Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 99 guests

CoG ********SPOILERS*********** and review and rant...

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: CoG ********SPOILERS*********** and review and rant...
Post by emeye   » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:27 am

emeye
Commander

munroburton wrote:
niethil wrote:The Mesans have no sense of humor. Genetic Advancement and Uplift League is like saying twice the same thing. Why couldn't they call it the Genetic Oversight and Uplift League ? No repetition ... and a nice acronym.

They could also have called it the Genetic Oversight and Advancement League. The Gauls then become goalkeepers or goalies.

I think the OP wanted to say Genetic Humanitarian Oversight and Uplift League.

At least, that is how my dictionary spells ghouls.
Post by thinkstoomuch   » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:03 am

thinkstoomuch
Admiral

It read much better the second time. Bought the eARC and read it then the offficial release. I was putting it off because three of the other monthly bundles were much more interesting because of my initial read. But once I started I read the whole thing through with minimal breaks.

Which is odd for me. I am not saying that it is an awesome book or anything just reads better the second time through, in my eyes.

Not going to read it again for a while unlike most Honorverse books which generally get read 3+ times in the first year and then fairly regularly as time goes on.

Editing was something I knew was going to suck going in due to the deadline issues others have mentioned and the reasons for.

All things considered the money was well spent, just not as well spent as the other titles in the series. <shrug>

Enjoy,
T2M

wholf359 wrote:While I found the book interesting I also found it a very tough read and very disjointed. I had trouble following the many jumps in the plots and subplots that seemed to be dropped quickly.
Alas it is the very first Honor book I have no interest in re-reading, as I have all the others several times. I am not sad I bought it however.
-----------------------
Q: “How can something be worth more than it costs? Isn’t everything ‘worth’ what it costs?”
A: “No. That’s just the price. ...
Christopher Anvil from Top Line in "War Games"
Post by Northstar   » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:25 pm

Northstar
Rear Admiral

emeye wrote:
I think the OP wanted to say Genetic Humanitarian Oversight and Uplift League.

Ooh I do like this. :twisted:
Post by niethil   » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:15 pm

niethil
Commander

emeye wrote:I think the OP wanted to say Genetic Humanitarian Oversight and Uplift League.

I couldn't find anything good for the "H" and whatever I tried it messed up the rythm so I went for the phonetic similitude. But now that I think about it, it wouldn't be pronounced the same in english, would it ? What did the poet write again :

Dearest creature in creation
Studying English pronunciation,
I will teach you in my verse
Sounds like corpse, corps, horse and worse
I will keep you, Susy, busy,
Make your head with heat grow dizzy.
Tear in eye your dress you'll tear,
So shall I! Oh, hear my prayer,
Pray, console your loving poet,
Make my coat look new, dear, sew it!
Just compare heart, beard and heard,
Dies and diet, lord and word,
Sword and sward, retain and Britain.
(Mind the latter, how it's written).

And there are many more where it comes from

But I stand by my first opinion : "Gaul" doesn't give off the right feeling, those guys need something more creepy as a name.
-------------
'Oh, oh' he said in English. Evidently, he had completely mastered that language.
Post by kzt   » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:34 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

I posted this on the Bar too, but what the heck.

The approach used to assault the second building seemed kind of crazy. (The first WAS totally nuts, but it was run by an overconfident idiot.)

If I was going to assault this ultra difficult site (which you are perfectly willing to destroy) wouldn't it make sense to do things like make use of your tanks with plasma cannons? Like grab a platoon and use them to create nice big openings, then expand these to corridors punched all the way through the building? This process will also tend to remove any mines or other such obstacles. And if you take out a critical structural member, well too bad.

Even the standard light anti-aircraft missile should do quite a number on the building, considering that it's an impeller drive, which means that if you fire it down a corridor or through an open window the missile wedge destroys everything around the opening, then the missile body slams into the wall at the end at mach 12.

