Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

Astrology and the Honorverse

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Astrology and the Honorverse
Post by cthia   » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:25 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 11274
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:10 pm

Hutch wrote:
cthia wrote:Except Elizabeth, she seems to be Taurean for sure!


Nah...Elizabeth NEVER takes any Bull--rather, she grabs the Bull by the horns, wrestles it to the ground and beats it into submission.

Elizabeth is a Manticore-even if there is no sign for that in Astrology as we know it...

:lol:
I yield to your better judgement.

This is my post from the Cupid thread
I bet a softdrink that Elizabeth had or has a tatt of the family crest. Where that tatt may live I wouldn't venture to speculate. She has too many resources to hunt me down.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Top
Re: Astrology and the Honorverse
Post by MAD-4A   » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:04 am

MAD-4A
Captain of the List

Posts: 705
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:48 pm
Location: Texas

crewdude48 wrote:...I'm an Aquarius, and frankly, I don't think it holds water.
lol - same here.
Top
Re: Astrology and the Honorverse
Post by Tenshinai   » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:08 am

Tenshinai
Admiral

Posts: 2893
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:34 pm
Location: Sweden

Many of you do not believe in the silly practice of steering one's life by the stars.
I agree with you, wholeheartedly.


Very much so.

Annoyingly though, i have found that there is a definite streak of similarity between people born at similar times, so i have it as a longstanding project to either dismiss or confirm as well as figure out what the connection is.

So, to further that research, now that it came up, i would like to ask anyone in the southern hemisphere that knows anyone with red hair ( stopsign bright red or dark red, not orange red ) wether those were born in December/January or not.

My current primary working theory is that seasonal effects+epigenetics would be a very realistic answer.


Anyway, other things that have eroded my utter disbelief of personality prediction based on birthdate?

Well i´ve known 2 persons in my life that could get 9/10 correct on people´s sign after just speaking with them ~5 minutes, with zero knowledge of birth date. That´s to the point where it gets creepy accurate.

Steady streams of similarities between some people sharing a sign(some, NOT all), and the mostly absence of such otherwise...

And something that surprised me, i found that it was surprisingly common in the anime industry to use starsigns as the basis for character personality, or picking birthdate based on personality...

And then looked at that to compare with real world people, before checking the fake character birthdate, and found that there were far more common traits by sign than there should be. And this from fictional characters compared to real people.

And funny thing, the one character that i ever found the most like myself, when i checked the bio, i find a birthdate identical to my own. :mrgreen:

And so on...

In the end i consider it a troublesome matter, logic says there´s far too many coincedences, while my cynical skepticism says it´s bollocks.

So, do i believe in astrology? Not a chance.
Might there be something underlying that is the basis for astrology? Maybe.


Anyone care to give a go at Honor's possible sign?

Aries or Virgo. If she was more of a socialite(which might be hidden to readers) i would add Libra.
Top
Re: Astrology and the Honorverse
Post by cthia   » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:33 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 11274
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:10 pm

Tenshinai wrote:
Many of you do not believe in the silly practice of steering one's life by the stars.
I agree with you, wholeheartedly.


Very much so.

Annoyingly though, i have found that there is a definite streak of similarity between people born at similar times, so i have it as a longstanding project to either dismiss or confirm as well as figure out what the connection is.

So, to further that research, now that it came up, i would like to ask anyone in the southern hemisphere that knows anyone with red hair ( stopsign bright red or dark red, not orange red ) wether those were born in December/January or not.



Anyone care to give a go at Honor's possible sign?

Aries or Virgo. If she was more of a socialite(which might be hidden to readers) i would add Libra.


Oh man did you have to bring up red heads? Red heads are hot!
I never knew any with stop sign red hair though I've come across quite a few. I dated many of the other types. The last one I dated I didn't quite know what her natural color was. It isn't that she colored it. It was that it changed, drastically with the seasons. In the summer she was blonde. In the winter she was red. The hidden hair on her body was almost half and half! One side red, the other blonde. Weird. But she was drop-dead gorgeous. And she was born Jan 1!
Virgo
August 23 - September 22

Virgo is the sixth sign of the zodiac, to be exact, and that's the way Virgos like it: exacting. Those born under this sign are forever the butt of jokes for being so picky and critical (and they can be), but their 'attention to detail' is for a reason: to help others. Virgos, more than any other sign, were born to serve, and it gives them great joy. They are also tailor-made for the job, since they are industrious, methodical and efficient. The sense of duty borne by these folks is considerable, and it ensures that they will always work for the greater good.

Virgo is represented by the Virgin, although this association should not be taken literally. Rather, Virgos tend to take on some of the qualities of a Virgin, things like modesty and humanity. Some might consider them repressed, although Virgins would argue that it's a noble quality, as opposed to a negative one. Most of all, Virgos enjoy indulging their practical and logical side and poring over their projects to the nth degree. To say these folks are good at fact-finding almost understates the case, since Virgos revel in their exacting (some would argue pedantic) behavior and are a whiz with minutiae. Virgins are an asset in the workplace as they can be counted on to get things right the first time, every time -- and no detail will be overlooked. They are also balanced and fair in their assessments in keeping with the Mutable Quality assigned to this sign.

Libra
September 23 - October 22

Libra is the seventh sign of the zodiac, and itÕs at this point in the zodiac that we start to see a shift. While the first six signs of the zodiac focus on the individual, the last six focus on the individual's contact with others and with the world. Libras are first and foremost focused on others and how they relate to them. We can call this the sign of Partnership with a capital 'P' because these folks do not want to be alone! For a Libra, everything is better if it's done as a pair. Libras are good when paired up, too, since they epitomize balance, harmony and a sense of fair play. While they are true team players at work, their favorite partnership is at home: marriage. Libras feel most complete when they are coupled up with their lover, forever.

