Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: edgeworthy and 86 guests

CoG ********SPOILERS*********** and review and rant...

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: CoG ********SPOILERS*********** and review and rant...
Post by Zefram   » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:44 am

Zefram
Midshipman

Is this me, or the last 3 Honorverse books (ie RT, SoF, and CoG) had at least 3 repeating chapters, I mean whole chapters copy/paste? Is this done purposely as an experiment in writing or just a case of trying to inflate page count?
Post by Duckk   » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:50 am

Duckk
Site Admin

If you aren't like us who get the books the moment they come out, or are a new reader who isn't familiar with publication order, then having those scenes serve as an important way to keep the reader up to date on events.
-------------------------
Shields at 50%, taunting at 100%! - Tom Pope
Post by Hutch   » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:50 am

Hutch
Vice Admiral

Zefram wrote:Is this me, or the last 3 Honorverse books (ie ART, SoF, and CoG) had at least 3 repeating chapters, I mean whole chapters copy/paste? Is this done purposely as an experiment in writing or just a case of trying to inflate page count?

It's not just you.

I think RFC will argue they are there to establish continuity since the three books cover approximately the same time-frame of only a few months, and the 'cloned' chapters help keep the order of which things are happening 'in frame'.

But probably it's just padding... :evil:

IMHO as always..YMMV
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by crewdude48   » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:22 pm

crewdude48
Commodore

Hutch wrote:
Zefram wrote:Is this me, or the last 3 Honorverse books (ie ART, SoF, and CoG) had at least 3 repeating chapters, I mean whole chapters copy/paste? Is this done purposely as an experiment in writing or just a case of trying to inflate page count?

It's not just you.

I think RFC will argue they are there to establish continuity since the three books cover approximately the same time-frame of only a few months, and the 'cloned' chapters help keep the order of which things are happening 'in frame'.

But probably it's just padding... :evil:

IMHO as always..YMMV

I don't think it is,"just padding." On the other hand, and with all due respect to Mr. Weber, it was much better done when the second time through it was from a different viewpoint. As an example, the battle where Mike was captured by the peeps. First time from Honor, second time from Mike.

As a side note, I feel that Been should add a month or so between the release of the E-ARC and the actual novel, and set up some place where the best proofreaders in the world, us the fans, could send in our corrections. How many places can you find people willing to pay $15 for the privalage of proofreading. And fans of the series would find errors that a normal proofreader would miss.
Post by Zefram   » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:51 pm

Zefram
Midshipman

I wouldn't mind it so much if it was retelling from a different POV or a short summary of same chapter in different word (ie "he" remembered" what "she" told him then about "this" and "that" etc etc) just to keep readers in the know, its been called redundency for some writers and padding for others.
But what really surprised me is that chapters were repeated, just completely copy/pasted, the same chapter, word for word, in full, again and again.
Why would David do it? Its actually the first time I've seen this in book series. (Saw that in TV series and Japanese Anime) but never before in book series.
Post by Brigade XO   » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:08 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

If they are to recover the same ground, I would appreciate it from the points of view of 1)people not directly involved but dealing with reports and other fallout or 2) some character (major or minor) who was involved -just not in the same command deck- as they struggle to deal with what happened or the result.

Having Firebrand sorting out what happened at Mobius and some of the other systems plus changes moving in his plans would help. The report of the Destroyer Commander at Saltash about the present conditon of the SLN forces in that system and capabilities of the Manties AND the fallout on planet with the political meltdown would be intersting.

Showing one or more of the actually independent systems starting to talk with at least Manticore about trade agreements and protection for commerce (because they will have to be dealing with FF, the largest pirate fleet in the known universe)
Post by Jonathan_S   » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:19 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Zefram wrote:I wouldn't mind it so much if it was retelling from a different POV or a short summary of same chapter in different word (ie "he" remembered" what "she" told him then about "this" and "that" etc etc) just to keep readers in the know, its been called redundency for some writers and padding for others.
But what really surprised me is that chapters were repeated, just completely copy/pasted, the same chapter, word for word, in full, again and again.
Why would David do it? Its actually the first time I've seen this in book series. (Saw that in TV series and Japanese Anime) but never before in book series.

Count me as another who would prefer a second viewpoint on a repeated event.

But that is harder to pull off and keep everything consistent. God knows people here (myself included) at times will scrutinize the heck out of minor differences in retelling an event (or not so minor ones; like when Admiral Chin's DNs somehow became SDs between SVW and FoD).

I can see the temptation to just lift the text wholesale, to address the need of keeping readers in sync, and focus all the effort on working with the new (interesting) material to move the story along.

Still, just because I can see it doesn't mean I wouldn't prefer to have that second viewpoint. But if it was a choice between some cut and paste chapters and waiting a few extra months for my next fix of the Honorverse... That's a tough one.
Post by KNick   » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:23 pm

KNick
Admiral

I can just see Tom And Pat discussing Mike's actions and what deployment changes they need to make in light of her possible or probable future actions. Or Honor, Elizabeth and Eloise talking about how what is happening in the Meyers Sector could affect Anton and Victor's mission.

Interesting new material, recap and infodump all rolled into one.
_

Try to take a fisherman's fish and you will be tomorrows bait!!!
Post by kzt   » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:52 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

KNick wrote:I can just see Tom And Pat discussing Mike's actions and what deployment changes they need to make in light of her possible or probable future actions. Or Honor, Elizabeth and Eloise talking about how what is happening in the Meyers Sector could affect Anton and Victor's mission.

Perhaps. It would be nice to see something like that.

I like the book, I don't regret either the time or money spent on it, but it has pretty obvious defects in multiple areas.
Post by Dca   » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:11 pm

Dca
Lieutenant Commander

DW explained why he was repeating certain chapters in a preface to one of the books ... Said the volume was small and it helped with continuity, or that's what I recall. Whether you buy that is your own choice. I'm happy enough to get the darn stories I wasn't going to pick this bone.

Return to Honorverse