Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 91 guests

Detweiler Vision vs Beowulf Code: "Right" and "Wrong"

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Detweiler Vision vs Beowulf Code: "Right" and "Wrong"
Post by cthia   » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:22 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

aairfccha wrote:First, what's this goal and second, my "can do without" probably still applies.

The Beowulf Life Sciences Code, which limited genetic engineering to the purpose of curing and counteracting existing conditions and discouraged the intentional "improvement" of the species...

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by aairfccha   » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:36 pm

aairfccha
Commander

cthia wrote:
aairfccha wrote:First, what's this goal and second, my "can do without" probably still applies.

The Beowulf Life Sciences Code, which limited genetic engineering to the purpose of curing and counteracting existing conditions and discouraged the intentional "improvement" of the species...

That's more a limitation than a goal except fairly implicit. Also, what's for example your response to my vitamin C trap I posted earlier?
Post by SWM   » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:51 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:No. That is not what I meant. Regarding Beowulf's own stance to not exceed a certain nonarbitrary point, yet still achieve their goal, is it necessary for the development and implementation of prolong to achieve this goal? Prolong has nothing to do with the quality of life rather the quantity of life. Recognizing of course that it could be argued that quantity, applied to life, is its own quality.

I'm simply positing that the development of prolong may step outside of Beowulf's own code. Not cthia's own code.

To be Beowulf's advocate: Slow death by old age is an existing condition, therefore life-extension falls within the Beowulf Life Sciences Code. :D

To be Detweiler's advocate: stupidity is an existing condition and therefore intelligence-extension should fall within the Code. :mrgreen:
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by Hutch   » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:59 pm

Hutch
Vice Admiral

packhunter wrote: The Alignment are elitest. Only the best Genetic lines are in power. To move into the upper tiers of power are impossible unless your Genes are designed as such. However your children can be modified and advanced so generationally there could be improvements. Conversley if your Genetic stock is not of an Alpha line you are lesser. Which ultemately gets back to the slavery problem, the lowest of the low. Which means that the fundamental mindst of the Alignment is such that there will always be a class system, and that the lowest class will always be nothing more than slaves.

So what happens if the Alignment wins and eventually all populations are genetically modified up to Alpha line levels of capability. Well there will still be a class system it will just be even more distorted than before, perhaps based on far more exclusive Genetic capabilities, like perhaps Telepathy.

I highlighted your comments because it brought to mind another problem; once the MAlign goal is reached, and all Humanity is uplifted to some lofty status...who picks up the garbage?

I am reminded of the Issac Asimov story "Strikebreaker" as a possible future for a MAlignment--unless they keep the 'helots' available--which they can only do by denying them the uplift that they are 'imposing' on Humanity.

A bit of a conundrum, IMHO. YMMV.
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by packhunter   » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:23 pm

packhunter
Lieutenant Commander

I actually see prolong and how it has been accepted and implemented the first concrete sign that the Bewolfians are begining to evolve their code. Slowly perhaps, but evolution none the less. I think there has been enough time between the final war and the horrors created there that human society is willing to be more open minded about genie's.

However if the Malgn has some new nasty super soldiers they intend to use for shinanigans this veiw is likely to shift back. I'm thinking about the Gauls in Cualdron. They seemed not normal, and maybe a little crazy.
Post by JohnRoth   » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:28 pm

JohnRoth
Admiral

Hutch wrote:
packhunter wrote: The Alignment are elitest. Only the best Genetic lines are in power. To move into the upper tiers of power are impossible unless your Genes are designed as such. However your children can be modified and advanced so generationally there could be improvements. Conversley if your Genetic stock is not of an Alpha line you are lesser. Which ultemately gets back to the slavery problem, the lowest of the low. Which means that the fundamental mindst of the Alignment is such that there will always be a class system, and that the lowest class will always be nothing more than slaves.

So what happens if the Alignment wins and eventually all populations are genetically modified up to Alpha line levels of capability. Well there will still be a class system it will just be even more distorted than before, perhaps based on far more exclusive Genetic capabilities, like perhaps Telepathy.

I highlighted your comments because it brought to mind another problem; once the MAlign goal is reached, and all Humanity is uplifted to some lofty status...who picks up the garbage?

