Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Theemile and 58 guests

Detweiler Vision vs Beowulf Code: "Right" and "Wrong"

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Detweiler Vision vs Beowulf Code: "Right" and "Wrong"
Post by BobG   » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:43 pm

BobG
Captain (Junior Grade)

cthia wrote:Another excellent stance. IMHO. I see prolong as the one muddy area. The fulcrum. The pivot point. The crux. And prolong very well may represent Beowulf's first cautious step since their original posture.

Ok, here's a morality question: suppose that the Mesan work on genetics from their slave lines exposed a fix for the inability of the Meyerdahl mod to regenerate. Does Allison treat Honor with it?

-- Bob G
Last edited by BobG on Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SF & Fantasy: The only things better than Chocolate.
Post by Amaroq   » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:52 pm

Amaroq
Captain of the List

cthia wrote:
Another excellent stance. IMHO. I see prolong as the one muddy area. The fulcrum. The pivot point. The crux. And prolong very well may represent Beowulf's first cautious step since their original posture.

The regeneration therapies (which I imagine tap into unused or inactivated parts of the human genome) might be another of those steps.
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.
Post by HungryKing   » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:21 pm

HungryKing
Captain (Junior Grade)

People, prolong does not violate the Beowolf Code, it is not a gene mod, it is a, mostly, single generation, epigenetic change, prolong literally convinces the body not to age. This part of the reason the mesan life extention mods stack with prolong. As for fixing nonresponsiveness to regen, it is not going beyond the natural limits, and in a universe where only a minority of people do not respond, it is pretty much the definition of a disease state.
Post by cthia   » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:38 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

HungryKing wrote:People, prolong does not violate the Beowolf Code, it is not a gene mod, it is a, mostly, single generation, epigenetic change, prolong literally convinces the body not to age. This part of the reason the mesan life extention mods stack with prolong. As for fixing nonresponsiveness to regen, it is not going beyond the natural limits, and in a universe where only a minority of people do not respond, it is pretty much the definition of a disease state.

I wasn't sure whether or not prolong violated Beowulf's own code with respect to the particular gene sequence. However it is still in question whether their overall stance has been impuned. An expert Mesan legal lawyer (in the league of SWM) could eat Beowulf alive on this issue. At the very least the judge will rule on Mesa's right to a hearing on the merits of their case.
The Beowulf Life Sciences Code, which limited genetic engineering to the purpose of curing and counteracting existing conditions and discouraged the intentional "improvement" of the species...

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:51 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

robertamgottlieb wrote:
cthia wrote:Another excellent stance. IMHO. I see prolong as the one muddy area. The fulcrum. The pivot point. The crux. And prolong very well may represent Beowulf's first cautious step since their original posture.

Ok, here's a morality question: suppose that the Mesan work on genetics from their slave lines exposed a fix for the inability of the Heyerdahl mod to regenerate. Does Allison treat Honor with it?

-- Bob G

I am not quite so sure that this is a question of morality. Or at least if it were, that ship has sailed.

My personal slant on regeneration. If I were a high-powered high falutin lawyer like, SWM, I would argue that regen does not, in any way compromise Beowulf's stance. Regen does not replace anything in or on the body that isn't already there. In fact, regen is nothing more than a highly skilled surgeon in a bottle, with bandaids.

If I lose a finger today, as long as I put that finger on ice and get it to a proper surgeon, it can be reattached. Giving me no more than I had before said accident. Regen, arguably, is just a high-tech scalpel and sutures. IMHO.

However, if that cure for the Meyerdahl mod exists outside the approved gene sequence, then that presents a problem. If you make a stance then you must be aware that if you step outside of your own parameters then you establish a precedent, eliminating your argument against, thereby opening the door. In that case Beowulf would have transformed their nonarbitrary limit to an arbitrary one, thus killing all that they stood for, by providing an exploitable legal and logical loophole.

It's akin to the SLN saying 'do as I say, not as I do.'

Last edited by cthia on Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by namelessfly   » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:34 pm

namelessfly

robertamgottlieb wrote:

Ok, here's a morality question: suppose that the Mesan work on genetics from their slave lines exposed a fix for the inability of the Heyerdahl mod to regenerate. Does Allison treat Honor with it?

-- Bob G

Excellent point
Post by Dca   » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:37 pm

Dca
Lieutenant Commander

robertamgottlieb wrote:

-- Bob G

I thought it was Meyerdahl, but ... Do we have textev of Alfred regenerating or not? I don't recall the failure to take regen being intrinsic to that mod, but it could just be me.
Post by BobG   » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:59 pm

BobG
Captain (Junior Grade)

Dca wrote:I thought it was Meyerdahl, but ... Do we have textev of Alfred regenerating or not? I don't recall the failure to take regen being intrinsic to that mod, but it could just be me.

Heyerdahl vs Meyerbdahl - I blame the iPhone auto-spell correct. Sorry.

-- Bob G
Post by cthia   » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:07 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

robertamgottlieb wrote:
Dca wrote:I thought it was Meyerdahl, but ... Do we have textev of Alfred regenerating or not? I don't recall the failure to take regen being intrinsic to that mod, but it could just be me.

Heyerdahl vs Meyerbdahl - I blame the iPhone auto-spell correct. Sorry.

-- Bob G

For me it was just a matter of blind leading the blind. I actually thought there was a gene sequence I wasn't aware of.

Post by BobG   » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:15 pm

BobG
Captain (Junior Grade)

cthia wrote:I am not quite so sure that this is a question of morality. Or at least if it were, that ship has sailed.

My personal slant on regeneration. If I were a high-powered high falutin lawyer like, SWM, I would argue that regen does not, in any way compromise Beowulf's stance. Regen does not replace anything in or on the body that isn't already there. In fact, regen is nothing more than a highly skilled surgeon in a bottle, with bandaids.

If I lose a finger today, as long as I put that finger on ice and get it to a proper surgeon, it can be reattached. Giving me no more than I had before said accident. Regen, arguably, is just a high-tech scalpel and sutures. IMHO.

However, if that cure for the Heyerdahl mod exists outside the approved gene sequence, then that presents a problem. If you make a stance then you must be aware that if you step outside of your own parameters then you establish a precedent, eliminating your argument against, thereby opening the door. In that case Beowulf would have transformed their nonarbitrary limit to an arbitrary one, thus killing all that they stood for, by providing an exploitable legal and logical loophole.

It's akin to the SLN saying 'do as I say, not as I do.'

I think you miss my point. I wasn't talking about whether genetic mods for prolog are acceptable under the Beowulf code, but rather it is moral or not to use knowledge acquired through such an evil basis.

There was, IIRC, some valuable medical research on hypothermia acquired from experiments (i.e., scientific torture) on prisoners at Auschwitz. That was the first time I encountered this issue: what do you do with useful medical knowledge acquired from an atrocity? And I certainly consider the entire enterprise of genetic slavery as a way to acquire detailed knowledge of human genetics an atrocity.

-- Bob G

Return to Honorverse