Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 60 guests

Interview with David Weber & Eric Flint - Cauldron of Ghosts

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Interview with David Weber & Eric Flint - Cauldron of Gh
Post by JohnRoth   » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:25 pm

JohnRoth
Admiral

calyad wrote::D Just listened to the Baen podcast, interview with David and Eric. Great job guys. I just finished 'Cauldron of Ghosts' and 'Like a Mighty Army', and typical fan talk) can't wait for the next in the series. Cauldron finished so abruptly I was in shock for a moment. Wasn't watching the % read. I guess that is what keeps us in tow. Here are my tips - guess you really wanted to know, (ha ha). I would like to see how the world of Mesa progresses, Seccy development etc, and catch up with some of those characters. Also, the two Alignment characters that killed their minder might want to change allegiance (that bit of action, like so much of your action, was excellent). It may be hard, writing about Honorverse, now that peace is sort of breaking out, but we know you will do that universe well!
cheers
Cal (in Western Australia)

I'd also like to see how Adm. Henke handles Mesa. My suspicion is she'll do a short-term fix with respect to the seccies and require that the provisions in the Mesan constitution with respect to the slaves be enforced. Otherwise she'll kick the can down the road until the delegations from Torch and Beowulf arrive.

Beyond that, I can't really see the Mesan story as being all that central to the rest of the storyline. Maybe one of the two collaborations that David and Eric still have under contract.
Post by roseandheather   » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:38 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

calyad wrote::D Just listened to the Baen podcast, interview with David and Eric. Great job guys. I just finished 'Cauldron of Ghosts' and 'Like a Mighty Army', and typical fan talk) can't wait for the next in the series. Cauldron finished so abruptly I was in shock for a moment. Wasn't watching the % read. I guess that is what keeps us in tow. Here are my tips - guess you really wanted to know, (ha ha). I would like to see how the world of Mesa progresses, Seccy development etc, and catch up with some of those characters. Also, the two Alignment characters that killed their minder might want to change allegiance (that bit of action, like so much of your action, was excellent). It may be hard, writing about Honorverse, now that peace is sort of breaking out, but we know you will do that universe well!
cheers

I'd also like to see what happens on Mesa, both regarding Tenth Fleet and the characters on the ground. I'm also quite curious to see what most of Tenth Fleet pulling out does to the Talbott Quadrant ("second verse same as the first" says any forumgoer who knows me :lol: ), and I'd really like to follow up with Ayako, and also with Zach and Gail. Someone else to send to Bolthole for Sonja and Shannon to grill??

Also, hi! Welcome to the forums! I'm Rose, aka "that girl who's in love with Estelle Matsuko", aka "that girl who's in love with Allen Higgins", aka "that girl who's in love with Augustus Khumalo", aka "that girl who's in love with basically the entire restored Republic of Haven and especially Eloise Pritchart and Tom Theisman". (...I have a bit of a reputation as a floozy for Honorverse characters. This reputation is entirely justified.) Pleased to meet you! I hope you have a great time, and welcome to the fold! :D
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by calyad   » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:50 pm

calyad
Midshipman

They're not going to have much chance to defect in the near future. I figure he's going to be our sympathetic viewpoint character on Darius.

Did you notice that one minor character died three times?

Peace breaking out??[/quote]

Hi Guys! Thank you for the welcome; you brightened my day!

Yes, Zach and Gail on that slave ship are a problem. They would have to have a change of attitude big time, wouldn't they?

A minor character died three times?

and 'peace sort of breaking out' -- I have been reading about the Haven-Manti war for years, haven't you? The fact that that hopeless situation has found a resolution of sorts is such a relief, and I thought it moved aside a bit, towards other characters and situation control, rather than full space war. What do you think?
Post by calyad   » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:31 pm

calyad
Midshipman

by JohnRoth>I'd also like to see how Adm. Henke handles Mesa. My suspicion is she'll do a short-term fix with respect to the seccies and require that the provisions in the Mesan constitution with respect to the slaves be enforced. Otherwise she'll kick the can down the road until the delegations from Torch and Beowulf arrive.

Beyond that, I can't really see the Mesan story as being all that central to the rest of the storyline. Maybe one of the two collaborations that David and Eric still have under contract.

Hi John
Yes, I agree. Hmm. Guess we'll see then.
Post by Imaginos1892   » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:47 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

TheMonster wrote:And hearing discussions of the Mesan machinations made me realize that people who aren't reading the word might think DW was talking about the Masons and Illuminati.

Maybe they are the Illuminati...
Who knows what they'd be up to after 2,000 years.
--------------
If you dream you're at work, can you claim it as overtime?
Post by Bill Woods   » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:25 pm

Bill Woods
Captain of the List

calyad wrote:
Bill Woods wrote:They're not going to have much chance to defect in the near future. I figure he's going to be our sympathetic viewpoint character on Darius.

Peace breaking out??

Hi Guys! Thank you for the welcome; you brightened my day!

Yes, Zach and Gail on that slave ship are a problem. They would have to have a change of attitude big time, wouldn't they?

A minor character died three times?

and 'peace sort of breaking out' -- I have been reading about the Haven-Manti war for years, haven't you? The fact that that hopeless situation has found a resolution of sorts is such a relief, and I thought it moved aside a bit, towards other characters and situation control, rather than full space war. What do you think?
Zach McBryde already seems to think that his brother might have had a point. Hence 'sympathetic viewpoint character'.

Lisa Charteris:
#1) "officially perished in an air car disaster".
#2) died for real.
#3) missing-presumed-vaporized in Saracen Tower. Along with her husband, thanks specifically to that bastard Collin.

