Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], ThinksMarkedly and 106 guests

Future Books? (CoG Spoilers)

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Future Books? (CoG Spoilers)
Post by Randomiser   » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:55 am

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

It does seem a tad ungrateful to be asking this when the ebook for CoG has only just been released, but if DW will write endings like that ... :D

However, is there any info on what the plan and schedule for future books is? Presumably we are finished with the Torch sub-series since Eric Flint isn't going to do any more Honorverse books. Is the Shadow series also finished, since the struggle against the MA has become the main event and the war against the SL is 'just' one wing of that? (Also Talbott Sector action is pretty much tied up and 10th Fleet is now in Mesa) Are we back to one set of books which handles all the strands as needed? What is coming out and when?

Who are the main characters going to be, ongoing? I know this is heresy, but it must be getting harder and harder to write books centring on Honor. She is too senior. The only jobs suitable for her are Fleet Commander, (of a Major fleet) 1st or 2nd Space Lord or Governor of some big chunk of the extended empire. None of which get her very near the exciting stuff - unless you have a major fleet action and there just ain't enough OpForces out there to do one of those every book.
Re: Future Books? (CoG Spoilers)
Post by kaid   » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:28 pm

kaid
Lieutenant Commander

I am guessing that most of the major players from the shadows of saganami series are likely to be the main players in the future main line books. Honor is as has been mentioned to senior for much real hands on for anything short of a huge fleet battle.
Post by Amaroq   » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:49 pm

Amaroq
Captain of the List

I don't think we'll be seeing any more side trilogies. I'm not certain how many more books are planned. Things seem to be moving toward an endgame but unless the pace picks up a lot it will be drawn out through several more books.

All of the threads are together now with only 10th fleet and Victor on Mesa needing to be resolved. We might see more on what the MAlign's next moves are going to be, the Beowulf plebiscite and the League's reaction to it, and what the GA is going to do next. Maybe we'll get some idea on how the Solarian Foursome Who Actually Have a Clue are proceeding on their investigations into Mesa's reach within the SL.
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.
Post by munroburton   » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:54 pm

munroburton
Admiral

Randomiser wrote:Who are the main characters going to be, ongoing? I know this is heresy, but it must be getting harder and harder to write books centring on Honor. She is too senior. The only jobs suitable for her are Fleet Commander, (of a Major fleet) 1st or 2nd Space Lord or Governor of some big chunk of the extended empire. None of which get her very near the exciting stuff - unless you have a major fleet action and there just ain't enough OpForces out there to do one of those every book.

That pretty much happened after her return from Hell, when they jumped her to full Admiral. She might have been relatively junior then, but a lot of senior Admirals were killed during First Manticore.

I suspect she'll still be in the thick of things, as she's essentially the person with the greatest amount of trust from three different heads of states(and their Naval chiefs). Any aggressive advance into Solarian space to follow up on Mike's spearhead will require political decisions to be made quickly and Honor can be relied upon to make decisions in the best interests of everybody concerned when th situation changes beyond instructions from home. She already demonstrated that with her actions on Sidemore station.
Post by Hutch   » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:49 pm

Hutch
Vice Admiral

I've mentioned this before (and I'll keep saying it until you all succumb to my wisdom... 8-) :evil: :twisted: ) but I think the next book will pickup all the loose threads from the last three books (Mike in Mesa, the Beowulf situation, the revolts in the Verge) and run with them, with a few chapters for Roczak and the MAlign stories to progress. This book (and I think it will have to be a long one, ala AAC or the Shadows of Saganami) will collapse the Solarian League, cement the relationship between Haven and Manticore, and clear the stage for the main act of MAlign vs GA, where the action will center for the remaining books.

And Honor? Oh, they're not getting her off the Command deck, but I think we'll see her in more in meetings and planning sessions (ala ART) than in actual Battle. Maybe a bit more on the Home Front (will Alfred Harrington make good on his promise to Nimitz--and maybe at the same time find a way to help Emily walk again?), and I wonder if Honor Harrington going to Old Earth is in the cards--but then, it is well known that I am not playing with a full deck... :shock:

We shall see--eventually....
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by JohnRoth   » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:38 pm

JohnRoth
Admiral

I believe David has said something about wanting to retire when he's 70, which would be in 2022. That gives him 8 more years to wrap up the series.

