Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Theemile and 28 guests

First Technical Mission To Bolthole

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: First Technical Mission To Bolthole
Post by kzt   » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:22 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:My niece is considering much longer legged conventional missiles as those supplied by Technodyne, significantly upgraded.

She says that the MAlign are saving the better missiles for themselves!

No, we were told the MAN hadn't yet gotten true multi-drive missiles to work as of a book or two ago. But all it takes is a guy with a taste for the good life and more access that he should have...
Post by Jonathan_S   » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:02 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:
cthia wrote:My niece is considering much longer legged conventional missiles as those supplied by Technodyne, significantly upgraded.

She says that the MAlign are saving the better missiles for themselves!

No, we were told the MAN hadn't yet gotten true multi-drive missiles to work as of a book or two ago. But all it takes is a guy with a taste for the good life and more access that he should have...
Do you happen to remember the context we got that information in? (Because I don't and it's too vague to be easy to search for :))

I'm trying to remember it it was a really authoritative source (like from one of the Detwiller clan) or if it was info that might have been edited before distribution (like a MAN officer or worse a Mesan patsy in the SLN)
Post by kzt   » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:12 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:I'm trying to remember it it was a really authoritative source (like from one of the Detwiller clan) or if it was info that might have been edited before distribution (like a MAN officer or worse a Mesan patsy in the SLN)

I think it was authoritative.
Post by TheMonster   » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:13 pm

TheMonster
Rear Admiral

Theemile wrote:My personal feeling on why the Cataphracts have been seen all over the place is to hide their true origin - that way when the Renasaince Factor's conventional fleets are equipped with them, there is no smoking gun linking the Spider attacks with the RF - everyone would think they both must had access to SLN military hardware, pure and simple, but no more.
That definitely fits into the MAlign's modus operandi of the Onion. They never do anything directly; they have to build up layers of deception, misdirection, obfuscation, and confusion, so that enemies never really know what they're really up to. It is so ingrained in them to always lay false trails that they have become incapable of doing much in a straightforward manner.

And one day, I hope to see explicitly how their propensity for duplicity, adding complexity beyond necessity, creates the opportunity for Murph(it)y to bring calamity, with intensity, upon them.
Post by cthia   » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:09 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

TheMonster wrote:
Theemile wrote:My personal feeling on why the Cataphracts have been seen all over the place is to hide their true origin - that way when the Renasaince Factor's conventional fleets are equipped with them, there is no smoking gun linking the Spider attacks with the RF - everyone would think they both must had access to SLN military hardware, pure and simple, but no more.
That definitely fits into the MAlign's modus operandi of the Onion. They never do anything directly; they have to build up layers of deception, misdirection, obfuscation, and confusion, so that enemies never really know what they're really up to. It is so ingrained in them to always lay false trails that they have become incapable of doing much in a straightforward manner.

And one day, I hope to see explicitly how their propensity for duplicity, adding complexity beyond necessity, creates the opportunity for Murph(it)y to bring calamity, with intensity, upon them.

Damn Monster...funny...funny! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Can't stop laughing! :lol:

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Theemile   » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:33 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
TheMonster wrote:

Damn Monster...funny...funny! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Can't stop laughing! :lol:

Now that I'm reading this, I'm seeing a MAN space ship, with every compartment mislabeled in some confusing, non-intuitive, bizarre manner, named such merely because of the ingrained culture of misdirection, that just incidentially will confuse the heck out of any non-initiated individual who happens to come aboard.

"Sir, we're still trying to get to Engineering. We started on deck 3 on the Starboard side - now it appears we are on the Lido deck, Chartruse Sector, facing something called the "Red Light" district, with a hatch labeled "Wednesday" on my right...Heck, I don't even know if we are going Fore or Aft anymore..."
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Amaroq   » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:49 pm

Amaroq
Captain of the List

kzt wrote:
Jonathan_S wrote:I'm trying to remember it it was a really authoritative source (like from one of the Detwiller clan) or if it was info that might have been edited before distribution (like a MAN officer or worse a Mesan patsy in the SLN)

I think it was authoritative.

I believe I found the section of text you were referencing from Torch of Freedom:

Unlike the Solarian League Navy, the Mesan Alignment had no reservations at all about the missile ranges being reported by observers of the renewed conflict between Manticore and the Republic of Haven. They'd not only realized those reports were accurate, but figured out what the Manticorans and Havenites must have done to produce them.

Unfortunately, deducing what someone else had done wasn't the same thing as figuring out how to do it for oneself. Downsizing missile drive components without reducing their already limited lifetimes still further was a significant technological challenge—one the Alignment was working hard to overcome, but hadn't managed to pull off yet.

