Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 44 guests

REDDIT interview

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
REDDIT interview
Post by runsforcelery   » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:49 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

Guys --- This evening, (that would be me, Scott Kroopf, Richard Browne, and Matt Hawkins) did an hour and a half REDDIT interview. I think it covered a lot of good stuff if you want to take a look at it at: http://redd.it/221wrp.

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Re: REDDIT interview
Post by roseandheather   » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:11 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

Well, I just devoured that in about ten seconds flat. Though I admit to skimming the bits regarding the games, as I am the worst gamer in the history of gaming. :lol:

I admit my jaw dropped when I saw RFC's statement that he's looking at only one or two more mainline novels... *wails* that's not enough time!! I need more time to wallow in the glory of the Grand Alliance! Tom and Honor sharing a flag deck! Elizabeth and Eloise running the Haven sector together! My babies working together to get the bad guys instead of having to fight each other!!

My never-to-be-sufficiently-damned id aside, however, I am rubbing my hands in glee at the prospect of the final showdown, because the awesome is going to be out of this world. (Er, in both the literal and figurative sense.) And of course, he also said that there'd be more Talbott Quadrant books - I don't think anyone here needs to guess how I reacted to that, given the fact that fifty percent of my favorite characters appear in those books :mrgreen: - as well as Zilwicki/Cachat books, so it doesn't look like I'm going to run out of road any time soon. :D

(tl;dr The more Eloise Pritchart and Thomas Theisman the better, also TALBOTT QUADRANT YAY!!)
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by NortonIDaughter   » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:41 am

NortonIDaughter
Captain (Junior Grade)

Yeah, that question about changing views was spot-on for me-- the first few reads I was all for the SKM. Then all of a sudden a switch flipped in my brain, and I became the biggest Havenite fangirl since... well, since you, Rose. :lol:

It was a great read, RFC, thanks for posting! I love getting all these behind-the-scenes glimpses of things.
Post by packhunter   » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:20 am

packhunter
Lieutenant Commander

Only two more books at most where Honor is the Main Character......

That actually makes sense.

Particularly if the SL/MAlgn/Grand Alliance conflict is going to devolve into more small scale scrimishis as opposed to multi thousand ship fleet Battles.

Which also seems to indicate we'll get some more Death Rides. Likely with either Abigale or Helen as the main point of view. Which I'm totally OK with as I love both characters. And he does specifically say that there are more books planed with non Honor main characters.

Which also doesn't preclude Honor playing imortant roles in other books. Fleet engagements are awesome to read, but the board room style planning confrence's which is the main part of an Admiral's job can get a bit dry.

Additionally RFC had indicated that the origional plan was for Honor's children to deal with the MAlgn. Which if I'm thinking about it might yet still happen. Particularly if the MAlgn has enough set backs that their whole strategy falls apart, but Darius remains hidden. And they decide to go covert again.

And don't forget the Travis U. Long serries.

I suspect that RFC will be writting in the Honorverse up until he passes on. Which hopefully will be very far in the future. Or maybe even never if the Medical Establishment can figure out some sort of Prolong or Rejuvination techniques. I'd even be OK if we could just download his brain into a Computer.

Just Saying.
Post by Kufat   » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:30 pm

Kufat
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

packhunter wrote:Only two more books at most where Honor is the Main Character......

That actually makes sense.

Particularly if the SL/MAlgn/Grand Alliance conflict is going to devolve into more small scale scrimishis as opposed to multi thousand ship fleet Battles.

Agreed. Not only that, but I think that Honor could use some time off flag deck. Look at how distressed she was after realizing that the MA set up Second Manticore, especially with that coming on the heels of all of her losses during the Yawata Strike. One of the main themes of DW's books is the costs of war; Honor's victory that day seems to have cost her quite a bit.

(Also, it's the RMN's practice to rotate senior officers' assignments. I wonder if we might see nth Lord of Admiralty/Space Lord Honor Harrington at some point.)
Post by NortonIDaughter   » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:21 pm

NortonIDaughter
Captain (Junior Grade)

No to mention, series with a planned end point always tend to be stronger (IMO) than ones where the creator just keeps trying to add more and more plot. I'm always relieved when I know the creator has a plan, even if it's not for infinite books.
Post by roseandheather   » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:25 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

NortonIDaughter wrote:No to mention, series with a planned end point always tend to be stronger (IMO) than ones where the creator just keeps trying to add more and more plot. I'm always relieved when I know the creator has a plan, even if it's not for infinite books.

Agreed. Besides, RFC originally thought that he'd get the whole series done in eight books or thereabouts.... :lol: there might be a couple more books than he thinks there will. But he knows where the story is going, which is really important. Just dragging it out without having a specific endpoint in mind never ends well.

And I'm not exactly going to argue with more books focusing on Aivars, Abigail, Michelle, Helen, Michael, etc., given that I love all of them to tiny pieces. :mrgreen: I really do like Honor, lots and lots, but she hasn't been my favorite character in the series since about Honor of the Queen. (For which she can thank Tom Theisman. :P )
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by kenl511   » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:11 pm

kenl511
Captain (Junior Grade)

roseandheather wrote:
I admit my jaw dropped when I saw RFC's statement that he's looking at only one or two more mainline novels... *wails* that's not enough time!! I need more time to wallow in the glory of the Grand Alliance! Tom and Honor sharing a flag deck! Elizabeth and Eloise running the Haven sector together! My babies working together to get the bad guys instead of having to fight each other!!

My never-to-be-sufficiently-damned id aside, however, I am rubbing my hands in glee at the prospect of the final showdown, because the awesome is going to be out of this world. (Er, in both the literal and figurative sense.) And of course, he also said that there'd be more Talbott Quadrant books - I don't think anyone here needs to guess how I reacted to that, given the fact that fifty percent of my favorite characters appear in those books :mrgreen: - as well as Zilwicki/Cachat books, so it doesn't look like I'm going to run out of road any time soon. :D

(tl;dr The more Eloise Pritchart and Thomas Theisman the better, also TALBOTT QUADRANT YAY!!)

I seem to recall that RFC planned on this series being eight books. I think of this as I read ART (#13) and hope.
Post by NortonIDaughter   » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:42 am

NortonIDaughter
Captain (Junior Grade)

And an end to mainline novels says nothing about anthologies-- assuming Honor doesn't get killed off, there's plenty of opportunities for her to get into trouble in the future.

But yes: Thomas Theisman: Show Stealer.
Post by hvb   » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:44 pm

hvb
Captain (Junior Grade)

Heck, I wouldn't mind a book or two focusing (partially?) on the actions of the Imperial Andermani Navy in this brave new world after the beginning collapse of the League. Good old Chien-lu on a fishing expedition for those who would attack his Crown Prince; now with a task force of podnoughts and BC(p) out-riders with skippers from the same mold as Aivars.
"there's a man sailing 'round taking names."
Oh, what fun that could be. :D

And, oh yes, Theisman: proof, as if it ever was needed, that Honor was never an Author Sue.
(After all, those tend not to be upstaged in book two of a series, and then again at regular intervals, by some Hero of Another Story :mrgreen: ).

roseandheather wrote:[snip]
And I'm not exactly going to argue with more books focusing on Aivars, Abigail, Michelle, Helen, Michael, etc., given that I love all of them to tiny pieces. :mrgreen: I really do like Honor, lots and lots, but she hasn't been my favorite character in the series since about Honor of the Queen. (For which she can thank Tom Theisman. :P )

Return to Honorverse