Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 39 guests

Absent Steadholder

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Absent Steadholder
Post by George J. Smith   » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:55 pm

George J. Smith
Commodore

How long has it been since Honor was on Grayson?

It seems as though she has decided to stay at White Haven when she is not aboard ship, how are the rest of the Keys taking this absence, plus when are the people of the Harrington Steading going to see the Heir?

T&R
GJS
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Re: Absent Steadholder
Post by Dafmeister   » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:53 pm

Dafmeister
Commodore

She was on Grayson shortly before she was deployed to Sidemore Station to deal with the Andermani crisis. Since then, she's been on active war service, which is specifically recognised as a legitimate reason for absence.
Post by NortonIDaughter   » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:00 am

NortonIDaughter
Captain (Junior Grade)

I'm most interested in when Raoul's going to make his way to Grayson-- he is the next Steadholder, he needs to grow up at least half there, IMO. I can't imagine Emily travels that well, and Hamish is a bit busy, but surely Lindsay and his arms men could take him?

I know he's a little young now, but soon enough it'll be a concern. Especially since he may inherit sooner than anyone would like-- Honor's already "died" once.

Technically he's the next Duke Harrington as well-- and the next Earl White Haven, though possibly they may have him passed over in favor of Katherine, to keep the lines distinct?
Post by munroburton   » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:02 am

munroburton
Admiral

NortonIDaughter wrote:I'm most interested in when Raoul's going to make his way to Grayson-- he is the next Steadholder, he needs to grow up at least half there, IMO. I can't imagine Emily travels that well, and Hamish is a bit busy, but surely Lindsay and his arms men could take him?

I know he's a little young now, but soon enough it'll be a concern. Especially since he may inherit sooner than anyone would like-- Honor's already "died" once.

Technically he's the next Duke Harrington as well-- and the next Earl White Haven, though possibly they may have him passed over in favor of Katherine, to keep the lines distinct?

What, pack off a child just because he's a heir to something or other? He isn't even two years old yet, won't reach legal maturity for another 16-19 years and Honor might survive the series after all, living another two centuries.

The Graysons already had their chance with Faith and James. They spent more time on Grayson than on any of Manticore's planets.

Raoul is the heir to everything Honor and Hamish has, as Manticore's aristocracy operates on absolute cognatic primogeniture. Grayson has also shifted to a similar system for its Keys(though previously strictly agnatic). Anything attached to those titles(e.g. Harrington duchy skiing resorts, a section of the Unicorn belt) goes to the heir.

All the kids should stand to inherit a chunk of Grayson Sky Domes, as that was set up with prize money. But Honor could stipulate otherwise in her will and give her personal wealth to the Treecat Pranks Society or something.
Post by phillies   » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:24 am

phillies
Admiral

The annoying young steadholder who that Honor was a whore. Has he been seen recently? Is it possible that this was his test, and in the end he managed to pass?
Post by saber964   » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:34 pm

saber964
Admiral

munroburton wrote:
NortonIDaughter wrote:I'm most interested in when Raoul's going to make his way to Grayson-- he is the next Steadholder, he needs to grow up at least half there, IMO. I can't imagine Emily travels that well, and Hamish is a bit busy, but surely Lindsay and his arms men could take him?

What, pack off a child just because he's a heir to something or other? He isn't even two years old yet, won't reach legal maturity for another 16-19 years and Honor might survive the series after all, living another two centuries.

The Graysons already had their chance with Faith and James. They spent more time on Grayson than on any of Manticore's planets.

Raoul is the heir to everything Honor and Hamish has, as Manticore's aristocracy operates on absolute cognatic primogeniture. Grayson has also shifted to a similar system for its Keys(though previously strictly agnatic). Anything attached to those titles(e.g. Harrington duchy skiing resorts, a section of the Unicorn belt) goes to the heir.

All the kids should stand to inherit a chunk of Grayson Sky Domes, as that was set up with prize money. But Honor could stipulate otherwise in her will and give her personal wealth to the Treecat Pranks Society or something.

Honor does not own a chunk of the Unicorn Belt, her cousin Sarah does it was ennobled to the Earldom of Harrington.

As it stands now Raoul will inherit the Duchy and Steadholdership of Harrington and the Earldom of White Haven, and he could also be the heir of Sarah Harrington Countess of Harrington.

How rich is Honor Alexander-Harrington? In a word Very rich. IIRC she owns a 50% stake in Skydomes Ltd., Her own Duchy and Steading and probably a massive chunk of Blackbird SY which was a joint effort of the Grayson Government, Skydomes and the Hauptman Cartel with the Hauptman share being bought out by the Grayson's.
Post by kzt   » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:37 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Blackbird isn't making a lot of money these days, nor is it currently worth a whole lot.
Post by Northstar   » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:37 pm

Northstar
Rear Admiral

phillies wrote:The annoying young steadholder who said that Honor was a whore. Has he been seen recently? Is it possible that this was his test, and in the end he managed to pass?

That would be the one whose father was a traitor? Somehow I doubt he has learned anything or passed any test that involved intelligence, common sense, personal honor or even common decency. Gee... I guess I do not like him. Nope, have not seen him. Thank goodness. Though who knows what he is plotting or with whom. :twisted:

Muehler? Miller... memory....ach.
Post by MaxxQ   » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:41 pm

MaxxQ
BuNine

Northstar wrote:
phillies wrote:The annoying young steadholder who said that Honor was a whore. Has he been seen recently? Is it possible that this was his test, and in the end he managed to pass?

That would be the one whose father was a traitor? Somehow I doubt he has learned anything or passed any test that involved intelligence, common sense, personal honor or even common decency. Gee... I guess I do not like him. Nope, have not seen him. Thank goodness. Though who knows what he is plotting or with whom. :twisted:

Close. Mueller. :mrgreen:
Post by saber964   » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:56 pm

saber964
Admiral

MaxxQ wrote: quote="Northstar"]

Close. Mueller. :mrgreen:[/quote]

Actually he's right Mueller is German for Miller. Just like Schmidt is German for Smith.

Return to Honorverse