Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Casus Belli, Google [Bot], tlb and 145 guests

Astrology and the Honorverse

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Astrology and the Honorverse
Post by namelessfly   » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:31 pm

namelessfly

Cows, with Guns.

Jonathan_S wrote:
cthia wrote:Many of you do not believe in the silly practice of steering one's life by the stars.
I agree with you, wholeheartedly.

[snip]
And what of the Earth sign of Taurus the bull. Are there even bulls in the Honorverse? Probably not natively.
As someone who doesn't pay attention to astrology I'm going to focus on one tiny little extraneous aside you made and let others tackle the headaches of non-applicable signs. :D

I don't know if there are bulls, or cattle, on any of the three Manticorans system planets. But there almost certainly are in the Honorverse; even in those parts beyond earth itself ;) (though off earth they'd be imports, not native).

After all Montana is known for raising beef. While its possible that artificial insemination and sex selection could keep their herds 100% cows (female) that seems unlikely. I suspect there are plenty of bulls on Montana, even if most of them get turned into veal fairly early.

For that matter wasn't Grayson raising cattle in some of their orbital farms?

So yes bulls should be fairly well known in the Honorverse.
Post by JohnRoth   » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:35 am

JohnRoth
Admiral

cthia wrote:
JohnRoth wrote:
You've gotten the background on Platonism, Neoplatonism, a dozen other Classical Greek philosophers, and learned that the reason the Greeks restricted themselves to straight lines and circles in their geometry was because they were perfect and hence as close to God as they were going to get?

I'd have loved to sit in on those discussions. Without that, all you know is a pale shadow of the art, and anyone who argues against it without knowing the background is simply displaying their ignorance. Not that most professional astrologers know the intellectual history of the art.

Not that it has much to do with whether or not it works; I just dislike people pontificating from a smug position of unrecognized ignorance.

From someone who could have become a professional astrologer if I'd been willing to compromise a few principles, I'd advise either forgetting the sun sign junk or learn some real astrology. A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

Hey, I'm with you that I don't know a damn thing about astrology! I hope I didn't imply that I did.

The gist of my knowledge begins and ends with knowing my own sign and the signs I am supposed to be compatible with.

The why and the how, completely escapes me!

My fiancee doesn't know much about it either.
She just hates that it says we're not supposed to be compatible!

I am sure you know much...so show us some, and tell me what some of the characters may be. I sure can't!

Except Elizabeth, she seems to be Taurean for sure!

I think I said why I wouldn't, but I suppose it needs a bit more explication. While it's possible to transfer part of the framework (signs and houses), it isn't possible to transfer the rest of the framework (exact locations of stars and the mythic framework behind the constellations). Even if you could, they'll just sit there staring at you until you insert the actual drivers: the sun, planets and moons. We don't know enough about any of these to draw a horoscope for any of the characters, nor do we know enough about the planetary symbology. Neither of these can, even in principle, be determined until you're on the ground there and working with them for some time - meaning at least 50 years or so.

A different, and for me a significantly more cogent reason, is that until recently (late 19th century to be exact - that's recent for an art that was invented in the 2nd or 3rd cent BCE,) astrology didn't render opinions about a person's personality. Why should it? You knew who they were.

Most of that was invented in the late 19th century to keep "Alan Leo" out of jail for fortunetelling, the rest in the 1950s. Prior to that, astrology was always about events, never about personality. The only time people worried about personal compatibility was for marriages, and then astrologers used the same tools they used to divine the success of any other proposed endeavor. I did that for my own marriage. It said: Bad Idea. We went ahead. Result: really bad idea! I'm still recovering fifteen years after the divorce.

Astrology, together with magic and several philosophical schools people are only dimly aware of today (Stoics? Epicurians? who they?,) had a bit to do with spiritual growth. That went underground when Christianity claimed a monopoly on the area and wasn't shy about toasting anyone who disagreed.
Post by TheMonster   » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:23 pm

TheMonster
Rear Admiral

JohnRoth wrote:I think I said why I wouldn't, but I suppose it needs a bit more explication. While it's possible to transfer part of the framework (signs and houses), it isn't possible to transfer the rest of the framework (exact locations of stars and the mythic framework behind the constellations). Even if you could, they'll just sit there staring at you until you insert the actual drivers: the sun, planets and moons.

If the relative positions of our Sun, its planets, and their moons at the exact moment of someone's birth is so important, how would they affect someone born half a light-millenium from it, (on the planet Sphinx orbiting Manticore A), from which those planets' and moons' positions are essentially those of Sol itself? Wouldn't Sphinxian astrology concern itself with the two stars and the other planets and moons of the MBS, perhaps with special emphasis on Perseus and Bellerophon?

I'm thinking of the passage in Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land in which an astrologer is asked to cast a horoscope for Valentine Michael Smith, the first human to be born on Mars. She knows that the planets' apparent motion in the heavens are very much different when viewed from Mars, and that has to affect his horoscope accordingly. Her lack of the mathematical skills to accurately determine the positions of the planets relative to Mars troubles her greatly.

Now I'm going to have to re-read the book for the umpteenth time.
Post by kenl511   » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:48 am

kenl511
Captain (Junior Grade)

Being a Taurus, I've always considered my astrology sign a bunch of bull....
Post by MaxxQ   » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:52 am

MaxxQ
BuNine

namelessfly wrote:Cows, with Guns.

http://youtu.be/FQMbXvn2RNI
Post by crewdude48   » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:17 am

crewdude48
Commodore

I had to look mine up. I'm an Aquarius, and frankly, I don't think it holds water.

kenl511 wrote:Being a Taurus, I've always considered my astrology sign a bunch of bull....
Post by cthia   » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:19 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

kenl511 wrote:Being a Taurus, I've always considered my astrology sign a bunch of bull....

Because you are stubborn and bull-headed and by bull-headed I mean pigheaded and by pigheaded I mean life is one big pas de deux.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by John Prigent   » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:13 am

John Prigent
Captain of the List

Has anyone considered the Small Group of Boring Stars and its place in Discworld astrology?

Cheers

John
Post by Daryl   » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:42 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Casting my mind back to my single days it did seem that girlfriends tended to deliberately try to emulate the characteristics of their star signs. "I'm an Aries so I'm a fire sign and volatile etc".
Load of unscientific rubbish, but then again we Sagittarians are somewhat cynical.
Post by Hutch   » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:57 am

Hutch
Vice Admiral

cthia wrote:Except Elizabeth, she seems to be Taurean for sure!

Nah...Elizabeth NEVER takes any Bull--rather, she grabs the Bull by the horns, wrestles it to the ground and beats it into submission.

Elizabeth is a Manticore-even if there is no sign for that in Astrology as we know it...
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5

Return to Honorverse