Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 56 guests

Honorverse Euphemisms

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Honorverse Euphemisms
Post by captainofthelist   » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:24 pm

captainofthelist
Commander

Every time I read the title Battle Fleet, I cannot help but think it's such a euphemism. After all- BF never fought any battles, aside from policial and bureaucratic infighting within the SL.

Can you think of any other Honorverse Euphemisms?
Re: Honorverse Euphemisms
Post by Dafmeister   » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:43 pm

Dafmeister
Commodore

captainofthelist wrote:Every time I read the title Battle Fleet, I cannot help but think it's such a euphemism. After all- BF never fought any battles, aside from policial and bureaucratic infighting within the SL.

It could be argued that the fact that Battle Fleet hasn't fought a battle in centuries makes it the most successful fleet in history. After all, no-one dared to have a go in three hundred years...
Post by Howard T. Map-addict   » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:53 pm

Howard T. Map-addict
Rear Admiral

Battle Fleet was originally formed to fight battles.
IfIRC, it was a fan who first suggested that name!
So 'no' not a euphemism.

HTM

captainofthelist wrote:Every time I read the title Battle Fleet, I cannot help but think it's such a euphemism. After all- BF never fought any battles, aside from policial and bureaucratic infighting within the SL.

Post by cthia   » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:58 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Sex slave

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:11 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Honor is going to kill me for this one, I should study the Ellington Protocol.
Steward

An aside:
In the case of Cerberus and Moon launched missiles, could they be considered flak?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by crewdude48   » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:22 pm

crewdude48
Commodore

cthia wrote:Sex slave

Euphemism; an innocuous word used in place of one found offensive. How is sex slave not offensive? If there was a euphemism, it would be involuntary companion or something like that. A euphemism for Battle Fleet would be Defence Force.

In fact, Beowulf Self Defense Force is a euphemism due to the fact that they can use those SDs of theirs for attacking.
Post by cthia   » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:36 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

crewdude48 wrote:
cthia wrote:Sex slave

Euphemism; an innocuous word used in place of one found offensive. How is sex slave not offensive? If there was a euphemism, it would be involuntary companion or something like that. A euphemism for Battle Fleet would be Defence Force.

In fact, Beowulf Self Defense Force is a euphemism due to the fact that they can use those SDs of theirs for attacking.

I think it can be a rather subjective thing...euphemisms.

Because prostitute (slu#, ho, trollop) is much worse. IMHO

Post by kzt   » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:41 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Huh?

A does not equal B.
Post by cthia   » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:45 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:Huh?

A does not equal B.

Well carry the 1 next time.

In fact, I think it is one of the most glaring euphemisms in the Honorverse.

And because of his young readers I always thought RFC used it because of that. For me, it's more subtle.

Post by cthia   » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:52 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

In fact, I had this discussion in class once.
Professor asked the class what we felt about the term politically correct.

I responded by saying it's the same as euphemizing something.

I got 10 points! And believe me, in her class...every point helped! :lol:

I'm only laughing now, cause I wasn't laughing then.
That woman was a beeotch (can i call this a euphemism?)

Return to Honorverse