Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 41 guests

Manticore Merchant Marine plus Junction Fees

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Manticore Merchant Marine plus Junction Fees
Post by Brigade XO   » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:30 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

With Lacoon I and II in force the Manticore Merchant Marine is effectivly all out of the SL. At the same time all of the SL flagged merchant shipping is no longer able to use the Junction.

So, what is happening as far as 1) the Merchant Marine trying to rebuild the various sources of shipping revenue and 2) Manticore replacing at least part of the revenue lost by closing the Junction.

I'm sure that Manticore could contract with some of those idle MMM ships to move things being produced at Beowulf for rebuilding the space stations, yards and orbital manufacturing. Haven could be a major source of revenue for the MMM companies if there is more volume of traffic to and from systems in the RH or newly rei-ndependnet systems. Haven may or may not have enough merchant shipping to meet the volume.

None of this replaces the volume of revenue from closing the Junction to the volume of traffic that was there. It is possible that Beowulf may get a boost as a transhipment point for SL originated cargos for destinations in and beyond the Manticore controlled area with moving the goods from SL to SEM flagged ships. That would provide some revenue.

The problems remain as to what is going to happen to the economic engine that was the MMM if the war with the SL crushes the merchant companies?
Re: Manticore Merchant Marine plus Junction Fees
Post by Hutch   » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:56 pm

Hutch
Vice Admiral

Oops.
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by Garth 2   » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:07 pm

Garth 2
Captain of the List

Good thing then:
A - Growth of the TQ and SC (SEM) is going on with all that tax revenue

and

B - the SL is failing part and all those verge systems, can suddenly pick and chose who they do business with.
Post by Dca   » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:47 pm

Dca
Lieutenant Commander

Brigade XO wrote:So, what is happening as far as 1) the Merchant Marine trying to rebuild the various sources of shipping revenue and 2) Manticore replacing at least part of the revenue lost by closing the Junction.
The problems remain as to what is going to happen to the economic engine that was the MMM if the war with the SL crushes the merchant companies?

I'm not aware of any direct ev, but the situation has got to be quite fluid. Talbott and Haven are open now, and presumably the organized piracy in Silesia is getting under control. So there are definitely new markets opening up for competitive carrying trade. The scale compared to the old SL trade isn't spelled out, but I got the impression that it'd still be a big reduction. So ... Carrying prices would fall in those newly over-served markets, since freight lines would rather take a small loss on a run than a big loss sitting empty. That would be good for other, organic economies, contributing to the growth Gweon warned about at the end of ART. But that will take time, and I think will be beaten to the punch by the SL's loss of other systems that will become fair game for trade again. As Roszak is planning for.

So I think they're all in damage control mode, financially, trying to survive till things settle down and the fighting moves elsewhere. I bet the injunction against non-military Trevor's Star traffic is already repealed, we just haven't heard about it yet.
[edit]Looks like SWM started another thread on this subject that I hadn't seen yet.

Return to Honorverse