Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: George J. Smith and 74 guests

Honorverse Euphemisms

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honorverse Euphemisms
Post by kzt   » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:55 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Didn't know Marines were known as leather necks as well.
I thought it was just a term for football players. There was even a fairly recent movie named leathernecks.

Umm, wasn't that Leatherheads?
Post by Dca   » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:39 pm

Dca
Lieutenant Commander

kzt wrote:
cthia wrote:Didn't know Marines were known as leather necks as well.
I thought it was just a term for football players. There was even a fairly recent movie named leathernecks.

Jarhead was the term I heard, but luckily never had the chance to use, not being a Marine myself.
Post by MaxxQ   » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:11 am

MaxxQ
BuNine

Leathernecks was a term used for Marines way back when.

Leatherheads was a term used for football (American) players even more way back when.

Jarheads is the current term for Marines.

Leathernecks was in the title of the movie I mentioned earlier starring John Wayne.

Leatherheads was the title of a football (American) movie that was out a few years ago starring George Clooney.

Jarhead was the name of a movie out a few years ago starring Jake Gyllenhaal.
Post by cthia   » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:44 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Dca wrote:
kzt wrote:Didn't know Marines were known as leather necks as well.

Jarhead was the term I heard, but luckily never had the chance to use, not being a Marine myself.

Yes it was Leatherheads. Oops. Thanks.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Tue May 13, 2014 3:16 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Couldn't resist sharing this. Came across it in...
CoG
"Cargo” was a euphemism, dealing with slavers. The term meant human beings, alive and…certainly not well, given the realities of their situation, but still very far from dead.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense

Return to Honorverse