Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 28 guests

Honorverse Jeopardy

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Honorverse Jeopardy
Post by cthia   » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:18 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

..........................................This is......................................

... ... ... H O N O R V E R S E ... ... ...

... ... J E O P A R D Y ... ...

Correct answer for:
(100, 200, 300, 400, 500, 600, 800, 1000) thanks,
according to difficulty. Please list difficulty.

Remember, even a correct answer is incorrect unless phrased in a question. Alex Trebek is watching you.

Take correct answer for 1000-thanks...

In this book was mentioned about the first treecat in captivity dying.

If you post and yet you don't know the answer either, well, then that is double-jeopardy.

Trivia
Why must Jeopardy answers be in the form of a question?
The easy answer is "the rules say so"... but to be correct, you have to go back to the origin of the show. Merv Griffin was talking to his wife about trying to create a new game show in the wake of the scandals of the late '50s and early '60s. At the core of the scandals was the fact that contestants were given the answers to the questions in advance. Merv's wife suggested a game where the answers were given -- when Griffin said he didn't really want to go to jail, his wife gave him an example. She said "5280", to which he said "How many feet are in a mile?". Within days, development had begun on "What's The Question", later renamed "Jeopardy!"

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/inde ... 5120903859

Last edited by cthia on Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:51 am, edited 8 times in total.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Re: Honorverse Jeopardy
Post by pokermind   » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:18 pm

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

For 100 points Honor Harrington's treecat name.

do

do

do

de do de

do

do

do

do

do

do

do

do

Do De de do

doot doot

What is Dances on Clouds?
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:22 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Take correct answer for 1000-thanks...

Which is At All Costs?
Post by cthia   » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:33 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:

Which is At All Costs?

I have to admit, I don't know, I was trying to have a little fun and get an answer too. Beats me.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:02 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:

Which is At All Costs?

Since I don't know the answer either, I guess this is double-jeopardy. :D

Post by cthia   » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:30 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

correct answer for a 1000...

Look at this passage
He accessed the relevant portion of her record, and something suspiciously like a snort escaped before he could throttle it. He turned it into a reasonably convincing coughing fit, but his mouth quivered as he scanned the appended note. Buzzed the Commandant's boat during the Regatta, had she? No wonder Hartley had lowered the boom on her!

In this modern day very popular film, something very similar happened.

Post by strapakai   » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:35 pm

strapakai
Ensign

cthia wrote:correct answer for a 1000...

Look at this passage
He accessed the relevant portion of her record, and something suspiciously like a snort escaped before he could throttle it. He turned it into a reasonably convincing coughing fit, but his mouth quivered as he scanned the appended note. Buzzed the Commandant's boat during the Regatta, had she? No wonder Hartley had lowered the boom on her!

In this modern day very popular film, something very similar happened.

What is Top Gun?
Post by Jonathan_S   » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:51 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
Jonathan_S wrote:In this book was mentioned about the first treecat in captivity dying.
Which is At All Costs?

I have to admit, I don't know, I was trying to have a little fun and get an answer too. Beats me.[/quote]
At All Costs wrote:Sphinx's treecats had been a sore point with Manpower and Mesa literally for centuries. The possibility of unlocking the secret of telepathy had been impossible for the bioengineers of Mesa to resist, but they'd been remarkably unsuccessful in obtaining specimens. In fact, they'd managed to obtain only one living treecat in over three hundred T-years, and they'd discovered quickly that a treecat in captivity simply died.
I'm 90% sure this was the first published mention, although there's an outside chance it got mentioned in some anthology that I've forgotten about and couldn't quickly check.
Post by cthia   » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:01 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Look at this passage

In this modern day very popular film, something very similar happened.[/quote]
Strapakai wrote:
What is Top Gun?

Correct, for 1000.

Post by Amaroq   » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:59 am

Amaroq
Captain of the List

Jonathan_S wrote:
At All Costs wrote:Sphinx's treecats had been a sore point with Manpower and Mesa literally for centuries. The possibility of unlocking the secret of telepathy had been impossible for the bioengineers of Mesa to resist, but they'd been remarkably unsuccessful in obtaining specimens. In fact, they'd managed to obtain only one living treecat in over three hundred T-years, and they'd discovered quickly that a treecat in captivity simply died.
I'm 90% sure this was the first published mention, although there's an outside chance it got mentioned in some anthology that I've forgotten about and couldn't quickly check.

This looks correct. The only other mention of treecats in captivity was the novelization of A Beautiful Friendship and none of those died.
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.

Return to Honorverse