I am reminded of the Issac Asimov story "Strikebreaker" as a possible future for a MAlignment--unless they keep the 'helots' available--which they can only do by denying them the uplift that they are 'imposing' on Humanity.

A bit of a conundrum, IMHO. YMMV.

I think you're missing the MAlign's goal. The people who pick up the garbage are specially bred so that they're happy and well suited to picking up garbage. That's their idea of a "uplifted" garbageman. The fully uplifted garbageman is an example of a "specialty line."

We've seen two "specialty lines" already. Albrecht's bodyguard is one. The other has appeared, but isn't tagged as one until CoG, so I'm not going to name him. It's possible that the mole who suicided on Torch was a third.
Post by Reader Bob   » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:53 pm

Reader Bob
Lieutenant Commander

The Malign is messing with some basics that I suspect they haven't considered. As has been pointed out often the general public is suspicious of genies. Of course they are! Genies are different. It was a basic survival mechanism in our distant past to be wary of those who are different. They are probably up to no good after all. They will try and take our prey and our caves.

So racism isn't an aberration like all of us would like to think. It is something that kept our distant ancestors alive and therefore it was a beneficial gene. Also, we aren't that different, in social terms, than wolves. The wolf pack will drive off any invader in their territory. Survival of the pack integrity there.

So the Malign is screwing around making different types of people. Their secret cannot last forever. In fact, part of it has already been compromised due to the actions of the dynamic duo on Mesa. As soon as the general population finally sinks its teeth into what has been done the blood hunt will begin. Probably even genies like Honor and the Empress will need to tred carefully. :(
Post by Amaroq   » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:28 pm

Amaroq
Captain of the List

JohnRoth wrote:
I think you're missing the MAlign's goal. The people who pick up the garbage are specially bred so that they're happy and well suited to picking up garbage. That's their idea of a "uplifted" garbageman. The fully uplifted garbageman is an example of a "specialty line."

We've seen two "specialty lines" already. Albrecht's bodyguard is one. The other has appeared, but isn't tagged as one until CoG, so I'm not going to name him. It's possible that the mole who suicided on Torch was a third.

This is similar to what I mentioned before. In the Alignment's idea of the future, people will be gene-engineered for their specific profession and way of life and will therefore always be "happy" to do that and only that without any chance to choose to do anything else. It takes away freedom of choice however in the MAlign's view these people will be ignorant of that and never know that they could've had a choice and the fact of their ignorance makes it all ok. Blargh.
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.
Post by cthia   » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:29 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

SWM wrote:
cthia wrote:No. That is not what I meant. Regarding Beowulf's own stance to not exceed a certain nonarbitrary point, yet still achieve their goal, is it necessary for the development and implementation of prolong to achieve this goal? Prolong has nothing to do with the quality of life rather the quantity of life. Recognizing of course that it could be argued that quantity, applied to life, is its own quality.

I'm simply positing that the development of prolong may step outside of Beowulf's own code. Not cthia's own code.

To be Beowulf's advocate: Slow death by old age is an existing condition, therefore life-extension falls within the Beowulf Life Sciences Code. :D

To be Detweiler's advocate: stupidity is an existing condition and therefore intelligence-extension should fall within the Code. :mrgreen:

SWM. Excellent! Simply excellent!!
You have successfully advocated for Beowulf.
Quite intelligent exchange. I am honored.

As far as your advocation for Detweiler? :lol: :lol: :lol:
You have won your case, but everyone in the courtroom, Judge included, are not amused by your highfalutin seasoned aggressive cutthroat legal tactics. And as soon as you get out of town the better. We will not be responsible for this mob! :x

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:43 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

packhunter wrote:I actually see prolong and how it has been accepted and implemented the first concrete sign that the Bewolfians are begining to evolve their code. Slowly perhaps, but evolution none the less. I think there has been enough time between the final war and the horrors created there that human society is willing to be more open minded about genie's.

However if the Malgn has some new nasty super soldiers they intend to use for shinanigans this veiw is likely to shift back. I'm thinking about the Gauls in Cualdron. They seemed not normal, and maybe a little crazy.

Another excellent stance. IMHO. I see prolong as the one muddy area. The fulcrum. The pivot point. The crux. And prolong very well may represent Beowulf's first cautious step since their original posture.

Return to Honorverse