one of the all-time tactical greats, but Abby has more raw talent. Not by much, but she does.

You can say that. I can't. I've got to live with this powder keg!

Post by saber964   » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:26 pm

saber964
Admiral

cthia wrote:A small snippet of my nieces email to me.

<snip>
Idiots Uncle. Simply idiots. And mother is worried that I'll fall for one of these simpletons? I'm surprised that they can actually read. Being a college student doesn't guarantee intelligence does it? How can Lester Tourville not be on three of the lists? For goodness sake! And Hamish Alexander is listed at ninth place on one of the lists? At first I thought they just hadn't read all of the stories, but they have. Were you a jackass in college as well Uncle?

<snip>
One guy has Hamish ahead of Honor. Ok, I respect that, however if he thinks Hamish is so talented how can he not have Esther McQueen on his list? After all, McQueen was his one match at Trevor's Star, perhaps even better than he! <snip>

My sister is a bit irritated with me that my twelve year old niece is so upset with a group of eleven college students she recently met at her piano recital. They've been communicating about the top 10 tacticians in the Honorverse. And it is quite heated. They are arguing over position on the list and certain people not making the list. I admit, it is difficult to do. I'm too chicken to send her my list. She's so hot at the moment that she'd melt a geiger counter at ten paces! Choose your top ten, in descending order. Even someone not on the list. Only ten can be sent to Honorverse Tactician's Hall of Fame.

-Honor Harrington
-Lester Tourville
-Hamish Alexander
-Aivars Terekhov
-Javier Giscard
-Michelle Henke
-Sebastian D'Orville
-Theodosia Kuzak
-Mark Sarnow
-Augustus Khumalo
-Alice Truman
-Esther Mcqueen
-Yancey Parks
-Judah Yanakov
-Alfredo Yu
-Thomas Theisman
-Francis Yeargin

You can't have Augustus Khumalo in this list because he has never fought in battle and he is more of an administrator
Post by cthia   » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:34 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

saber964 wrote:
You can't have Augustus Khumalo in this list because he has never fought in battle and he is more of an administrator

Not my list Saber.

Post by BrightSoul   » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:41 pm

BrightSoul
Rear Admiral

I'll give it a go, in no particular order first... putting them in order would tax my post work brain too hard and delay me for hours.

Raoul Courvosier
Honor Harrington
Tom Theisman
Esther McQueen
Hamish Alexander
Javier Giscard
Lester Tourville
Michelle Henke
Aivars Terehkov
Judah Yanakov

-I bumped Sarnow for Henke, her actions in SoF demonstrated strategic thinking at a level we hadn't previously seen from her or many other characters.
-I wanted to put Abigail on but her sample set is too small.
-I'm torn between Aivars and Oversteegan, both are exceptional strategists but Aivar's SoS actions were nothing short of brilliant, building the squadron, scouting the system etc.
-I Really wanted to put Alfredo on this list and might even be convinced to bump Yanakov for him

PS, this ended up pretty close to in order.
Post by Annachie   » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:47 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

BrightSoul makes a good case for why I wouldn't make such a list. I always get confused between tactics and strategy too. :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by cthia   » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:54 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Annachie wrote:BrightSoul makes a good case for why I wouldn't make such a list. I always get confused between tactics and strategy too. :)

:lol:
That is part of my nieces arguing point to the students. She wanted to specify tactics and strategy, and they want to lump it all together. This initial list belongs to the college students, by the way.

Strategy or tactics, name your tune. Ten on the list whatever the reason. Their rules. I'm just the messenger. Too chicken shit to peck order.

Return to Honorverse