Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 144 guests

System Guard

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: System Guard
Post by Jonathan_S   » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:49 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Lord Skimper wrote:One can always make pods. Don't even need slips to make pods.

As for the Silesian slips. A year to retool should be enough time. The Manty home system has no slips but it has the parts manufacturing systems. The basics and some of the advanced not on the stations stuff. That is still there.
Um, almost everything you need to build or refit ships, missiles, or missile pods was on the stations.

That's the downside of putting all your manufacturing closer to your (orbital) resources, and off the planet where you don't have to worry about industrial byproducts polluting your nice clean biosphere. (Of course if you were willing to put the same level of environmental controls and isolation around a planetside factory as you have to for a stationside one you wouldn't have any pollution leaking into the planet's biosphere anyway).

But RFC has told us that almost all the manufacturing capability, especially anything heavy industry or military oriented, was on those stations that Manticore lost.
Post by Vince   » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:01 pm

Vince
Vice Admiral

Whitecold wrote:Besides failing to explain why you are so dead set on using crappy missiles, why should Silesia get special ships?
If any of those planets get to be full members of the Star empire, their citizens will be able to enlist in the RMN, Marines and Army. Any second rank force strikes me as a political disaster on top of a military one.
Besides Manticore learned from Grendelsbane as well as from Alizon. All those yards ended up in a commitment of forces to defend them, and they got wrecked in the end. Centralized production is much more efficient, and barring any new undetectable drives they are safe.

I think that the reason that Skimper is constantly coming up with idiotic ideas for the RMN is that he is a Mesan Alignment agent provocateur.
-------------------------------------------------------------
History does not repeat itself so much as it echoes.
Post by KNick   » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:44 pm

KNick
Admiral

Vince wrote:I think that the reason that Skimper is constantly coming up with idiotic ideas for the RMN is that he is a Mesan Alignment agent provocateur.

Sorry. I can't agree with this. A Alignment agent would come up with ideas that would be closer to practical, while still wasting resources.
_

Try to take a fisherman's fish and you will be tomorrows bait!!!
Post by Brigade XO   » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:52 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

It is POSSIBLE that in the aftermath of the Battle of Monica that a number ( I think there were four possibly six) of the freighters that were sent to Monica - if they survived- were partialy full of "SLN" (Technodyne) pods) such as the 120 odd pods that hammered the SLN scratch squadron. I can see SLN taking those ships- with pods- and doing something with them. Some were called "minelayers" althought they may just have been jury-rigged freighters.

It is POSSIBLE that having shifted the ships (presuming they didn't scuttle them after looking for examples of SL tech and weapons and all the info in the computers) to someplace like Spindle, that they could use a quantity of the pods to bolster some of the defences for the SKM systems in Talbot Quadrent. That would take work. They would have to bring people up to speed on both the ships (which were basicaly freighters) and the pods and them have to maintain them once deployed. Short (very) term solution but if SKM does have them they could use them. Once fired, there are NO reloads so the pods would then be reclaimed as materials.

It is also quite possible, though it isn't covered in the book, that SKM simply scuttled the ships though that would have been a waste, even though they were "Solly" freighters.

I have wondered if either of the two repair/engineering ships at Monica were left in a condition such that they could be taken away. That would at least provide some extra capacity in the Quadrant for repairs. However, they would need to train and provide crews, especialy the techs, to work them to make satisfactory use.

Silesia is covered with a fairly strong detachment of ships. The whole idea is to finally get rid of both the pirates, "privateers" and the worst of the corrupt government people. Any of the still-existing Silesian (or local rebel star system) navy ships would be quite able to handle regular pirates. They just have to be kept honest and we have seen a couple of references that the commanding Admiral is getting things sorted out. I would presume that existing weapons lines in the several systems that were making them could still be producing missiles and parts for the former Confed and other "SDF" ships. Keeping the lid on that is RMN's job combined with the local SKM governors and whatever troops (probably soon to be replacing Marines with Army troops) to assist local law enforcement in upholding the SKM laws that have been imposed.

One big point is that SKM isn't looking to impose differnet laws on all the systems in Silesia, they are putting in-place Manticorian law and that will be consistant cluster wide. Much better example of this can be found in the conversations about the Constitutional Convention in Shadow of Saganami. Good laws, consistantly and evenly applied across the whold cluster will help a lot.
Post by Vince   » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:20 pm

Vince
Vice Admiral

KNick wrote:
Vince wrote:I think that the reason that Skimper is constantly coming up with idiotic ideas for the RMN is that he is a Mesan Alignment agent provocateur.

Sorry. I can't agree with this. A Alignment agent would come up with ideas that would be closer to practical, while still wasting resources.

You're right. OK then, an unculled Mesan Alignment agent provocateur. Or maybe he works for the Invincible Solarian Navy Throw It Against The Star And See If It Sticks Department.
-------------------------------------------------------------
History does not repeat itself so much as it echoes.
Post by Whitecold   » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:55 am

Whitecold
Commander

KNick wrote:

My personal theory is that he's White Havens darkest nightmare about Sonja Hemphill.
Post by Cheopis   » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:57 am

Cheopis
Vice Admiral

Vince wrote:
KNick wrote:

You're right. OK then, an unculled Mesan Alignment agent provocateur. Or maybe he works for the Invincible Solarian Navy Throw It Against The Star And See If It Sticks Department.

He's one of the last remnant Peep Statesec intelligence officers that the Havenites haven't been able to extradite from Mesa. That's gotta be it.

Return to Honorverse