Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 32 guests

Light bulb Captured Solly fleet

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Light bulb Captured Solly fleet
Post by stewart   » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:17 am

stewart
Captain of the List

Spacekiwi wrote:Hell, my brothers going through elec tech training, and his basic training was 5 months, and then this branch training will be a year. add in the gaps between basic training and his branch training, to allow for shipboard training (4 weeks or so for him), and you come pretty close to 2 years. And he comes out of the training the lowest et level you can be.

SWM wrote:That's on Earth today. In Manticore, you spend two years in training before you get on board a ship, and that's during wartime. And that's for tech third class.

-------------

Just a comment --

The USN Technical schools (and the USAF/USA/USMC/USCG) teach a basic platform / skill level. They also act as a filtering process.
After the budding technician gets to their first command, they start on OJT (on-the-job training) applying their school lessons to "real life" with weekly / monthly / periodic maintenance on working systems and inspections of that maintenance (on which their shore liberty depends)
While doing this they are also qualifying General Damage Control, general maintenance (OpNav 4790.4 series anyone ?) and their warfare qualifications (Sub dolphins, ESWS/EAWS/SCWS etc).

When we received anyone from either a school command or another fleet command, they were generally tag-teamed with another on-board tech for at least 2 months before they did maintenance on their own.

-- Stewart
ET1 / USN (ret)
(btw also x-Nuc)
Post by Spacekiwi   » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:48 am

Spacekiwi
Admiral

Pretty much what I was trying to say. thanks. :)

Yeah, he comes out of school after 2 years, but thats his basic branch training, and still leaves him needing to learn the advanced stuff. He expects to spend at least a year shipboard learning, as 'lucky' for him, they are going through a refit and upgrade process on some of the electronics and combat systems, among others. So he will spend as much time learning to be a naval sparky as it took me to get a degree........ They train those boys and girls well. :)

stewart wrote:[
-------------

Just a comment --

The USN Technical schools (and the USAF/USA/USMC/USCG) teach a basic platform / skill level. They also act as a filtering process.
After the budding technician gets to their first command, they start on OJT (on-the-job training) applying their school lessons to "real life" with weekly / monthly / periodic maintenance on working systems and inspections of that maintenance (on which their shore liberty depends)
While doing this they are also qualifying General Damage Control, general maintenance (OpNav 4790.4 series anyone ?) and their warfare qualifications (Sub dolphins, ESWS/EAWS/SCWS etc).

When we received anyone from either a school command or another fleet command, they were generally tag-teamed with another on-board tech for at least 2 months before they did maintenance on their own.

-- Stewart
ET1 / USN (ret)
(btw also x-Nuc)
`

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
its not paranoia if its justified... :D
Post by MAD-4A   » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:09 am

MAD-4A
Captain of the List

kzt wrote:David wrote this book about a bunch of neobarbaians with minimal OTJ and no formal navy training running a ship full of second-rate tech getting in a fight with a top notch crew from a top notch navy equipped with the most modern equipment. So you might think about reading Homor of the Queen sometime.
Yes, Quite right...and as I recall...If not for the completely improbable happenstance of having to face a super-brilliant captain commanding the opposing force AND having their own captain panic & screw the pooch royally, the rest of the "untrained neo-barb" crew would have succeeded. Had, instead of HMS Fearless, it been HMS Warlock with Pavel Young (or Elvis Santino - both fully trained, high ranking, highly experienced & highly incompetent Naval officers), Grayson would have been GONE!
-
Almost only counts in Horseshoes and Nuclear Weapons. I almost got the Hand-Grenade out the window does not count.
Post by Spacekiwi   » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:59 am

Spacekiwi
Admiral

So, 300 ktons vs a 900 kton ship, and 16 missiles vs 46 missiles, and 10 times the warm bodies, and they still had a problem with a ship that had just come out of a battle and lost some of it sensors, reducing the ability to destroy incoming fire. And the untrained neo-barb crew were in a haven ship, with the ship designed around the idea that the people using it werent too bright, being dolists and all. A heavy cruiser almost managed to force a mutual suicide with a battlecruiser. So a bad crew is then equivalent to abou ta third of ship with good crew then......

