Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Theemile and 136 guests

SPOILER - How is the GA going to discover Darius or Felix?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
SPOILER - How is the GA going to discover Darius or Felix?
Post by JohnRoth   » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:42 pm

JohnRoth
Admiral

I thought we'd pretty much exhausted this question, but then in Chapter 46 of CoG we see Zachariah McBryde and Gail Weiss on a ship that's just escaped from the Torch raid on Balcescu Station. Without their Gaul keeper.

Balcescu Station is close enough to Parmley Station that the Torch raid was feasible. Wouldn't it be interesting if Prince Sunjata was headed for Parmley Station?
Re: SPOILER - How is the GA going to discover Darius or Feli
Post by Whitecold   » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:09 pm

Whitecold
Commander

I doubt either of them do have the coordinates of their destination, there is no need for them to have it, and the simple confirmation of the existence of some bolthole for the Alignment is not truly groundbreaking information for the GA.
Post by kzt   » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:10 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Same way the RMN found bolthole. :P
Post by JohnRoth   » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:47 pm

JohnRoth
Admiral

Whitecold wrote:I doubt either of them do have the coordinates of their destination, there is no need for them to have it, and the simple confirmation of the existence of some bolthole for the Alignment is not truly groundbreaking information for the GA.

That wasn't what I was getting at. All the way back in Chapter 5 of ToF, Zack is portrayed as one of Director Chernevsky's lieutenants with a talent for synthesis of apparently unrelated information. He's got something to do with military hardware development, and he knows what's up with the Torch wormhole. If he can point a finger at The Twins, even if he doesn't know about Felix, it's one step closer. If he does know about Felix that will pretty much blow things open because it establishes the link with Mannerheim.

In other words, he knows a lot that the GA would dearly love to know. And he's loose without a keeper.
Post by Randomiser   » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:40 pm

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

JohnRoth wrote:I thought we'd pretty much exhausted this question, but then in Chapter 46 of CoG we see Zachariah McBryde and Gail Weiss on a ship that's just escaped from the Torch raid on Balcescu Station. Without their Gaul keeper.

Balcescu Station is close enough to Parmley Station that the Torch raid was feasible. Wouldn't it be interesting if Prince Sunjata was headed for Parmley Station?

Yes I missed that possibility. I thought the 'delicious opportunity ' you mentioned over on Eric Flint's homepage was referring to the opportunity the Torch raid in Cauldron might have had to capture Zack.

Whitecold, if they stop at Parmley either the crew of the ship they are currently on will know the next destination or the crew of a ship calling for them will do so. Either way it would get the GA a couple of steps further along the trail.

However John's further post is even more interesting.

I was really quite disappointed that CoG stopped where it did and we didn't see anything of the GA taking over Mesa. I think the first half of the book could have been considerably compressed.
Post by 2006davidhh   » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:23 pm

2006davidhh
Ensign

I assume the story wouldn't have been included unless RFC intends to use it later. But adding two unexplained ships at the slaver base to the Traffic Control records of unusual departures presumably captured at Mesa (with a certain computer expert on the scene) might well point a directional arrow worth Torch at least following up.

And Zack has a conscience just as much as his brother. Who knows what might trigger it?

I feel that his stopping at Parmley is too easy to be expected though.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:50 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

2006davidhh wrote:I assume the story wouldn't have been included unless RFC intends to use it later. But adding two unexplained ships at the slaver base to the Traffic Control records of unusual departures presumably captured at Mesa (with a certain computer expert on the scene) might well point a directional arrow worth Torch at least following up.

And Zack has a conscience just as much as his brother. Who knows what might trigger it?

I feel that his stopping at Parmley is too easy to be expected though.

Yeah I was leaning more towards some addition ship taking Onion evacuees going through the slaver base that the frigates and Beowulf Biological Survey Corps seized.

That gives them a better chance to safely separate the Evacuees from their handlers.
Mesa System Has Another Secret Warp Junction?
Post by HB of CJ   » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:00 pm

HB of CJ
Captain of the List

Mesa may have another secret Junction? And is that why the Mesa system was so $expensive$ to $buy$ to begin with...and only a handful of the MAlignment inner Onion layer actually know about it? And could Darius be at the other end of this secret Junction? Which is why the MAlignment put it there to begin with? Humm. Just me. HB of CJ (old coot)
Last edited by HB of CJ on Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post by kzt   » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:07 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Randomiser wrote:I was really quite disappointed that CoG stopped where it did and we didn't see anything of the GA taking over Mesa. I think the first half of the book could have been considerably compressed.

What, and miss them spending 100 pages recruiting Steph to go to Mesa because 'reasons'?
Re: Mesa System Has A Secret Warp Junction?
Post by JohnRoth   » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:34 pm

JohnRoth
Admiral

HB of CJ wrote:Mesa may have a secret Junction? And is that why the Mesa system was so $expensive$ to buy to begin with...and only a handful of the MAlignment inner Onion layer actually know about it? And could Darius be at the other end of this secret Junction? Which is why the MAlignment put it there to begin with? Humm. Just me. HB of CJ (old coot)

No. RFC has been quite definite that no system has more than one junction or wormhole terminus, except The Twins, which are an anomaly that I suspect got added to support Eric's story at Torch. Also, there are no hyper bridges between junctions.

The terminus at Mesa goes to Visigoth.

The hidden junction is at Felix. One hyper bridge goes to Darius, a second one goes to The Twins. Two others go to somewhere that only RFC and people he has under NDAs know about.

Return to Honorverse