Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: penny and 114 guests

What I don't like

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: What I don't like
Post by Howard T. Map-addict   » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:31 pm

Howard T. Map-addict
Rear Admiral

WinterFlames,
Would you also say that Monks don't reproduce, so
Monasteries (sic) are unlikely to have lengthy futures
as cohesive communities?
And then there were the Shakers.
It is the Immigrants that keep them going.

HTM

SaganamiFan wrote:
WinterFlames wrote:the LBGT (or whatever) community doesn't reproduce. they are unlikely to have a lengthy future as a cohesive community like we see it now.

Yeah... as godfather of the natural child of a transgender person and uncle of the natural child of a bisexual person, I'm gonna have to call bovine manure on that. If anything, modern reproductive medicine makes the reproduction of such traits, if they are genetic, even more likely.

[snip - htm]

Post by Brigade XO   » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:53 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

[quote=]
Only point I'd make is that the separation of state and church has yet to become a "nonissue with mankind in the main."[/quote]

There certainly seem to be a lot of people (in the US and elsewhere) who seem determined to put The State back under the direct direction of THEIR Church no matter what other rhetoric they may be spouting. That includes their own interpretations of what the Religion (or variant there of) they insist they belong to.

God save us from Theocracy’s
Post by Northstar   » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:40 pm

Northstar
Rear Admiral

Brigade XO wrote:[quote=]
Only point I'd make is that the separation of state and church has yet to become a "nonissue with mankind in the main."

There certainly seem to be a lot of people (in the US and elsewhere) who seem determined to put The State back under the direct direction of THEIR Church no matter what other rhetoric they may be spouting. That includes their own interpretations of what the Religion (or variant there of) they insist they belong to.

God save us from Theocracies

It is frustrating that such folk do not comprehend there would be a little problem with whose version of the rules would apply. Could make the Reformation look like a kiddie picnic. Allowing no one's personal rules to apply generally protects everyone, including the folks who have this need to make their rules apply to everyone else. The 1st Amendment tries to protect us all and that was the intention.

Flip side: what folks want to believe and what rules they want to make for their own, within their own private lives, --- within reason. No human sacrifice etc, I mean get real - :?, needs to also be respected as well.

Freedom to be yourself needs to go hand in hand with allowing others the same freedom, with courtesy and respect that those walls protect us all. I hope this will have settled into the behavior of most human societies in future millennia, ala Manticores's generally live and let live modus operandi, but I expect there will still be persons who are afraid of difference and crave super conformity, rather like Grayson in HotQ. Or Refuge in Sword. But just as Masada does not have the right to use force to inflict its version of religion on others, persons now need to understand they likewise should do their own thing and let others do theirs in peace and mutual respect.

To the Christians.. Jesus said something about as you've done onto others you have done unto Him. There is a quite serious warning in that which ... should be heeded more. My opinion. YMMV. :)
Post by KNick   » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:28 pm

KNick
Admiral

To Northstar's post, I would just like to add that the Bible also has a line "Love thy neighbor as thyself". No mention of race, religion, gender or anything else to get in the way.
_

Try to take a fisherman's fish and you will be tomorrows bait!!!
Post by roseandheather   » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:41 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

WinterFlames wrote:the LBGT (or whatever) community doesn't reproduce. they are unlikely to have a lengthy future as a cohesive community like we see it now.

Really? I don't reproduce? Even though I very much plan on having children someday? Does that mean I can stop spending four days out of every month hating the entire world? Because that would be nice.
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by TheMonster   » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:31 pm

TheMonster
Rear Admiral

Howard T. Map-addict wrote:WinterFlames,
Would you also say that Monks don't reproduce, so
Monasteries (sic) are unlikely to have lengthy futures
as cohesive communities?
And then there were the Shakers.
It is the Immigrants that keep them going.

Where are the Shakers?

And what do you call "immigrants" with respect to homosexuality? (Be very careful how you answer, because the R-word is politically incorrect.)

Monastic enclaves can only exist within the larger community that sends sons and daughters off to abbeys, monasteries and convents. They can only be a small minority of that larger community under historic levels of fertility and maternal, infant, and child mortality before demographic collapse occurs.

Many societal norms with regard to sexuality are implicitly based on the hard facts of those fertility/mortality statistics. One of the reasons why most cultures reserve the most dangerous jobs for men is because we're dispensable in the reproductive equation, while fertile females most definitely are not.

DW has written much about how well a 3:1 sex ratio can function, but do notice that he didn't flip it the other way like Heinlein did in The Moon is a Harsh Mistress (which grew its population at first by various deportations from Earth, and had 21st-century medical care available in any event, unlike Grayson through its early history).