MAD-4A wrote:Yes, Quite right...and as I recall...If not for the completely improbable happenstance of having to face a super-brilliant captain commanding the opposing force AND having their own captain panic & screw the pooch royally, the rest of the "untrained neo-barb" crew would have succeeded. Had, instead of HMS Fearless, it been HMS Warlock with Pavel Young (or Elvis Santino - both fully trained, high ranking, highly experienced & highly incompetent Naval officers), Grayson would have been GONE!
`

its not paranoia if its justified... :D
Post by munroburton   » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:57 am

munroburton
Admiral

MAD-4A wrote:
kzt wrote:David wrote this book about a bunch of neobarbaians with minimal OTJ and no formal navy training running a ship full of second-rate tech getting in a fight with a top notch crew from a top notch navy equipped with the most modern equipment. So you might think about reading Homor of the Queen sometime.
Yes, Quite right...and as I recall...If not for the completely improbable happenstance of having to face a super-brilliant captain commanding the opposing force AND having their own captain panic & screw the pooch royally, the rest of the "untrained neo-barb" crew would have succeeded. Had, instead of HMS Fearless, it been HMS Warlock with Pavel Young (or Elvis Santino - both fully trained, high ranking, highly experienced & highly incompetent Naval officers), Grayson would have been GONE!

I wouldn't call Harrington in Honor of the Queen super-brilliant. She screwed up at least twice tactically - the first time against that LAC which got an attack run in and the second, when she broke off the engagement with Saladin.

It wasn't just Sword Simonds' panic that let the Masadans down either - their tac department was running canned EW programs, which let Cardones land a few contact nukes.

Similarly in the Battle of Monica, after another bunch of neobarbs(significantly less technophobic than the Masadans too) were given ex-SLN battlecruisers. One of their engineers screwed up and let a fusion reactor blow up because of patronage/inexperience/insufficient training/being thrown into action earlier than expected.
Post by thinkstoomuch   » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:46 am

thinkstoomuch
Admiral

So living on the ship being trained by subject matter experts for months is minimally trained in your opinion.

Oh, did I mention they were already trained as spacemen. In a society that was already maintaining forward presence deployments. That by definition are already a hyper capable navy with their equivalents of DDs and CLs.

Oh yeh, they also have had, at this point, diplomatic presence of both Manticore and Haven for years. With many demonstrations of what they need to learn. That is kind of hard to quantify but does inhibit "not invented here".

Granted the subject matter experts training was intentional spotty. Hence the issues with the tactical and command performance.

munroburton's example is a much more likely outcome in my opinion or perhaps something like what happened in Tiberon(sp). 4 CAs with every tactical advantage in the book at the start of the battle. Exactly how many survived? That was with "Trained"(?) pirates with many years of experience and months on the ships in question. Much could be learned from the opinion of the ex-RHN officer in command of the force on the repair ship about this whole argument.

Have fun,
T2M
-----------------------
Q: “How can something be worth more than it costs? Isn’t everything ‘worth’ what it costs?”
A: “No. That’s just the price. ...
Christopher Anvil from Top Line in "War Games"
Post by Bill Woods   » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:42 pm

Bill Woods
Captain of the List

munroburton wrote: I wouldn't call Harrington in Honor of the Queen super-brilliant. She screwed up at least twice tactically - the first time against that LAC which got an attack run in and the second, when she broke off the engagement with Saladin.

It wasn't just Sword Simonds' panic that let the Masadans down either - their tac department was running canned EW programs, which let Cardones land a few contact nukes.

Similarly in the Battle of Monica, after another bunch of neobarbs(significantly less technophobic than the Masadans too) were given ex-SLN battlecruisers. One of their engineers screwed up and let a fusion reactor blow up because of patronage/inexperience/insufficient training/being thrown into action earlier than expected.
I think that's kind of unfair. I mean, he did lack experience and training, but I don't see a clear screw up.
Yet this time, he was painfully aware of his shortcomings. In the last two weeks he'd begun finding his way around, well enough, at least, that he was pretty sure his ratings and petty officers were no longer laughing behind his back. And he had to admit the Technodyne technicians were right; Typhoon's power rooms really were laid out better, with controls that were easier to use. They just weren't the controls Tyler had spent three and a half T-years learning like the back of his own hand aboard the cruiser Star Fury.
As he listened to the alarms howl, he hoped the damage control parties had learned their equipment better than he'd learned his.
Power surges cascaded through her systems, starting in Impeller One and Laser Three. Automatic circuit breakers stopped most of them, but three of the breakers themselves had been knocked out. Rampant energy surged past them, and a broadside graser's superconductor ring blew, shattering internal bulkheads and adding its own massive power to the surge.
The surge that came roaring down the graser's main feed trunk and straight into Power One.
The untamed torrent of energy thundered into the compartment, and an already nervous petty officer leapt back as his control panel blew up. He fell to the decksole on the seat of his pants as electrical fires danced through the control runs, and an alarm began to scream.
"Captain, this is Tyler, in Power One!" the young voice in Captain Schroeder's earbug was raw with terror. "We're losing containment on Fusion One!"
"Shut it down!"
"Sir, I'm trying, but—"
In hindsight, calling the captain was a waste of time, but unless there's a Big Red Button he should have pushed, I don't think you can say he wasn't just overwhelmed by the circumstances. 'Golden BBs' do happen.
----
Imagined conversation:
Admiral [noting yet another Manty tech surprise]:
XO, what's the budget for the ONI?
Vice Admiral: I don't recall exactly, sir. Several billion quatloos.
Admiral: ... What do you suppose they did with all that money?
Post by munroburton   » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:26 pm

munroburton
Admiral

Bill Woods wrote:
munroburton wrote: I wouldn't call Harrington in Honor of the Queen super-brilliant. She screwed up at least twice tactically - the first time against that LAC which got an attack run in and the second, when she broke off the engagement with Saladin.

