Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 30 guests

Light bulb Captured Solly fleet

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Light bulb Captured Solly fleet
Post by Vince   » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:27 pm

Vince
Vice Admiral

Manticore currently does not have the shipyards (courtesy of the Mesan Alignment Navy) to take apart the the SLN ships from Spindle and Manticore that were captured.

Solution: After the vote on Beowulf, have the

Beowulf breakers

take the ships apart for what can be salvaged and use the rest for raw materials.
-------------------------------------------------------------
History does not repeat itself so much as it echoes.
Post by SharkHunter   » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:35 pm

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

--snipping--
cthia wrote:My question is whether reclamation yards, the Breakers, were destroyed as well?
Ah, keen insight, which is part and parcel of the assumption I'd made, that "the breakers" either don't exist in the same system (Spindle), or they're pretty busy already cleaning up all of the blown up "stuff" in Manticoran space already. Think "WTC cleanup effort times what, 100-200X or more?

One of the more depressing "reads" I ever came across had to do with the "what if there were a triggering collision of what we've already got orbiting planet Earth" in 2015, and it was pretty grim. I think they said it would be on the order of decades before orbital flights could be resumed. Likely some of the better forum tech guys can find the name of that scenario, but the first order of business HAS to be getting that debris dealt with ANYWAY.

So hulked or captured SD's and other SL ships in Manticore A & B space? yup, pull the explosive bits and then put them through the breakers toot sweet along with all of the other debris.
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Post by SWM   » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:25 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

SharkHunter wrote:So hulked or captured SD's and other SL ships in Manticore A & B space? yup, pull the explosive bits and then put them through the breakers toot sweet along with all of the other debris.

Sending the ships to the breakers is what most of us have been saying for years.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by Bill Woods   » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:41 pm

Bill Woods
Captain of the List

SharkHunter wrote:--snipping--

One of the more depressing "reads" I ever came across had to do with the "what if there were a triggering collision of what we've already got orbiting planet Earth" in 2015, and it was pretty grim. I think they said it would be on the order of decades before orbital flights could be resumed. Likely some of the better forum tech guys can find the name of that scenario, but the first order of business HAS to be getting that debris dealt with ANYWAY.
Kessler syndrome, dramatized in the film Gravity.
----
Imagined conversation:
Admiral [noting yet another Manty tech surprise]:
XO, what's the budget for the ONI?
Vice Admiral: I don't recall exactly, sir. Several billion quatloos.
Admiral: ... What do you suppose they did with all that money?
Post by Somtaaw   » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:15 pm

Somtaaw
Rear Admiral

Problem with using the breakers for any captured SLN ships, there's not much useful stuff there.

Raw wiring, various types? This is the biggest use of stripping down SLN ships. All wiring forms can be stripped, and re-used somewhere else.

Fusion Cores? Outdated, but a power core is a power core. And when you don't have anything else, even bad power is better than none.

Drive nodes? The Alpha's are useful, since hyper technology isn't something anyone outside of MAlign has spent any real time researching. Even Manticore hasn't really touched Alpha nodes. Beta nodes are crap, but potentially useful if put on downsized ships (SLN superdreadnought betas on Grand Alliance battlecruisers, SLN battlecruiser betas slapped on GA heavy cruisers. The smaller ships, and especially LAC's rely on beta-squared nodes, so those can't really be replaced)

Armor? Outdated, probably mostly metallic instead of the Havenite sector systems (Andermani, Haven, and Manticore), all using primarily ceramics. Also SLN is guaranteed to be in plates, bolted on after building, while Havenite sectors had gone to "grown in place", textev for that is in TSVW regarding Nike's lame fusion reactor.

Point Defense? Most SLN ships still class "PDLCs" as fairly new upgrades, and most of the Mothball Fleet still uses autocannon. SLN PDLC's are at best going to be worse than pre-OBS, with low RoF, and tiny range

Grasers? Without a doubt, going to be smaller, and vastly less powerful than Havenite sector nations were building. The lenses would be total junk, but the Superdreadnought generators might be useful.... to battlecruisers, after putting Havenite sector lenses in.

Lasers? Total trash, I don't think even destroyers keep lasers anymore, but I could be wrong and dont want to check wiki.

Missile tubes? Let's not even start pointing out how bad these are, and move on.

Compensators? Same as missile tubes, not touching these outdated junk piles.

The only thing supporting it, is that both Grayson and Manticore were pretty intent on sending any ship considered "obsolete" into the Breakers, with nigh fanatic determination. The only point either nation stopped, was because the second Havenite War broke out, and they needed the hulls more than reclaimed resources.

That fanatic intensity on sending old ships to the Breakers give the rough impression, their reclaiming is one helluva lot more efficient than we truly believe possible. Even White Haven's Benjamin the Great flagship was going to be sent to the Breakers, after they started rolling Harrington-class out of the yards. And he'd only commanded from the Benjie for less than a T-decade, which is incredibly short for a superdreadnought to go from "left yards" to "will be sent to Breakers soon™"
Post by kzt   » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:27 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

An asteroid mining wedge will take apart an SD just fine.
Post by crewdude48   » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:57 pm

crewdude48
Commodore

Somtaaw wrote:Raw wiring, various types? This is the biggest use of stripping down SLN ships. All wiring forms can be stripped, and re-used somewhere else.

