Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], phillies and 42 guests

Hybernation Technology Hint

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Hybernation Technology Hint
Post by AirTech   » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:50 am

AirTech
Captain of the List

namelessfly wrote:I just saw this article.

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2014/04/ ... of-oxygen/

At 38,000 feet a human would be subjected to not just extreme cold and a lack of oxygen, the pressure is almost low enough that the blood should boil at normal body temperature. Try getting water to get hot enough to cook anything on Mount Everest.

I would also expect that given no oxygen and the cold, the body would freeze solid producing ice crystals that would rupture cell walls. Perhaps ice crystals form differently at low pressure?

I think that events such as this are hints on how we might do cold sleep hibernation.

Actually the human body will hold up reasonably well at 45,000 feet. The highest unprotected ejection survival was above 52,000 (and he spent over an hour and a half in the air after his parachute opened over a thunderstorm) and a paraglider survived a trip to 32,000 feet (again care of a thunderstorm). Frostbite is possible if exposed to free air but the wheel well of an airliner will not get too far below freezing (the cargo hold is heated and pressurized the same as the cabin and on the other side of a pressure bulkhead from the wheels). Skin suits (yes they do exist) apply 4 psi of force to the skin but do not hold pressure, only the helmet is pressurized (they are more comfortable for females however, as 4 psi applied to the genitals is interesting - custom fitted cups are needed).
Post by aairfccha   » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:51 pm

aairfccha
Commander

SWM wrote:It's not anything special about his physiology. He got lucky.
Not quite, I read about a similar cage years ago and IIRC one key factor of survival was being quite skinny due to cooling down faster, reducing oxygen needs to the level available.

H2S is investigated as alternative hibernation trigger.

http://ub-ed.ub.uni-greifswald.de/opus/volltexte/2013/1470/
the aged rats were exposed for 2 days to a mixture of air and a mild inhibitor of oxidative phosphorylation, hydrogen sulfide (H2S), which resulted in sustained, deep hypothermia (30.8±0.7 ◦C).
Post by SWM   » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:27 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

aairfccha wrote:
SWM wrote:It's not anything special about his physiology. He got lucky.
Not quite, I read about a similar cage years ago and IIRC one key factor of survival was being quite skinny due to cooling down faster, reducing oxygen needs to the level available.

H2S is investigated as alternative hibernation trigger.

http://ub-ed.ub.uni-greifswald.de/opus/volltexte/2013/1470/
the aged rats were exposed for 2 days to a mixture of air and a mild inhibitor of oxidative phosphorylation, hydrogen sulfide (H2S), which resulted in sustained, deep hypothermia (30.8±0.7 ◦C).

Fair enough. I should rephrase that as: it is unlikely that there is anything we don't already know about his physiology that we could learn regarding hibernation.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by saber964   » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:18 pm

saber964
Admiral

The E wrote:ISTR that the number quoted for survival under these circumstances is ~25%. It's not all that common, and luck has a lot to do with it; there is very little to learn from a survivor of these incidents with regards to cryogenics.

Hell, not falling out of the wheelwell when the plane lands and breaking every bone in your body upon impact with the tarmac is probably a greater achievement than surviving the cold and lack of oxygen.

Most commercial aircraft extend there landing gear for landing at about 2-3 miles from the airport and an altitude of 5-8,000 feet. Also the FAA thinks the number of wheelwell stowaways is probably higher than most accounts state because, when the doors open up and a body falls out, what if the plane is over water or a densely wooded area. Several US airport have both take-offs and landing over water like LAX, NY LaGuardia, SFO and Hong Kong IAP.
Post by compro01   » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:31 am

compro01
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

namelessfly wrote:I think that events such as this are hints on how we might do cold sleep hibernation.

Honorverse cyro isn't actually freezing. The people are chilled to close to 0 C, but not quite.

It's basically nothing more than long-term induced hypothermia. This kind of thing is already used experimentally in trauma medicine, though on a much shorter timeframe (i.e. hours rather than centuries).

Return to Honorverse