Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 71 guests

Hybernation Technology Hint

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Hybernation Technology Hint
Post by namelessfly   » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:27 pm

namelessfly

I just saw this article.

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2014/04/ ... of-oxygen/

At 38,000 feet a human would be subjected to not just extreme cold and a lack of oxygen, the pressure is almost low enough that the blood should boil at normal body temperature. Try getting water to get hot enough to cook anything on Mount Everest.

I would also expect that given no oxygen and the cold, the body would freeze solid producing ice crystals that would rupture cell walls. Perhaps ice crystals form differently at low pressure?

I think that events such as this are hints on how we might do cold sleep hibernation.
Re: Hybernation Technology Hint
Post by namelessfly   » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:42 pm

namelessfly

Here is a chart of atmospheric pressure verses altitude.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/air-a ... d_462.html

At 38,000 feet pressure is about 20KPa or 1/6 of sea level.
Post by namelessfly   » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:45 pm

namelessfly

Here is a chart of boiling point of water verses atmospheric pressure.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/boili ... d_926.html

The kids blood will not boil, but it is close.
Post by aairfccha   » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:07 pm

aairfccha
Commander

namelessfly wrote:Perhaps ice crystals form differently at low pressure?

No you need high pressure for that. Very high pressure, if I interpret the diagram correctly, the first exotic phase appears at about 213 MPa. On the other hand, humans have survived for long periods (days) at dramatically reduced body temperature (Pineau cold sleep!).
Post by SWM   » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:45 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Yeah, low pressure won't do it.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by JohnRoth   » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:48 pm

JohnRoth
Admiral

namelessfly wrote:I just saw this article.

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2014/04/ ... of-oxygen/

At 38,000 feet a human would be subjected to not just extreme cold and a lack of oxygen, the pressure is almost low enough that the blood should boil at normal body temperature. Try getting water to get hot enough to cook anything on Mount Everest.

Maybe they use a pressure cooker?

namelessfly wrote:I would also expect that given no oxygen and the cold, the body would freeze solid producing ice crystals that would rupture cell walls. Perhaps ice crystals form differently at low pressure?

I think that events such as this are hints on how we might do cold sleep hibernation.

There are extremophiles that use anti-freeze to survive at below freezing.
Post by namelessfly   » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:12 pm

namelessfly

I got to peruse the phase chart more carefully. None of the known ices that forms at low pressure has a density greater than water, so freezing should be lethal.

Given the temperature at 38,000 feet, the kid should have been an ice cycle. Theyneed to pay him big bucks to study his physiology.
Post by kzt   » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:41 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

namelessfly wrote:I got to peruse the phase chart more carefully. None of the known ices that forms at low pressure has a density greater than water, so freezing should be lethal.

Given the temperature at 38,000 feet, the kid should have been an ice cycle. Theyneed to pay him big bucks to study his physiology.

I'm told the tires get very toasty, as does the hydraulic systems. Don't know fast the heat is lost.
Post by SWM   » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:42 am

SWM
Fleet Admiral

He's not the first one to survive hiding in the wheel well. It has happened before. Conditions do get quite harsh, but in rare circumstances people can survive it. It's not anything special about his physiology. He got lucky.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by The E   » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:50 am

The E
Admiral

ISTR that the number quoted for survival undere these circumstances is ~25%. It's not all that common, and luck has a lot to do with it; there is very little to learn from a survivor of these incidents with regards to cryogenics.

Hell, not falling out of the wheelwell when the plane lands and breaking every bone in your body upon impact with the tarmac is probably a greater achievement than surviving the cold and lack of oxygen.

Return to Honorverse