Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 18 guests

Has Weber gone Ecofreak on Us? CoG Spoiler Alert!

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Has Weber gone Ecofreak on Us? CoG Spoiler Alert!
Post by runsforcelery   » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:30 am

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

namelessfly wrote:I am just about finished with CoG. It is far better than ART or SoF.

However; some of the references and assumptions are absurd.

Take Chapter 35 where the cruise ship is sunk, . The authors use a couple who are suffering from seasickness as POV characters to describe events. Fine. Then they state that the latent energy of planetary Ocean impacted by winds dwarfs the energy output of a modern civilization.

The classic article THE ENERGY RESOURCES OF THE EARTH published in Scientific American lists the wind, wave and tidal energy of the Earth as about 400eex12 Watts. I have found no significant, credible dispute to this number.

If you have a planetary population of 10 Billion people, this is works out to only 40 kW per person which is within an order of magnitude of the US energy consumption rate.

Honorverse technology is far, far more energy intensive than modern technology. Example is a small, 2 million ton tramp freighter using fusion rockets to pull 20 gees.

That is 2eex9 Kg x 200 N/Kg = 4eex11 Newtons

The power of a rocket misgiven by P = 1/2 x T x Ve = 1/2 x 4eex12 x 3eex7 m/s = 6eex19 Watts.

The latent energy of your planetary ocean doesn't even come close to the power output of Honorverse fusion technology.

Equally absurd are the comments about high population density cities being desirable because they are more energy efficient with lower ecological impact than suburbs and the inhabitants being better educated. If you have aopulation of 10 billion living in suburbs at say 1,000 square meters per home and a typical occupancy rate of 4 people per dwelling unit, you get 4,000 people per square kilometer and need 2.5 million square kilometers which iscomparable to the State of Texas.

I would love to know if Weber and Flint considered waste heat from mega cities where aside from the main fusion reactors each building has itsown fusion reactor. Concentrate the population so severely and they will boil a river.

I will say only t'wasn't me who did the scene, although some of its hardware aspects were mine, and that (for reasons which have been adduced elsewhere) there was insufficient time for the sort of editing which would have given me the opportunity to look at it and say "Hmmmmm, that doesn't sound right . . . ." ;)

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by pokermind   » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:53 am

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

Given Eric Flint's heart attack, And David Weber's wife's medical problems CoG did not have the time needed to properly proof either by the authors nor by Baen. Some due to pressure by us clamoring fans and, I include myself.

Again we see the truth of the old saw, "Life is what happens to you to foil your plans." Our favorite authors are only human with human frailties and, concerns other than writing. Good luck guys we enjoy your story telling.

Poker
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.
Post by namelessfly   » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:18 am

namelessfly

pokermind wrote:Given Eric Flint's heart attack, And David Weber's wife's medical problems CoG did not have the time needed to properly proof either by the authors nor by Baen. Some due to pressure by us clamoring fans and, I include myself.

Again we see the truth of the old saw, "Life is what happens to you to foil your plans." Our favorite authors are only human with human frailties and, concerns other than writing. Good luck guys we enjoy your story telling.

Poker

This news really lays a guilt trip on me. I knew about Weber's wife getting surgery but not Flint's heart attack.
Post by Hutch   » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:31 am

Hutch
Vice Admiral

namelessfly wrote:
pokermind wrote:Given Eric Flint's heart attack, And David Weber's wife's medical problems CoG did not have the time needed to properly proof either by the authors nor by Baen. Some due to pressure by us clamoring fans and, I include myself.

Poker

This news really lays a guilt trip on me.

You'll get over it... :twisted: 8-)

I knew about Weber's wife getting surgery but not Flint's heart attack.

