Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 56 guests

Grayson gen mods to be given new emigres?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Grayson gen mods to be given new emigres?
Post by Grashtel   » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:00 am

Grashtel
Captain of the List

SYED wrote:SAy some poisonous planet while deadly, could be very profitable, so any long term population would choose to give their kids a way to deal with the long term issue of exposure. Grayson while deal, is an excellent osurce of those deadly materials, so easily produced for industry.

And unless something particularly screwy is going on the rest of the system will also be rich in heavy elements so they can be obtained by conventional asteroid mining without having to even touch the planet. If for some reason you do have to mine the planet then there is no need to have a long term population on planet, and even if you do modern Honorverse technology is quite capable of providing large scale high quality sealed habitats (eg the Skydomes on Grayson)

ETA: It is also questionable if it is worth colonizing a planet or even just going to a different system for particular elements, unless they are needed in large quantities the incidental production from normal asteroid mining is almost certainly going to fill the demand.
Last edited by Grashtel on Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post by Garth 2   » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:25 am

Garth 2
Captain of the List

in answer to the original question, what would be the point?

White Haven and Honor, not mention all the loaned military personnel and diplomatic staff, stayed on Grayson for months (if not years) and had suffered no negative effects that current medical technology couldn't deal with.

Therefore what would be the point of introducing a genetic mutation to deal with a problem that doesn't exist and could cause a lot secondary problems.
Post by MsBekky   » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:39 pm

MsBekky
Midshipman

I have been ghosting this forum for a while, reading over my wife's shoulder. She is the one who usually posts things here, but I wanted to say this for my self.

Personally, even if they guaranteed that they had eliminated the problem gene, I would absolutely not be one of the first hundred thousand people to get the new modification. No way no how. And probably not until a lot of other women got the new sequence and gave birth to healthy children would I even consider it.

Garth 2 wrote:in answer to the original question, what would be the point?

White Haven and Honor, not mention all the loaned military personnel and diplomatic staff, stayed on Grayson for months (if not years) and had suffered no negative effects that current medical technology couldn't deal with.

Therefore what would be the point of introducing a genetic mutation to deal with a problem that doesn't exist and could cause a lot secondary problems.
Post by saber964   » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:29 pm

saber964
Admiral

Grashtel wrote:
SYED wrote:SAy some poisonous planet while deadly, could be very profitable, so any long term population would choose to give their kids a way to deal with the long term issue of exposure. Grayson while deal, is an excellent osurce of those deadly materials, so easily produced for industry.

And unless something particularly screwy is going on the rest of the system will also be rich in heavy elements so they can be obtained by conventional asteroid mining without having to even touch the planet. If for some reason you do have to mine the planet then there is no need to have a long term population on planet, and even if you do modern Honorverse technology is quite capable of providing large scale high quality sealed habitats (eg the Skydomes on Grayson)

EA: It is also questionable if it is worth colonizing a planet or even just going to a different system for particular elements, unless they are needed in large quantities the incidental production from normal asteroid mining is almost certainly going to fill the demand.

You have to remember that Manticore's medical tech is 2-3 hundred years better than Grayson's when Grayson allied with Manticore. So it would be a snap for Manticore to build a nanite to go after large concentrations of heavy metals in the body or may be they get regular body scans and then get Re-gen to repair the damage.

Return to Honorverse