I think that's kind of unfair. I mean, he did lack experience and training, but I don't see a clear screw up.
Yet this time, he was painfully aware of his shortcomings. In the last two weeks he'd begun finding his way around, well enough, at least, that he was pretty sure his ratings and petty officers were no longer laughing behind his back. And he had to admit the Technodyne technicians were right; Typhoon's power rooms really were laid out better, with controls that were easier to use. They just weren't the controls Tyler had spent three and a half T-years learning like the back of his own hand aboard the cruiser Star Fury.
As he listened to the alarms howl, he hoped the damage control parties had learned their equipment better than he'd learned his.
Power surges cascaded through her systems, starting in Impeller One and Laser Three. Automatic circuit breakers stopped most of them, but three of the breakers themselves had been knocked out. Rampant energy surged past them, and a broadside graser's superconductor ring blew, shattering internal bulkheads and adding its own massive power to the surge.
The surge that came roaring down the graser's main feed trunk and straight into Power One.
The untamed torrent of energy thundered into the compartment, and an already nervous petty officer leapt back as his control panel blew up. He fell to the decksole on the seat of his pants as electrical fires danced through the control runs, and an alarm began to scream.
"Captain, this is Tyler, in Power One!" the young voice in Captain Schroeder's earbug was raw with terror. "We're losing containment on Fusion One!"
"Shut it down!"
"Sir, I'm trying, but—"
In hindsight, calling the captain was a waste of time, but unless there's a Big Red Button he should have pushed, I don't think you can say he wasn't just overwhelmed by the circumstances. 'Golden BBs' do happen.

Fair enough - perhaps overly harsh on the guy and battlecruisers don't put their fusion rooms near enough to the hull for an ejection - no big red buttons, then.

But there's nothing to say that an experienced, fully trained and drilled engineer couldn't have done something about it either.

And that's part of the whole problem. Those ships have none of the improved armour(internal and external), sidewall generators(for the front and rear), enhanced PDLCs/CMs, not were they designed with the benefit of 10 years of picking through battle damage.

Just because human wave attacks are possible, doesn't mean they should be made.
Post by saber964   » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:41 pm

saber964
Admiral

Spacekiwi wrote:Pretty much what I was trying to say. thanks. :)

Yeah, he comes out of school after 2 years, but thats his basic branch training, and still leaves him needing to learn the advanced stuff. He expects to spend at least a year shipboard learning, as 'lucky' for him, they are going through a refit and upgrade process on some of the electronics and combat systems, among others. So he will spend as much time learning to be a naval sparky as it took me to get a degree........ They train those boys and girls well. :)

stewart wrote:[
-------------

Just a comment --

-- Stewart
ET1 / USN (ret)
(btw also x-Nuc)

When I was clanking anchors we always told the newbies

"Training fine sonny but, this is the fleet."

BM1 USN/R 17 Years
Post by MAD-4A   » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:23 pm

MAD-4A
Captain of the List

munroburton wrote:I wouldn't call Harrington in Honor of the Queen super-brilliant. She screwed up at least twice tactically - the first time against that LAC which got an attack run in
Not true, she, nor any of her other Captains or her Exec, had any Idea that there were ANY hostile ships in the system. She was in a friendly system with NO known enemy bases or construction facilities, and she was approaching non-hyper capable system defense ships. She had absolutely no reason to think they were a threat. The chances of surviving an ambush are entirely dependent on the skills of the ambusher, the skills of the ambushee have absolutely no effect on their survival.
munroburton wrote:... and the second, when she broke off the engagement with Saladin.
Not so, (in hind-site) if she hadn't broke off, then she likely wouldn't of had time for Adm Alexander to arrive and set her up with a perfect shot. Her, Fearless & Grayson (& perhaps Manticore) may well have ceased to exist.

+ everybody makes some mistakes, even super-geniuses. Even Einstein made mistakes and Ben Franklin came up with “Daylight savings time” :|
-
Almost only counts in Horseshoes and Nuclear Weapons. I almost got the Hand-Grenade out the window does not count.

Return to Honorverse