So they'd taken another approach as an intermediate step. The Cataphract was a rather basic concept, actually—they'd simply grafted what amounted to an entire counter-missile drive unit onto the end of a standard shipkiller. Coming up with an arrangement which let them cram that much impeller power and a worthwhile laser head into something they could fit onto the end of a standard missile had demanded quite a bit of ingenuity (and not a few basic compromises), but it had been a far easier task than duplicating a full scale multidrive missile would have been.

There were drawbacks, of course; there always were, and especially so in what had to be a compromise solution.

The weapon carried only half as many lasing rods as a standard laser head. Worse, the Cataphract was twenty percent longer than a standard missile of any given weight, which meant it would no longer fit into launch tubes which had been designed to handle the single-drive missile upon which it was based. The Cataphract-C, built around the SLN's Trebuchet capital missile could be fired only out of one of the missile pods the MAN hadn't seen fit to offer Citizen Commodore Luff. The Cataphract-B, based on the Javelin missile intended for the League's battlecruisers and heavy cruisers, could be fired from a standard superdreadnought missile tube, but not by an Indefatigable or a Warlord-C. But Luff's battlecruisers could fire the Cataphract-A, based on the Spatha, the SLN's new-model destroyer and light cruiser shipkiller. His Mars-Cs could have, as well, but only the battlecruisers had been supplied with the new weapon, and even they carried only enough of them for a dozen full broadsides.

Compared to standard missiles of their size, their warheads were light, and the onboard seekers, ECM, and penetration aids which could be stuffed into such a size-restricted terminal bus were limited. But the weapon had a powered range from rest of almost 16.6 million kilometers, nobody had ever even imagined that it might exist

RFC then goes on to list the different Cataphract types. It seems like these are the MAN's first clumsy attempts to duplicate MDMs. I believe it is currently all they have as well seeing as how Filareta was supplied with essentially the same missiles as the ex-StateSec CO during the Battle of Torch even though Filareta's confrontation with the Manties took place much later chronologically.
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.
Post by Amaroq   » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:04 pm

Amaroq
Captain of the List

The idea that the MA doesn't have multidrive missiles and that the Cataphract is their current answer to MDMs is further backed up by some more quotes and snippets of text.

First, Citizen Commodore Luff (the CO of the People's Navy in Exile that carried out the attack on Torch as a Mesan proxy) remarks:

He had to admit that the Cataphracts in his battlecruisers' magazines were better than anything the People's Navy—or State Security—had ever been able to provide him with. They weren't as good as the multidrive missiles the damned Manties had introduced...but they offered a far greater capability than the PNE had ever before possessed, and they could be launched internally, rather than requiring pods.

Secondly, Benjamin Detweiler himself chimes in from ART:

“The same thought had occurred to me,” Benjamin said grimly. As the commander of the Alignment’s navy, he was only too well aware of what the only navies with operational pod-laying ships-of-the-wall and multidrive missiles could do if they were allied instead of shooting at one another.

However he kind of contradicts himself a bit later when talking about the Andermani:

"Get Gustav out of the Sollies’ line of fire and let him take care of us. It’s not like they’re going to need his pod-layers to kick the SLN’s ass! And we just happen to have left the Andies’ support structure completely intact, haven’t we? That mean’s they’ve got plenty of MDMs, and if Gustav comes after us while staying out of the confrontation with the League, do you really think any of our ‘friends’ in Old Chicago’ll do one damned thing to stop him?"

I don't know if the IAN's pod-layers and MDMs aren't fully operational (I thought they were and Benjamin's comments seem to imply that they are) and that's why Benjamin didn't include them in his list of navies alongside the RMN and the RHN with those capabilities or he doesn't consider them as enough of a threat to really worry about yet. Either way, it definitely seems like only the Manties (with Grayson of course), Havenites, and Andermani have MDMs at this time. Although I'm not certain where our Mayan friends are in their buildup and whether or not the MA knows about that...
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.
Post by wholf359   » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:41 pm

wholf359
Commander

I am pretty sure the MA has no clue about the Mayan sector weapons since they have been fanatical about keeping things secret. I expect this to come back and bite the MA hard since the Mayan sector is going to be another safe haven that will compete with the RF during the breakup of the League.
Post by Amaroq   » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:57 pm

Amaroq
Captain of the List

Hmm, that was the one point I wasn't clear on. Considering Roszak screwed their plans up so much I figured the MA might have tried to keep better track of him after the Battle of Torch but I guess they do have a lot on their plate at the moment what with galactic domination and all...

Now, Maya is building SD(P)s, right? Can they build and arm them with MDMs? I thought Erewhon had that technology or the beginnings of it (since that's mainly how the RHN got MDMs) and perhaps shared that info with Maya? I'm a little unclear on the details.

Return to Honorverse