Oh, that war! :lol: I'm so past that. It's been four years since Mission of Honor, after all.
----
Imagined conversation:
Admiral [noting yet another Manty tech surprise]:
XO, what's the budget for the ONI?
Vice Admiral: I don't recall exactly, sir. Several billion quatloos.
Admiral: ... What do you suppose they did with all that money?
SPOILER WRNNG!: Interview w David Weber & Eric Flint - C o
Post by lyonheart   » Sat May 17, 2014 3:57 am

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi JohnRoth,

Amen.

Me too.

It was a Wow! type reaction after an all night read, I'm still trying to recover from.

I suspect Eric and David have some fascinating twists on planetary government development in store for us.

I also expect Chein-lu to show up rather soon with a much larger IAN fleet, while HH is less than 13 days away since Visigoth is ~100 LY from Beowulf, so Mesa's sky could soon be full of lots of hostile warships, with interesting results. :D

Given the paradigm change in how the PFF and the rest of the planet sees seccies [including themselves], I can see Mike offering to provide the seccies with armored suits at least as good as the police if not the PFF's [that's what the fleets workshops and fabricators are for 8-) ] NTM equivalent military weapons if the police and their leaders get snarky again. :lol:

Given the free citizens are outnumbered around 5-1 or 2-1 depending on which textev, I think preventing the seccies and slaves from getting the vote became rather moot.

From the snippets, the Torch liaison units will be far too small for quite a while, how they cope will also be "very interesting". ;)

Adding the USA's 2nd Amendment to the Mesan constitution will get a HUGE push for some reason. 8-)

Then there is the towering legendary status of our heroes on the ground, so HH has some real competition now. :D

Then there is all the fun of how the visiting foreign guests totally upset the MAlign's plans in reporting the so-called terrorist attacks on Mesa.

Then there are going to be all those Mesans who are going to be out searching for the MAlign with blood in their eye.

Who will find Darius first? ;)

L

JohnRoth wrote:
cheers

I'd also like to see how Adm. Henke handles Mesa. My suspicion is she'll do a short-term fix with respect to the seccies and require that the provisions in the Mesan constitution with respect to the slaves be enforced. Otherwise she'll kick the can down the road until the delegations from Torch and Beowulf arrive.

Last edited by lyonheart on Sun May 18, 2014 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Re: SPOILER WRNNG!: Interview w David Weber & Eric Flint -
Post by stewart   » Sat May 17, 2014 8:40 pm

stewart
Captain of the List

I also expect Chein-lu to show up rather soon with a much larger IAN fleet, while HH is less than 13 days away since Visigoth is ~100 LY from Beowulf, so Mesa's sky could soon be full of lots of hostile warships, with interesting results. :D

Agreed --

Given the free citizens are outnumbered around 5-1, I think preventing the seccies and slaves from getting the vote became rather moot.

-- The major issue will be integrating the Non-Seccies and the Seccies into a working society. As I recall, there were some "issues" in S.Africa after Botha and company lost power; similar "issues" in the former Rhodesia.

From the snippets, the Torch liaison units will be far too small for quite a while, how they cope will also be "very interesting". ;)

Adding the USA's 2nd Amendment to the Mesan constitution will get a HUGE push for some reason. 8-)

Then there is the towering legendary status of our heroes on the ground, so HH has some real competition now. :D

Will the Seccies (and other Mesans) learn to say "Great Kaja ?"

Then there are going to be all those Mesans who are going to be out searching for the MAlign with blood in their eye.

-- Stewart
Post by Sharp Claw   » Tue May 20, 2014 3:57 am

Sharp Claw
Lieutenant Commander

Bill Woods wrote:
calyad wrote:[snip]
I would like to see how the world of Mesa progresses, Seccy development etc, and catch up with some of those characters. Also, the two Alignment characters that killed their minder might want to change allegiance (that bit of action, like so much of your action, was excellent). It may be hard, writing about Honorverse, now that peace is sort of breaking out, but we know you will do that universe well!
cheers

They're not going to have much chance to defect in the near future. I figure he's going to be our sympathetic viewpoint character on Darius.

Peace breaking out??

Of course the ship Zach & Gail are on isnt actually at Darius yet. Might the captain also consider defecting when he gets a chance to ponder the fate of the other ship that was escaping with him and his own probable fate when he completes his mission for the alignment? With the Gaul removed along with any detonators he might have controlled, the decision to defect is a lot easier. Any deadman switch the Gaul possessed would have already gone off, unless the Gaul was required to enter a code every 24 hours or so to prevent detonation. At any rate they have some tme to find and disarm any self-destruct charges. The captain may or may not know the final destination but he can at least give the Alliance his final rendezvous point and that might get them the ability to capture the alignment ship that does know where Darius is. All Captain Bogunov has to do is turn around and return to Balcescu station & surrender.
Re: SPOILER WRNNG!: Interview w David Weber & Eric Flint -
Post by lyonheart   » Tue May 20, 2014 7:03 am

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi Stewart,

Welcome to the forums, enjoy your favorite simulated beverage on the forum. ;)

Don't you have other comments too? ;)

Given how correct you already? :D

L

stewart wrote:I also expect Chein-lu to show up rather soon with a much larger IAN fleet, while HH is less than 13 days away since Visigoth is ~100 LY from Beowulf, so Mesa's sky could soon be full of lots of hostile warships, with interesting results. :D

Agreed --

Given the free citizens are outnumbered around 5-1, I think preventing the seccies and slaves from getting the vote became rather moot.

-- The major issue will be integrating the Non-Seccies and the Seccies into a working society. As I recall, there were some "issues" in S.Africa after Botha and company lost power; similar "issues" in the former Rhodesia.

Will the Seccies (and other Mesans) learn to say "Great Kaja ?"

-- Stewart
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!

Return to Honorverse