If this is what pokermind is referring too, it wasn't exactly a heart attack--not that bypass heart surgery is a walk in the park...from ericflint.net

Eric Flint says:

May 8, 2013 at 1:46 PM

I feel fine. People have a misapprehension of what happened. I never had a heart attack or any significant problem. In the course of a more-or-less routine stress test, the EKG results showed an anomaly. As a result, I had an angiogram done, which to the cardiologist’s surprise — and mine, for sure — showed atherosclerosis in four arteries including one major artery that was 99% blocked.

That’s why I had the bypass surgery done. It amount to preventive revascuralization, not something done to fix existing damage to the heart. So far as anyone can tell — and I now have tests done once a year — my heart is in fine shape. I have to monitor it, of course, and I’m now on medication that keeps my blood pressure under control and my cholesterol levels very low.
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by namelessfly   » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:05 am

namelessfly

I confess that I was nit picking quite severely. While I have a few chapters left to read, I can see that the concept of megatowers (actually they are similar to the arcology used in Niven and Pournelle' OATH OF FEALTY) is a key plot element. We see such towers in common use on Haven, Manticore and Beowulf. Aside from the aesthetic and social implications of ultrahigh population density, there is the physics implications. If per capita energy use is on the order of 10 kW per person and you have people crowded in to extremely high density cities of say 100,000 people per Km^2 (New York City) verses suburban densities of 2,000 people per Km^2 then the energy intensity is about:

1eex4 Watts per person x 1eex5 people per square km = 1eex9 Watts per square or 1kW / m^2.

Compare this to average insolation at the Earth's equator of about 400 Watts and it is obvious that this concentration of people and energy consumption (and production) will have a profound impact on the local climate. (which might explain why city people believe in Global Warming Theology). You need to have a river or ocean to cool such a city which is exactly what is done at most high density cities. I expect that Honorverse societies with counter gravity technology for transportation are going to have much higher energy use per person.

It just seems to me that aside from most people preferring to not live in a hive, dispersing a population over a few million square kilometers or a few percent of the planetary surface makes good, ecological sense. This is especially true if countergravity technology enables cheap, point to point air travel with near zero transportation infrastructure.

I could understand Honorverse societies favoring megacities if their planetary populations were tens of billions or hundreds of billions rather than paltry few billion.

runsforcelery wrote:
namelessfly wrote:I am just about finished with CoG. It is far better than ART or SoF.

However; some of the references and assumptions are absurd.

Take Chapter 35 where the cruise ship is sunk, . The authors use a couple who are suffering from seasickness as POV characters to describe events. Fine. Then they state that the latent energy of planetary Ocean impacted by winds dwarfs the energy output of a modern civilization.

The classic article THE ENERGY RESOURCES OF THE EARTH published in Scientific American lists the wind, wave and tidal energy of the Earth as about 400eex12 Watts. I have found no significant, credible dispute to this number.

If you have a planetary population of 10 Billion people, this is works out to only 40 kW per person which is within an order of magnitude of the US energy consumption rate.

Honorverse technology is far, far more energy intensive than modern technology. Example is a small, 2 million ton tramp freighter using fusion rockets to pull 20 gees.

That is 2eex9 Kg x 200 N/Kg = 4eex11 Newtons

The power of a rocket misgiven by P = 1/2 x T x Ve = 1/2 x 4eex12 x 3eex7 m/s = 6eex19 Watts.

The latent energy of your planetary ocean doesn't even come close to the power output of Honorverse fusion technology.

Equally absurd are the comments about high population density cities being desirable because they are more energy efficient with lower ecological impact than suburbs and the inhabitants being better educated. If you have aopulation of 10 billion living in suburbs at say 1,000 square meters per home and a typical occupancy rate of 4 people per dwelling unit, you get 4,000 people per square kilometer and need 2.5 million square kilometers which iscomparable to the State of Texas.

I would love to know if Weber and Flint considered waste heat from mega cities where aside from the main fusion reactors each building has itsown fusion reactor. Concentrate the population so severely and they will boil a river.