So long as there are enough men to do those dangerous jobs like hunting large animals so that the tribe can eat, and the incidence of outright male homosexuality (as opposed to bisexuality) doesn't get awfully high, the men who are willing to keep all those fertile women serially pregnant are sufficient to maintain positive population growth despite the high rates of maternal, infant, and child mortality. (Women who don't find men sexually attractive, but are willing to occasionally put up with one as a necessary evil to get pregnant, are in this respect roughly equivalent to fully-heterosexual women, but those who flat refuse to make any babies are definitely a negative in this equation. Modern techniques of artificial insemination allow the man to be somewhat detached from this process.)

The limiting factor on population in such cases is "How many girls can the average woman bear that survive to become mothers themselves?" If that number is greater than one, there can be population growth, (provided that in addition to the girls, a few boys also live long enough to reproduce) but if it is less than one, there can't.

So it's 100% understandable that Grayson society was resistant to letting women go out and work in places like Blackbird, and Oyster Bay is likely to cause a lot of people who were previously willing to go along with the new ways to have second thoughts about it.

By contrast, Manticore has Prolong and good enough medical care that fertile women aren't nearly such a precious resource, which is why there are so many women in the RMN compared to the GSN.
Post by Imaginos1892   » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:48 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

Brigade XO wrote:
Only point I'd make is that the separation of state and church has yet to become a "nonissue with mankind in the main."

Yep. Most fundies interpret "religious freedom" as their freedom to take away everybody else's freedom. In most places that have official "religious freedom", the reality is a Mexican standoff in which no group is strong enough to oppress all the rest.

I like how Eric Flint put it in 1632 (through Rebecca Abrabanel) when King Gustavus expresses doubt that religious freedom can work:

"Which lasts longer, the mountain or the sea?"

Conformity is one of the worst forms of tyranny.
---------------------
It takes two to make peace. It only takes one to make war.
Post by MAD-4A   » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:00 am

MAD-4A
Captain of the List

Another point is here;
Hans wrote:…Also is the biggest population of our world right now - and this will be much more obvious in the future - the Asians…
You don’t know this. We don’t know what happened in the “final war”. One of my favorite lines in the original Red Dawn was:
Jed Eckert: ...Well, who *is* on our side?
Col. Andy Tanner: Six hundred million screaming Chinamen.
Darryl Bates: Last I heard, there were a billion screaming Chinamen.
Col. Andy Tanner: There *were*.

Is there any info on “the final war”? Perhaps it started with India & China who nuked each other as well as Taiwan, Korea, Japan and Indochina for good measure. The only Asians to survive the final war were those in other countries.
Also regarding immigration renaming, not all renaming’s were because if inability to understand. A lot were on purpose so they could fit in. Chef Boyardee for instance (yes he’s real), when he came to America from Italy he changed the spelling of his name so it wouldn’t be mispronounced (it was spelled different in Italian but pronounced “boy-ar-dee”). If other people did that (both ways) it would resolve a lot of mispronunciations, spell it in the language you’re going to use or accept the change in pronunciation.
-
Almost only counts in Horseshoes and Nuclear Weapons. I almost got the Hand-Grenade out the window does not count.
Post by Hans   » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:11 am

Hans
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Brigade XO wrote:There certainly seem to be a lot of people (in the US and elsewhere) who seem determined to put The State back under the direct direction of THEIR Church no matter what other rhetoric they may be spouting. That includes their own interpretations of what the Religion (or variant there of) they insist they belong to.

Oh Yes, religion and nationalism :roll:
And I don' count patriotism on the positive side.
I do know, that patriotism is very high in the USA, right now. Sorry but its frightening me.
Post by Hutch   » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:18 am

Hutch
Vice Admiral

MAD-4A wrote:Another point is here;
Hans wrote:…Also is the biggest population of our world right now - and this will be much more obvious in the future - the Asians…
You don’t know this. We don’t know what happened in the “final war”. One of my favorite lines in the original Red Dawn was:
Jed Eckert: ...Well, who *is* on our side?
Col. Andy Tanner: Six hundred million screaming Chinamen.
Darryl Bates: Last I heard, there were a billion screaming Chinamen.
Col. Andy Tanner: There *were*.

Is there any info on “the final war”? Perhaps it started with India & China who nuked each other as well as Taiwan, Korea, Japan and Indochina for good measure. The only Asians to survive the final war were those in other countries.

All I can say here is: (1) Cauldron of Ghosts and (2) tum-de-dum-de-tum..... ;)
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5

Return to Honorverse