It's the Scales that symbolize Libra, and just like that balancing mechanism wants to stay even, Libras want to be on an even keel. Think of the Scales of Justice and how they work at striking the right balance. Likewise, Libras are objective, just and want to do what's best for everyone. It's possible, though, that this penchant for fairness is for a different reason: Libras abhor conflict. The scales study every possible angle in the hopes of achieving peace and harmony, so much so that others may see them as fickle and indecisive. If that's what it takes to avoid a confrontation, that's fine with the Scales. The Libra-born are keen strategists, organizing groups with poise and getting the job done (in keeping with the Cardinal Quality assigned to this sign). Further, you can expect the Scales to be companionable, sociable folks.


I agree with your possible choices for Honor. IMHO Virgo and Libra are neck and neck for her, with a slight lead going to Libra. The keen strategist part seals the deal for me.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Top
Re: Astrology and the Honorverse
Post by Tenshinai   » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:02 pm

Tenshinai
Admiral

Posts: 2893
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:34 pm
Location: Sweden

cthia wrote:
Oh man did you have to bring up red heads? Red heads are hot!
I never knew any with stop sign red hair though I've come across quite a few. I dated many of the other types. The last one I dated I didn't quite know what her natural color was. It isn't that she colored it. It was that it changed, drastically with the seasons. In the summer she was blonde. In the winter she was red. The hidden hair on her body was almost half and half! One side red, the other blonde. Weird. But she was drop-dead gorgeous. And she was born Jan 1!


:)

And was she born on northern or southern hemisphere?

And btw, about hair colour changing with seasons, it´s uncommon but not truly rare, i do that myself.

I agree with your possible choices for Honor. IMHO Virgo and Libra are neck and neck for her, with a slight lead going to Libra. The keen strategist part seals the deal for me.


Mmm, at least i don´t think i can come up with a better suggestion than those 2 and Aries(which is where you can find a lot of natural leaders).
Top
Re: Astrology and the Honorverse
Post by cthia   » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:16 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 11274
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:10 pm

Tenshinai wrote:
cthia wrote:
Oh man did you have to bring up red heads? Red heads are hot!
I never knew any with stop sign red hair though I've come across quite a few. I dated many of the other types. The last one I dated I didn't quite know what her natural color was. It isn't that she colored it. It was that it changed, drastically with the seasons. In the summer she was blonde. In the winter she was red. The hidden hair on her body was almost half and half! One side red, the other blonde. Weird. But she was drop-dead gorgeous. And she was born Jan 1!


:)

And was she born on northern or southern hemisphere?

And btw, about hair colour changing with seasons, it´s uncommon but not truly rare, i do that myself.

I agree with your possible choices for Honor. IMHO Virgo and Libra are neck and neck for her, with a slight lead going to Libra. The keen strategist part seals the deal for me.


Mmm, at least i don´t think i can come up with a better suggestion than those 2 and Aries(which is where you can find a lot of natural leaders).


Northern Hemisphere that is North Carolina.
She also had the most beautiful freckles that had an always-on makeup effect. Simply delightful, with a rare shade of blue eyes that changed with light sources. Her eyes looked fake, like she was wearing contacts. People always thought she was wearing contacts and many refused to believe she wasn't. Her eyes, the hair, the freckles...mesmerizimg.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Top
Re: Astrology and the Honorverse
Post by Tenshinai   » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:02 pm

Tenshinai
Admiral

Posts: 2893
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:34 pm
Location: Sweden

Her eyes, the hair, the freckles...mesmerizimg.

Apparently. :mrgreen:

Northern Hemisphere that is North Carolina.

Thank you. That´s nice, one more going neatly inline with previous observations.

I just wish it was easier getting some yay or nay from southern hemisphere, but simply too few with red hair there overall.
Top
Re: Astrology and the Honorverse
Post by Borealis   » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:29 pm

Borealis
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:55 pm
Location: Anchorage, AK

cthia wrote:
I agree with your possible choices for Honor. IMHO Virgo and Libra are neck and neck for her, with a slight lead going to Libra. The keen strategist part seals the deal for me.


Actually, in AAC Elizabeth tells us the months Honor, Hamish, and Emily were born in.

"I checked," Elizabeth said. "Honor, you were born in October, old-style. Hamish, you were born in March, and Emily was born in August. That makes your birthstones opal, jade, and sardonyx. So I had these made for you. They aren't quite Grayson, and they aren't quite Manticoran, just as the three of you no longer belong to just one of us."


According to the Honorverse wiki, Honor was born October 1, so that would definitely make her a Libra. Hamish doesn't have a specific date, so depending on when in March he would be a Pisces or an Aries. Emily also doesn't have a specific date so would be either a Leo or a Virgo.
Top
Re: Astrology and the Honorverse
Post by kenl511   » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:37 pm

kenl511
Captain (Junior Grade)

Posts: 353
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:01 am

Hutch wrote:
cthia wrote:Except Elizabeth, she seems to be Taurean for sure!


Nah...Elizabeth NEVER takes any Bull--rather, she grabs the Bull by the horns, wrestles it to the ground and beats it into submission.

Elizabeth is a Manticore-even if there is no sign for that in Astrology as we know it...

While I like the idea of Elizabeth as a Taurus, I think of her as a Leo. One who learned early the price of loyalty and love is to have people rip out pieces of your heart and soul for their own selfish reasons.

Otherwise, She is Juggernaut!
Top
Re: Astrology and the Honorverse
Post by kenl511   » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:46 pm

kenl511
Captain (Junior Grade)

Posts: 353
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:01 am

By Temperament, I would say Honor is a Scorpio. The consuming temper which has to be bound by tight, internal controls. The intuitive nature of her thought.
Top

Return to Honorverse