I will say only t'wasn't me who did the scene, although some of its hardware aspects were mine, and that (for reasons which have been adduced elsewhere) there was insufficient time for the sort of editing which would have given me the opportunity to look at it and say "Hmmmmm, that doesn't sound right . . . ." ;)
Post by kzt   » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:49 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

I don't have a problem with the towers. No matter how obviously stupid an urban planning idea might seem, you can be pretty much assured that somewhere someone got a huge pile of money to fund it and proved conclusively that is was as obviously stupid as anyone who wasn't an urban planner realized.

For example, I give you the Robert Taylor Homes.

In 50 years people will have forgotten and they will try it again....

No, what annoyed me was the approach to reducing them.
Post by Northstar   » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:56 am

Northstar
Rear Admiral

I shudder to contemplate the sewer requirements of these towers, the water treatment, the garbage.... eew, just eew, not to mention the live in a hive aspects. More eew... but then I am not an urban type person.

How do you supply the incoming food requirements, other logistics... or are we in Solent Green territory... urm ... more eew. :?

I try to quickly gloss over the bits of story that squick me out and concentrate on the bits I like a whole lot.

I liked parts of CoG a lot, other bits not so much. Ah well. I do wish we'd gotten more of Mike's Arrival and fun events pertaining thereto. Perhaps in a future book. I hope. I admit I like more payoff and less enduring squick involving characters I will never see again.

This is a flip side to RFC's character creation magic. He gets me interested very easily in his people. Then if he drops them into never never hear about them again land ... :(

To answer the title of the thread, no, RFC has not gone all ecofreak. I am mildly ecofreaky. RFC is not. :D Well, not so's I notice anyway. :o
Post by Potato   » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:17 pm

Potato
Captain of the List

How do you manage the sanitation and water requirements for a town of 10,000? Planning and rationalization of resources and collection/distribution. It is not any worse than trying to figure out how to make a 8,000,000 ton superdreadnought with a crew of 6,000 self-sustaining; if anything the tower is easier.
Post by namelessfly   » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:26 pm

namelessfly

With enough energy, you just vaporize the sewerage, tearing the molecules down to their constiuent atoms, then recombining into innocuous compounds such as H2O, N2, S, K and the dreaded CO2. Of course if you are doing this then your energy use is going to be more like 100kW per person. IIRC, FROM THE HIGHLANDS mentions common disposal units having such capability and thus being a convienant method to dispose of bodies.

I just do not understand the willingness to live in a hive. Ancient cities were densely populated because of the need to limit the ratio of defensive wall per person protected. In later eras cities tended to be dense to limit transportation and communications distances and time. Thetelephone and automobile enabled less dense suburbs. Honorverse air car technology should enable even greater dispersion.

Northstar wrote:I shudder to contemplate the sewer requirements of these towers, the water treatment, the garbage.... eew, just eew, not to mention the live in a hive aspects. More eew... but then I am not an urban type person.

How do you supply the incoming food requirements, other logistics... or are we in Solent Green territory... urm ... more eew. :?

I try to quickly gloss over the bits of story that squick me out and concentrate on the bits I like a whole lot.

I liked parts of CoG a lot, other bits not so much. Ah well. I do wish we'd gotten more of Mike's Arrival and fun events pertaining thereto. Perhaps in a future book. I hope. I admit I like more payoff and less enduring squick involving characters I will never see again.

This is a flip side to RFC's character creation magic. He gets me interested very easily in his people. Then if he drops them into never never hear about them again land ... :(

To answer the title of the thread, no, RFC has not gone all ecofreak. I am mildly ecofreaky. RFC is not. :D Well, not so's I notice anyway. :o
Post by namelessfly   » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:28 pm

namelessfly

Try going into a crowded bar, climb up on atable and yell "SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!" just to see how people react.

Northstar wrote:I shudder to contemplate the sewer requirements of these towers, the water treatment, the garbage.... eew, just eew, not to mention the live in a hive aspects. More eew... but then I am not an urban type person.

Return to Honorverse