Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: penny and 69 guests

Interview with David Weber & Eric Flint - Cauldron of Ghosts

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Interview with David Weber & Eric Flint - Cauldron of Ghosts
Post by Vince   » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:23 pm

Vince
Vice Admiral

The main Baen website has part one of an audio interview with David Weber and Eric Flint, where they discuss Cauldron of Ghosts on the Baen Free Radio Hour podcast. Part two will be on next week's podcast.

Baen Free Radio Hour

Name: BFRH 2014 04 18: David Weber and Eric Flint on Cauldron of Ghosts Part 1, and Hard Magic Part 3

Description: David Weber and Eric Flint discuss their New York Times bestseller Cauldron of Ghosts, a new entry in the Crown of Slaves Honorverse series. This is part one of a two-part interview, and Bronson Pinchot reads Larry Correia's Hard Magic, Part 3

Link to Baen Free Radio Hour podcasts:

http://www.baen.com/podcast/podcast.asp
-------------------------------------------------------------
History does not repeat itself so much as it echoes.
Re: Interview with David Weber & Eric Flint - Cauldron of Gh
Post by Ensign Re-read   » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:02 am

Ensign Re-read
Commodore

A result of hearing the interview was that it was nice to hear the pronunciations again. ("Sahn-Juuse"?)

Too bad there's no such equivalent for Safehold.
=====
The Celestia "addon" for the Planet Safehold as well as the Kau-zhi and Manticore A-B star systems, are at URL:
http://www.lepp.cornell.edu/~seb/celestia/weber/.
=====
http://www.flickr.com/photos/68506297@N ... 740128635/
=====
Post by TheMonster   » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:50 am

TheMonster
Rear Admiral

Ensign Re-read wrote:A result of hearing the interview was that it was nice to hear the pronunciations again. ("Sahn-Juuse"?)
I'm surprised anyone familiar with French would not know that the "chat" in "Cachat" is pronounced "Shah".

And hearing discussions of the Mesan machinations made me realize that people who aren't reading the word might think DW was talking about the Masons and Illuminati.
Post by pokermind   » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:33 pm

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

OF interest languages change in time, especially after 2,000 years. Note Latin changed into Portuguese, Spanish, French, Romansh, Italian, Romanian, etc. But one thing has changed, sound recordings, that may speed change by disseminating pronunciation change more rapidly or, slowing by preserving a standard pronunciation. Who knows? Although David Weber noted Standard English from the recordings remained mutually intelligible in the Honorverse, but said nothing of French, Spanish, or other languages. Eric Flint gave his pronunciation and, noted who the name came from in the interview. We can argue to correct pronunciation of current French but, it's the 2000 year old pronunciation in the Honorverse :D

Poker
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.
Post by jgnfld   » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:14 am

jgnfld
Captain of the List

Who knows how we will pronounce Stephen Colbert in 2 millennia?!

pokermind wrote:OF interest languages change in time, especially after 2,000 years. ... Eric Flint gave his pronunciation and, noted who the name came from in the interview. We can argue to correct pronunciation of current French but, it's the 2000 year old pronunciation in the Honorverse :D

Poker
Post by Vince   » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:49 pm

Vince
Vice Admiral

Part 2 of the interview is now up - same link.

Vince wrote:The main Baen website has part one of an audio interview with David Weber and Eric Flint, where they discuss Cauldron of Ghosts on the Baen Free Radio Hour podcast. Part two will be on next week's podcast.

Baen Free Radio Hour

Name: BFRH 2014 04 18: David Weber and Eric Flint on Cauldron of Ghosts Part 1, and Hard Magic Part 3

Description: David Weber and Eric Flint discuss their New York Times bestseller Cauldron of Ghosts, a new entry in the Crown of Slaves Honorverse series. This is part one of a two-part interview, and Bronson Pinchot reads Larry Correia's Hard Magic, Part 3

Link to Baen Free Radio Hour podcasts:

http://www.baen.com/podcast/podcast.asp
-------------------------------------------------------------
History does not repeat itself so much as it echoes.
Post by calyad   » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:57 am

calyad
Midshipman

:D Just listened to the Baen podcast, interview with David and Eric. Great job guys. I just finished 'Cauldron of Ghosts' and 'Like a Mighty Army', and typical fan talk) can't wait for the next in the series. Cauldron finished so abruptly I was in shock for a moment. Wasn't watching the % read. I guess that is what keeps us in tow. Here are my tips - guess you really wanted to know, (ha ha). I would like to see how the world of Mesa progresses, Seccy development etc, and catch up with some of those characters. Also, the two Alignment characters that killed their minder might want to change allegiance (that bit of action, like so much of your action, was excellent). It may be hard, writing about Honorverse, now that peace is sort of breaking out, but we know you will do that universe well!
cheers
Cal (in Western Australia)
Post by glott   » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:43 pm

glott
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Welcome to the forums Calyad. Have fun...but be warned it's addictive.
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*

"...the ability of an entrenched, bureaucratic military to ignore anything which challenges its fundamental working assumptions simply cannot be exaggerated." - David Weber
Post by Bill Woods   » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:13 pm

Bill Woods
Captain of the List

calyad wrote:[snip]
I would like to see how the world of Mesa progresses, Seccy development etc, and catch up with some of those characters. Also, the two Alignment characters that killed their minder might want to change allegiance (that bit of action, like so much of your action, was excellent). It may be hard, writing about Honorverse, now that peace is sort of breaking out, but we know you will do that universe well!
cheers

They're not going to have much chance to defect in the near future. I figure he's going to be our sympathetic viewpoint character on Darius.

Did you notice that one minor character died three times?

Peace breaking out??
----
Imagined conversation:
Admiral [noting yet another Manty tech surprise]:
XO, what's the budget for the ONI?
Vice Admiral: I don't recall exactly, sir. Several billion quatloos.
Admiral: ... What do you suppose they did with all that money?
Post by JohnRoth   » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:03 pm

JohnRoth
Admiral

Bill Woods wrote:
calyad wrote:[snip]
I would like to see how the world of Mesa progresses, Seccy development etc, and catch up with some of those characters. Also, the two Alignment characters that killed their minder might want to change allegiance (that bit of action, like so much of your action, was excellent). It may be hard, writing about Honorverse, now that peace is sort of breaking out, but we know you will do that universe well!
cheers

They're not going to have much chance to defect in the near future. I figure he's going to be our sympathetic viewpoint character on Darius.

Did you notice that one minor character died three times?

Peace breaking out??

Could be, although I don't know why we need a viewpoint character on Darius, unless Albrecht headed somewhere else. From what little we know, Darius doesn't sound all that interesting, and what would be interesting - how the slaves are treated - is something that Zack and Gail wouldn't be all that involved with.

I'm still holding out for their next destination being Parmley Station. Balescu is close enough to Parmley to have been the first target, after all.

We shall see.

Return to Honorverse