You also normally clear from the top down, which they should be perfectly capable of doing since they kind of had total air superiority. Once you hold the top few floors you can expose the elevator shafts into the depths of the building and also have the option of just blowing through the floors to take it one at a time. Or fire small impeller missiles down the elevator shafts. A 20 meter wide wedge should produce a nice clean hole, remove the doors, expose the floors and also take care of anyone planning to ambush your battle armor clad assault team that follows this up.
Post by wastedfly   » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:17 am

wastedfly
Commodore

Rationality and plot need not coincide

Common man!

Power of plot

<< Still waiting for RMN to reinvent the power cord for their pods... >>

kzt wrote:I posted this on the Bar too, but what the heck.

The approach used to assault the second building seemed kind of crazy. (The first WAS totally nuts, but it was run by an overconfident idiot.)

If I was going to assault this ultra difficult site (which you are perfectly willing to destroy) wouldn't it make sense to do things like make use of your tanks with plasma cannons? Like grab a platoon and use them to create nice big openings, then expand these to corridors punched all the way through the building? This process will also tend to remove any mines or other such obstacles. And if you take out a critical structural member, well too bad.

Even the standard light anti-aircraft missile should do quite a number on the building, considering that it's an impeller drive, which means that if you fire it down a corridor or through an open window the missile wedge destroys everything around the opening, then the missile body slams into the wall at the end at mach 12.

You also normally clear from the top down, which they should be perfectly capable of doing since they kind of had total air superiority. Once you hold the top few floors you can expose the elevator shafts into the depths of the building and also have the option of just blowing through the floors to take it one at a time. Or fire small impeller missiles down the elevator shafts. A 20 meter wide wedge should produce a nice clean hole, remove the doors, expose the floors and also take care of anyone planning to ambush your battle armor clad assault team that follows this up.
Post by Ensign Re-read   » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:01 am

Ensign Re-read
Commodore

SIDE TOPIC:

-- CLIP --

I gave up on Baen's Bar a long time ago, because the connection seemed to behave like a very slow modem connection (not a modem, but a SLOW modem). Plus, the whole structure of the place seemed non-intuitive.

Have things been fixed over there, or is it still just as bad as years gone by?

ERR
=====
The Celestia "addon" for the Planet Safehold as well as the Kau-zhi and Manticore A-B star systems, are at URL:
http://www.lepp.cornell.edu/~seb/celestia/weber/.
=====
http://www.flickr.com/photos/68506297@N ... 740128635/
=====
Post by kzt   » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:27 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Ensign Re-read wrote:SIDE TOPIC:

-- CLIP --

I gave up on Baen's Bar a long time ago, because the connection seemed to behave like a very slow modem connection (not a modem, but a SLOW modem). Plus, the whole structure of the place seemed non-intuitive.

ERR

They are on like the 7th different code rev. It is a lot better than it was.
Post by Howard T. Map-addict   » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:48 pm

Howard T. Map-addict
Rear Admiral

Thank you, Niethil, verry much.

BTWay, does your name rhyme with Nyquill?

HTM

niethil wrote:
I couldn't find anything good for the "H" and whatever I tried it messed up the rythm so I went for the phonetic similitude. But now that I think about it, it wouldn't be pronounced the same in english, would it ? What did the poet write again :

Dearest creature in creation
Studying English pronunciation,
I will teach you in my verse
Sounds like corpse, corps, horse and worse
I will keep you, Susy, busy,
Make your head with heat grow dizzy.
Tear in eye your dress you'll tear,
So shall I! Oh, hear my prayer,
Pray, console your loving poet,
Make my coat look new, dear, sew it!
Just compare heart, beard and heard,
Dies and diet, lord and word,
Sword and sward, retain and Britain.
(Mind the latter, how it's written).

And there are many more where it comes from
[snip - htm]
Post by mark   » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:51 pm

mark
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Ensign Re-read wrote:SIDE TOPIC:

ERR

I wouldn't know what the site looks like, but I've been reading the bar for several years via NNTP, and that works just fine for me.

Return to Honorverse