With Eric Flint not writing any more Torch novels, that branch is effectively closed off, although Erewhon and the Maya Sector are probably still going to be in play, possibly substantially. "Not writing any more Torch novels" doesn't mean he won't contribute the occasional novella to a future anthology, though.

I think we've seen the last of the Talbott Sector as a major focus as well. I think we're going to start to see some action on Darius since the MAlign has moved there.

This looks like a major inflection point in the series. Darius, Mannerheim, Visigoth and what ever happened to Yildun?

The thing I find intriguing is a random symbol on the Illegible Map in a very unlikely place suggesting somethiing even less likely. Probably means nothing, though.
Post by Crown Loyalist   » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:59 pm

Crown Loyalist
Commander

My best guess is we'll have another novel (two at the most) dealing with the end of the Solarian League (Beowulf's secession, Maya's secession, a few major battles between Manticore/Maya/SLN, and the collapse into successor states), then the story will jump forward 10-20 years and change the focus to Honor's kids and the Star Empire of Manticore/Grand Alliance's rivalry and eventual clash with the Renaissance League while the galaxy is still dealing with the fallout of the League's collapse.

The League's collapse is Fall of the Roman Empire grade stuff, it should be fascinating to watch (or just hear about afterwards).
Post by JohnRoth   » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:24 pm

JohnRoth
Admiral

Crown Loyalist wrote:My best guess is we'll have another novel (two at the most) dealing with the end of the Solarian League (Beowulf's secession, Maya's secession, a few major battles between Manticore/Maya/SLN, and the collapse into successor states), then the story will jump forward 10-20 years and change the focus to Honor's kids and the Star Empire of Manticore/Grand Alliance's rivalry and eventual clash with the Renaissance League while the galaxy is still dealing with the fallout of the League's collapse.

The League's collapse is Fall of the Roman Empire grade stuff, it should be fascinating to watch (or just hear about afterwards).

Interesting thought. With Eric out of the picture (at least, as far as writing more novels in the Honorverse goes) RFC might be wondering if it would be possible to get back to the original series plan.

Unfortunately, I don't think it likely; the MAlign on Darius is building those Spider Drive super-dreadnaughts and may very well be contemplating using them for Oyster Bay II.
Post by Randomiser   » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:22 pm

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

JohnRoth wrote:I believe David has said something about wanting to retire when he's 70, which would be in 2022. That gives him 8 more years to wrap up the series.

As I remember it what he said was that by the time he was 70 he would probably need to slow down at least a bit, which is not quite the same as retiring. Hasn't he signed a contract for 5 new volumes in the Bahzellverse relatively recently, on top of everything else? I can't remember where he discussed future plans though so I haven't checked.

The thing I find intriguing is a random symbol on the Illegible Map in a very unlikely place suggesting somethiing even less likely. Probably means nothing, though.

OK I'll bite - what did you maybe, just possibly, spot?
Post by JohnRoth   » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:39 am

JohnRoth
Admiral

Randomiser wrote:
JohnRoth wrote:I believe David has said something about wanting to retire when he's 70, which would be in 2022. That gives him 8 more years to wrap up the series.

As I remember it what he said was that by the time he was 70 he would probably need to slow down at least a bit, which is not quite the same as retiring. Hasn't he signed a contract for 5 new volumes in the Bahzellverse relatively recently, on top of everything else? I can't remember where he discussed future plans though so I haven't checked.

Good to know that, thanks.

Randomiser wrote:
JohnRoth wrote:The thing I find intriguing is a random symbol on the Illegible Map in a very unlikely place suggesting something even less likely. Probably means nothing, though.

OK I'll bite - what did you maybe, just possibly, spot?

Go to the top of the map and locate Matapan - it's the one with the hyperlink headed off to the right.

Now look down and to the left to the next star. That thing next to it (up and to the left) looks like the symbol David used for the terminus of a hyper link, now doesn't it?

Return to Honorverse