Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 59 guests

Mainline vs 'Side Stories'

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Mainline vs 'Side Stories'
Post by kzt   » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:18 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Michael Riddell wrote:As far as is known, the novella in House of Lies is rumoured to be about the origins of the Duquesne Plan. Whether this will give us a clue as to exactly how Mesa subverted Haven is up to RFC. ;)

I think he'll save the big reveal for House of Cards. ;)
Post by Amaroq   » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:51 am

Amaroq
Captain of the List

Hutch wrote:

"O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!" :D :D :D

Happy Easter, RFC

Is this only a reference to the Lewis Carroll poem or does it include the musings of the Havenite courier boat captain that stops at Cerberus before being sent on its merry way?
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.
Post by Amaroq   » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:55 am

Amaroq
Captain of the List

kzt wrote:
Michael Riddell wrote:As far as is known, the novella in House of Lies is rumoured to be about the origins of the Duquesne Plan. Whether this will give us a clue as to exactly how Mesa subverted Haven is up to RFC. ;)

I think he'll save the big reveal for House of Cards. ;)

Do you mean House of Shadows?
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.
Post by Hutch   » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:46 am

Hutch
Vice Admiral

Amaroq wrote:
Hutch wrote:

"O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!" :D :D :D

Happy Easter, RFC

Is this only a reference to the Lewis Carroll poem or does it include the musings of the Havenite courier boat captain that stops at Cerberus before being sent on its merry way?

You were ahead of me in the Honorverse referece--I had to look up the poem on-line to confirm the exact wording...
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by Amaroq   » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:30 pm

Amaroq
Captain of the List

Amaroq wrote:
Hutch wrote:

You were ahead of me in the Honorverse referece--I had to look up the poem on-line to confirm the exact wording...

Making certain of the spelling on a poem with made-up words. That's dedication.
Post by kzt   » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:24 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Amaroq wrote:
kzt wrote:I think he'll save the big reveal for House of Cards. ;)

If you want to use the boring title...
Post by Tenshinai   » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:22 pm

Tenshinai
Admiral

Amaroq wrote:

kzt wrote:If you want to use the boring title...

And for those who haven´t seen them, i suggest you watch the tv-series "House of cards", sequel "To play the king" and "The Final Cut".

(ugh, just found that there´s now a US copycat version of this, my recommendation is purely for the British original)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_C ... _series%29

Anyway, the politics of it feels very suitable for some parts of the Honorverse...
Post by Bill Woods   » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:46 pm

Bill Woods
Captain of the List

Amaroq wrote:Do you mean House of Shadows?
kzt wrote:If you want to use the boring title...
Tenshinai wrote:And for those who haven´t seen them, i suggest you watch the tv-series "House of cards", sequel "To play the king" and "The Final Cut".

(ugh, just found that there´s now a US copycat version of this, my recommendation is purely for the British original)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_C ... _series%29

Anyway, the politics of it feels very suitable for some parts of the Honorverse...
Just found out? The highly-acclaimed US version's had two seasons already, starring Kevin Spacey as Frank Underwood -- the "F.U." character. I think I prefer the original myself, but the Netflix version is its own thing, not a straight copy.
----
Imagined conversation:
Admiral [noting yet another Manty tech surprise]:
XO, what's the budget for the ONI?
Vice Admiral: I don't recall exactly, sir. Several billion quatloos.
Admiral: ... What do you suppose they did with all that money?
Post by Tenshinai   » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:33 am

Tenshinai
Admiral

Bill Woods wrote: Just found out? The highly-acclaimed US version's had two seasons already, starring Kevin Spacey as Frank Underwood -- the "F.U." character. I think I prefer the original myself, but the Netflix version is its own thing, not a straight copy.

Yup, just found out when i got the wiki link. Noone´s airing it here so there´s no reason for me to notice it until i actually go look it up.

Yes Netflix is available here, but i have zero interest in subscription tv, i just don´t watch enough for it to make any sense.
And i don´t even know if their region lock means the series would be available here.

And no, it´s not a 1:1 copy, but let´s be simple and say that my experience with US remakes is really bad.
Red dwarf US version is terrible, and The Ring is totally lame compared to the Japanese original.
And so on.
Post by drothgery   » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:52 am

drothgery
Admiral

Bill Woods wrote:Anyway, the politics of it feels very suitable for some parts of the Honorverse...
Just found out? The highly-acclaimed US version's had two seasons already, starring Kevin Spacey as Frank Underwood -- the "F.U." character. I think I prefer the original myself, but the Netflix version is its own thing, not a straight copy.[/quote]Haven't seen the British version, but there are definitely occasional 'American politics does not work that way' moments in the American one, sometimes in ways that seem likely they were cribbing too closely from source material in a Parliamentary system.

Return to Honorverse