I don't have my books on me right now, but I seem to remember, from an infodump on the Q-ship, that a regular warship has wiring built molecularly into the bulkheads, not run as wires, making it impossible to be stripped.
Post by saber964   » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:40 pm

saber964
Admiral

Somtaaw wrote:Problem with using the breakers for any captured SLN ships, there's not much useful stuff there.

Raw wiring, various types? This is the biggest use of stripping down SLN ships. All wiring forms can be stripped, and re-used somewhere else.

Fusion Cores? Outdated, but a power core is a power core. And when you don't have anything else, even bad power is better than none.

Drive nodes? The Alpha's are useful, since hyper technology isn't something anyone outside of MAlign has spent any real time researching. Even Manticore hasn't really touched Alpha nodes. Beta nodes are crap, but potentially useful if put on downsized ships (SLN superdreadnought betas on Grand Alliance battlecruisers, SLN battlecruiser betas slapped on GA heavy cruisers. The smaller ships, and especially LAC's rely on beta-squared nodes, so those can't really be replaced)

Armor? Outdated, probably mostly metallic instead of the Havenite sector systems (Andermani, Haven, and Manticore), all using primarily ceramics. Also SLN is guaranteed to be in plates, bolted on after building, while Havenite sectors had gone to "grown in place", textev for that is in TSVW regarding Nike's lame fusion reactor.

Point Defense? Most SLN ships still class "PDLCs" as fairly new upgrades, and most of the Mothball Fleet still uses autocannon. SLN PDLC's are at best going to be worse than pre-OBS, with low RoF, and tiny range

Grasers? Without a doubt, going to be smaller, and vastly less powerful than Havenite sector nations were building. The lenses would be total junk, but the Superdreadnought generators might be useful.... to battlecruisers, after putting Havenite sector lenses in.

Lasers? Total trash, I don't think even destroyers keep lasers anymore, but I could be wrong and dont want to check wiki.

Missile tubes? Let's not even start pointing out how bad these are, and move on.

Compensators? Same as missile tubes, not touching these outdated junk piles.

The only thing supporting it, is that both Grayson and Manticore were pretty intent on sending any ship considered "obsolete" into the Breakers, with nigh fanatic determination. The only point either nation stopped, was because the second Havenite War broke out, and they needed the hulls more than reclaimed resources.

That fanatic intensity on sending old ships to the Breakers give the rough impression, their reclaiming is one helluva lot more efficient than we truly believe possible. Even White Haven's Benjamin the Great flagship was going to be sent to the Breakers, after they started rolling Harrington-class out of the yards. And he'd only commanded from the Benjie for less than a T-decade, which is incredibly short for a superdreadnought to go from "left yards" to "will be sent to Breakers soon™"

How about things like medical equipment. Not sure what type or how advanced but I'm sure Olleander General Hospital on Basilica would love to get a free H-Verse equivalent of a CAT PET MRI scanner it might be a little out of date but who cares its a heck of a lot better than what we have now and we can always upgrade later. e.g. OGH using X-ray circa 1950 RW suddenly getting 1st-2nd gen CAT or MRI scanner circa 1980-90's or a regen chamber that 2-3 generations newer than we have now.
Post by Castenea   » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:01 pm

Castenea
Captain of the List

saber964 wrote:How about things like medical equipment. Not sure what type or how advanced but I'm sure Olleander General Hospital on Basilica would love to get a free H-Verse equivalent of a CAT PET MRI scanner it might be a little out of date but who cares its a heck of a lot better than what we have now and we can always upgrade later. e.g. OGH using X-ray circa 1950 RW suddenly getting 1st-2nd gen CAT or MRI scanner circa 1980-90's or a regen chamber that 2-3 generations newer than we have now.

I would expect things like sick bay equipment, consumables and other items that can be conveniently removed without removing bulkheads are going to be removed and reused where appropriate. Probably a survey and salvage team goes through the ship and locates and inventories all of that equipment, then sends in a recovery team to break it down into pieces that fit through the hatches, box it up then it is sent to where it will be used. OGH would get a copy of the operators manuals and engineering specs along with an expected delivery date, they would have to decide where to locate the equipment and acquire any power rectifiers and adapters needed.
Post by stewart   » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:41 pm

stewart
Captain of the List

Jonathan_S wrote:="SWM"]="Vince"]

I don't know about the mass limitation, but they don't keep going. They seem? to enter the wormhole, but they never come out:

You're right, they don't keep going. I forgot that bit of text.

Looks like they get destroyed when they hit the transit point. They don't go through the wormhole.[/quote]
My personal visualization, from that limited bit of text-ev, was that the grav "shear" at the terminus point was strong enough to rip apart anything without a sail to stabilize it and a hyper-generator to jump through (and of course the drones presumably had neither).

But for something much larger and robust than a drone I don't know if the terminus would still cause it to completely "cease to exist" or if it would only be mangled and broken into multiple large pieces.

However I don't think it'd trip the mass limit. Now if you could rig the hypergenerators and sails for complete unmanned operation you could (as someone suggested a while ago) temporarily block a wormhole by a manmanned mass transit. But it takes a lot of mass for less than a day of blockage; so it's unlikely to ever be useful.[/quote]

---------------

For those objects entering a wormhole without hyper-generators (configures to SAIL mode), their mass becomes energy (E=MC^2) and the energy is absorbed into the wormhole. (ie doesn't even cause a ripple)

-- Stewart

Return to Honorverse