Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], ThinksMarkedly and 38 guests

Killer Terminii?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Killer Terminii?
Post by kzt   » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:03 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

No, freighters have the hyperdrive along a spine that runs at top of the cargo bay, to maximize usable space and simplify loading and unloading.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:36 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:No, freighters have the hyperdrive along a spine that runs at top of the cargo bay, to maximize usable space and simplify loading and unloading.
At least some freighters; some Solly designs. From what I recall most Manticoran freighters accept the tradeoffs involved in keeping their guts (hyper generator, fusion plant, life support, etc) near their centerline and less exposed to fire from people like pirates.

But since we know that a ship can 'oversize' their hyperdrive and bring stuff well away from the ship with them into hyper it's not surprising that it doesn't need to be mounted dead center.

After all if you've got a 200 meter wide ship, and a generator that can take everything within a few km radius around the it into hyper, the generator doesn't really need to be centerline. :D
(And the two Peep ships in HotQ; "their generators were powerful enough to extend their translation fields over six kilometers beyond their own hulls if he redlined them.")
Post by kzt   » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:10 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

An 8MT freighter was the example used by Bu9 at Honorcon. They put the hyperdrive and reactor on the top of the cargo bay, that allowed them to fill the cargo bay with a dozen+ nimitz class aircraft carriers.
Post by TheMonster   » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:31 am

TheMonster
Rear Admiral

kzt wrote:An 8MT freighter was the example used by Bu9 at Honorcon. They put the hyperdrive and reactor on the top of the cargo bay, that allowed them to fill the cargo bay with a dozen+ nimitz class aircraft carriers.
Then putting the hyper drive right above the center boat bay of an SD(P) or CLAC would be pretty easy to do. There would be one unarmored panel to cut out of the way to replace it.

If you're going to displace the hyper drive from dead center, it makes sense to do so "downward" so that it creates a field covering your small craft moving in and out of the boat bay.
Post by Grashtel   » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:40 am

Grashtel
Captain of the List

TheMonster wrote:If you're going to displace the hyper drive from dead center, it makes sense to do so "downward" so that it creates a field covering your small craft moving in and out of the boat bay.

Why? Attempting to deploy small craft while transitioning into/out of hyper or between bands strikes me as an exceedingly bad idea (for the small craft at least) and when not doing so there is no need for them to be inside the hyper generator's field as its only needed for transitions.
Post by SWM   » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:05 am

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Grashtel wrote:
TheMonster wrote:If you're going to displace the hyper drive from dead center, it makes sense to do so "downward" so that it creates a field covering your small craft moving in and out of the boat bay.

Why? Attempting to deploy small craft while transitioning into/out of hyper or between bands strikes me as an exceedingly bad idea (for the small craft at least) and when not doing so there is no need for them to be inside the hyper generator's field as its only needed for transitions.

I believe the idea was to put the hyperdrive there in new designs (along with extra space around them) so that when the streak drive was developed it would be easy to retrofit the drive into the space without cutting through armor.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by JohnRoth   » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:44 am

JohnRoth
Admiral

NOTE - reordered to avoid the limit on embedding.

Grashtel wrote:Why? Attempting to deploy small craft while transitioning into/out of hyper or between bands strikes me as an exceedingly bad idea (for the small craft at least) and when not doing so there is no need for them to be inside the hyper generator's field as its only needed for transitions.

SWM wrote:I believe the idea was to put the hyperdrive there in new designs (along with extra space around them) so that when the streak drive was developed it would be easy to retrofit the drive into the space without cutting through armor.

Nobody outside of the MAlign knew of the Streak Drive until recently, and I'm pretty sure nobody outside of the MAlign knows how big it is even now. Therefore they couldn't be planning for it.
Post by JohnRoth   » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:45 am

JohnRoth
Admiral

Grashtel wrote:

Pods tractored to the hull? Haven's "donkeys?"
Post by SWM   » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:50 am

SWM
Fleet Admiral

JohnRoth wrote:
SWM wrote:I believe the idea was to put the hyperdrive there in new designs (along with extra space around them) so that when the streak drive was developed it would be easy to retrofit the drive into the space without cutting through armor.

Nobody outside of the MAlign knew of the Streak Drive until recently, and I'm pretty sure nobody outside of the MAlign knows how big it is even now. Therefore they couldn't be planning for it.

But the discussion is about new designs that Sonja and Sharon could develop at Bolthole. Naturally, it is dependent on knowing the approximate size of the streak drive, but it is not dependent on actually knowing how to build it. We don't know for sure whether Simoes knows the size of the streak drive, but he might, even if he can't tell them how to build it. People were suggesting that the new designs could be built in the expectation that eventually they could be retrofitted with the streak drive, after the Alliance developed it. Much as the Mars class was designed in the hope that Haven could eventually retrofit improved inertial compensators, after Haven developed them.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by TheMonster   » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:48 am

TheMonster
Rear Admiral

Grashtel wrote:

Because it gives you some room for error if you need to change bands in a hurry and you don't have those small craft quite thoroughly docked, but they are well inside the hyper field, maneuvering on thrusters.

Return to Honorverse