Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 50 guests

Nimitz

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Nimitz
Post by Coljr3   » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:45 pm

Coljr3
Midshipman

I just read the comic today and overall I totally approve. But the portrayal of Nimitz is so wrong. I know artists have a vision but please don't bring this version into the movie. Nimitz is supposed to be a wolf in sheep's clothing. This one could eat a wolf for breakfast IMHO lol.
Nimitz should be cute and friendly. This one is plain ugly.
Re: Nimitz
Post by MaxxQ   » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:59 pm

MaxxQ
BuNine

Coljr3 wrote:I just read the comic today and overall I totally approve. But the portrayal of Nimitz is so wrong. I know artists have a vision but please don't bring this version into the movie. Nimitz is supposed to be a wolf in sheep's clothing. This one could eat a wolf for breakfast IMHO lol.

First off, welcome to the forums. First drink's on the house. Hope you enjoy your time here.

Most of the threads regarding the comic (and the movie, and probably the game as well, although there isn't much on that yet) are in the Evergreen Studios subforum.

With that said, pretty much everyone agrees with you (there may be one or two people that don't, but I can't think of anyone at the moment).

Also mentioned in those threads is that apparently, the artist doesn't speak english (he's Korean), and someone - I forget who - admitted they had neglected to tell the artist that Nimitz was fur-covered. I also believe it's been either mentioned or implied that work on Nimitz is still ongoing, that the comic is kind of a "sounding board" for the movie visuals, and that things will/may change over time. They're still trying to work out the anatomy of a six-limbed creature, as well as how it would move, so for now, I would consider Nimitz still a work-in-progress.

We've already had much improvement in the look of Honor's uniform (and uniforms in general) and the look of Harkness was changed after comments from fans of the books. Also, another change that we should be seeing from the first comic (and maybe the second - not sure if they have enough time to make changes for that issue) is a bigger gender mix, as well as more ethnicities, to line up more with the books.
Post by kzt   » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:05 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

I saw what had to be 20 different versions of tree cats at honorcon, Some were way out there, some looked interesting but none yet "worked". The most interesting one to the crowd had a somewhat odd structure, but it looked better and made more sense than most others. But evergreen hasn't released that presentation.
Post by Greentea   » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:37 pm

Greentea
Commander

Coljr3 wrote:I just read the comic today and overall I totally approve. But the portrayal of Nimitz is so wrong. I know artists have a vision but please don't bring this version into the movie. Nimitz is supposed to be a wolf in sheep's clothing. This one could eat a wolf for breakfast IMHO lol.

I agree wholeheartedly. I would love to tell Evergreen to think Red Panda http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_panda with gray and cream coloring, a slightly more cat-like face and an extra set of limbs. Treecats are exremely cute (like a housecat or ferret) but with sharp claws capable of a lot of damage.
Cup of tea? Yes, please.
Post by Brigade XO   » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:30 am

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

I could deal with a variation of a Red Panda, slightly longer for the third pair of legs so a bit more ferret shaped, and more of a domestic cat face. 25lbs would make a good size
Post by Dca   » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:30 pm

Dca
Lieutenant Commander

Martens are arboreals that inhabit boreal forests. Related to weasels, minks, otters and such. Very cute looking like domesticated ferrets, but probably as friendly as their cousins the minks and stoats. Neck and snout seem better (shorter) on the red panda, though.

Yes, it's a boreal arboreal. :roll:
Last edited by Dca on Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post by Northstar   » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:18 pm

Northstar
Rear Admiral

Brigade XO wrote:I could deal with a variation of a Red Panda, slightly longer for the third pair of legs so a bit more ferret shaped, and more of a domestic cat face. 25lbs would make a good size

Yes to all this. :)

Weirdly enough I just saw some pix of a critter whose limbs arrangement beats anything I've seen so far as a treecat analog, actually a live critter one.

It is the actually microscopic 'water bear' aka tardigrades, which is quite the critter in its own right. Can survive in the vacuum of deep space, for example. Wild and weird beastie. Google them and enjoy. Even kinda cute in an odd alien kinda way.

The point here is the limbs have sort of hands on them and six show in most pix, might actually be 8 but the six showing is a darn good example of limb arrangement for Nimitz. Who certainly otherwise does not look like a water bear... though it is odd how mammalian they are in basic shape, even a sort of hands. Ain't Nature a trip? :D Can survive above 350 degrees F and equally 350 below zero F. Can go ten years with no water and pop back alive once wetted. amazing critter. :D

If someone wrote a scifi story using water bears actual capacities for an alien critter, we'd all say 'oh come on' ... and we'd be wrong. They are an actual living critter right here on earth. Now... where they really came from.... who knows? :P :D :P

While you are googling weird life forms try 'slime molds'. The Blob lives and can do mazes and some even 'farm' their fave food bacteria. Many are actually beautiful, despite the gross name. :mrgreen:
Post by cthia   » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:30 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

In hopes of keeping with nuances of the storyline, I cannot fathom Nimitz having anything other than a sweet huggable appearance. Even Nimitz on the hardbound cover of Basilisk Station is frightening, and I am ecstatic that his appearance has pleasantly morphed over time.

Considering that Nimitz is well liked by children, especially remembering the Mayhew children's explosive reaction whenever Nimitz visited, evokes imagery of a teddy-bear-like cuddly appearance.

Remember Honor, on many occasions alluded to the fact that Nimitz never had any trouble charming the crew for celery, or anyone else he met; even officers of the Republican Navy who would have been even less comfortable with treecats?

With the hideous appearance of a Nimitz, it wouldn't be correct that he charmed people into giving them celery rather than frightened them.

You want my celery? Sure, have it. Take my hamburger too. Can I go now?!

Also, in keeping with the many times Honor states that Nimitz' lethality was often underestimated and that its revelation always certainly shocked, seems to infer a subdued, gentle looking creature.

It's difficult to underestimate a creature whose appearance alone bespeaks...shoot it!

If the movie portrays Nimitz as a hideous creature, it will be a profound failure, IMHO.

I refuse to read the comic before the movie, although I do want the comic...for...collecting.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by pokermind   » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:20 pm

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

Poll on new Nimitz in Evergreen sub forum http://forums.davidweber.net/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5044 As I type results as follows 132 do not like new Nimitz (98%) 3 like him (2%) you can add your votes or change them.

Poker
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.
With apologies to Gilbert & Sullivan
Post by TheMonster   » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:47 pm

TheMonster
Rear Admiral

Dca wrote:Yes, it's a boreal arboreal. :roll:
They're the very model of a boreal arboreal.
They eat a wide variety of animal and vegetable.
They'll even chew on "mineral" (if soft enough) material:
on rubber and on plastic and on others petrochemical.
In Europe they do that so well, the damage: millions annual.
And yet the name for money is the same as this mere animal
all throughout Croatia, both mountainous and littoral.

Return to Honorverse