Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 104 guests

Honorverse Euphemisms

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honorverse Euphemisms
Post by TheMonster   » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:38 am

TheMonster
Rear Admiral

saber964 wrote:I would say that since Mac's job is more than just a cook, that Steward could be construed as a euphemism for Servant, which implies a lower-class person, who may or may not have volunteered for that job.
But every single steward DW has written about is far more than a servant to the high-ranking officer to whom he attends. They are almost like parents. Chris makes sure Gold Peak doesn't eat too much dessert. Joanna protects the secret of Terekhov's nocturnal demons. If you want to disturb Honor's sleep, you're going to have to get past Mac (not to mention at least one of her armsmen) to do it.

The fact that they all seem to have this same protective "parental" impulse suggests that it's institutional. RMN stewards must be trained to do these things, or the job is only awarded to those who already think that way.

The same thing applies in Grayson society with "maids" like Miranda. She was far from "low class", and she didn't seem to be unique in that regard.
Post by Werrf   » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:04 pm

Werrf
Vice Admiral

TheMonster wrote:
saber964 wrote:I would say that since Mac's job is more than just a cook, that Steward could be construed as a euphemism for Servant, which implies a lower-class person, who may or may not have volunteered for that job.
But every single steward DW has written about is far more than a servant to the high-ranking officer to whom he attends. They are almost like parents. Chris makes sure Gold Peak doesn't eat too much dessert. Joanna protects the secret of Terekhov's nocturnal demons. If you want to disturb Honor's sleep, you're going to have to get past Mac (not to mention at least one of her armsmen) to do it.
The same thing applies in Grayson society with "maids" like Miranda. She was far from "low class", and she didn't seem to be unique in that regard.

The traditional army term for these people is "batman"; in civilian life, they're called valets. The closest equivalent we have today is a personal assistant, but with higher status, and yes, in a lot of ways these people are like parents to their charges. Their job is to look after the person that the office inhabits, so that the office in question can focus entirely on their job (ie, it's Mac's job to look after Honor Harrington, so that Admiral Harrington isn't distracted shining her boots when the balloon goes up).
Post by MaxxQ   » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:18 pm

MaxxQ
BuNine

Just want to clear up a quoting malfunction. In the following quoted post, what is attributed to saber964 is something *I* said, that was misquoted in a previous post.

TheMonster wrote:

The fact that they all seem to have this same protective "parental" impulse suggests that it's institutional. RMN stewards must be trained to do these things, or the job is only awarded to those who already think that way.

I know that. I never said otherwise. Quoting me out of context makes it seem as if I am calling stewards "servants", which I never did. What I said was that there are people out there who would consider both to mean the same thing, and thus would use the terms interchangeably, or at least consider the word "steward" as a nicer way to say "servant". Therefore, a euphemism, which is what this thread is about.

John Prigent wrote:Actually Samwise Gamgee wasn't Frodo's servant, he was Frodo's gardener and volunteered to go along as a companion just like Pippin.
Cheers
John

I know that too. Wasn't much opportunity for gardening on their little stroll, though, so that point's irrelevant. He may not have been a servant in name, but in some people's eyes, he was nothing but. Of course, those same people missed the nuances that makes Sam much more than just a servant.

Maybe my lack of writing ability is making people misunderstand what I'm saying, or trying to say, at least.
Post by Werrf   » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:52 pm

Werrf
Vice Admiral

MaxxQ wrote:
John Prigent wrote:Actually Samwise Gamgee wasn't Frodo's servant, he was Frodo's gardener and volunteered to go along as a companion just like Pippin.
Cheers
John

I know that too. Wasn't much opportunity for gardening on their little stroll, though, so that point's irrelevant. He may not have been a servant in name, but in some people's eyes, he was nothing but. Of course, those same people missed the nuances that makes Sam much more than just a servant.

Actually, to be precise, Sam's last job before they left the Shire was indeed to be Frodo's servant. From Fellowship, Chapter 3:
It had been officially announced that Sam was coming to Buckland 'to do for Mr. Frodo and look after his bit of garden';

'Do for' someone, in this context, meaning acting as his valet/servant.
Post by John Prigent   » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:37 pm

John Prigent
Captain of the List

'Your servant? Your servant? Indeed I'm not your servant! I'm a free and independent employee!'

Who recalls that one?

Cheers

John
Post by cthia   » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:37 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

An interesting observation. The Navy shows on so many occasions what it thinks about euphemisms and politically correctness.

Snotty?
Vacuum suckers?
Maggot?
Pig's ear?

Are these reverse-euphemisms? I dunno.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Spacekiwi   » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:25 pm

Spacekiwi
Admiral

Tradition more like. The names will be just part of the informal tradition of the RMN. They are called snotties today, so just constant use of the name over the next 1000 years or so woukld fit in with a military force, as it still works well, doesnt need changing, and would be too much trouble to change the mindset of an entire navy over words, so the names just stuck around.

cthia wrote:An interesting observation. The Navy shows on so many occasions what it thinks about euphemisms and politically correctness.

Snotty?
Vacuum suckers?
Maggot?
Pig's ear?

`

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
its not paranoia if its justified... :D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by crewdude48   » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:54 am

crewdude48
Commodore

Kind of like how we still call Marines "Leather Necks" even though they haven't had leather neck pieces on the uniforms since the late 1800s. Admittedly, two hundred years is not the same as two thousand, but I suspect (as Mr. Weber does) that audio and video recording will slow language change.

Spacekiwi wrote:Tradition more like. The names will be just part of the informal tradition of the RMN. They are called snotties today, so just constant use of the name over the next 1000 years or so woukld fit in with a military force, as it still works well, doesnt need changing, and would be too much trouble to change the mindset of an entire navy over words, so the names just stuck around.

cthia wrote:An interesting observation. The Navy shows on so many occasions what it thinks about euphemisms and politically correctness.

Snotty?
Vacuum suckers?
Maggot?
Pig's ear?

Post by cthia   » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:01 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

crewdude48 wrote:Kind of like how we still call Marines "Leather Necks" even though they haven't had leather neck pieces on the uniforms since the late 1800s.
<snip>

Didn't know Marines were known as leather necks as well.
I thought it was just a term for football players. There was even a fairly recent movie named leathernecks.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by MaxxQ   » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:07 pm

MaxxQ
BuNine

cthia wrote:
crewdude48 wrote:Kind of like how we still call Marines "Leather Necks" even though they haven't had leather neck pieces on the uniforms since the late 1800s.
<snip>

Didn't know Marines were known as leather necks as well.
I thought it was just a term for football players. There was even a fairly recent movie named leathernecks.

There's an older movie (1951) called The Flying Leathernecks, starring John Wayne and Robert Ryan, about WWII USMC aviators.

Return to Honorverse