Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 61 guests

Ronald class CL

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Ronald class CL
Post by Jonathan_S   » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:28 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

fleadermouse wrote:Do any of you have citations for the "impleller / drive node physics" comments with respect to ship beam vs length. I have not seen this directly addressed. If so please post them. Thanks
Not exactly - it's kind of a deduction based on various things RFC has said over the years.

But here are two quotes that informed by thinking; the first from the appendix to Short Victorious War and the second from a 2004 infodump shooting down variable geometry starships. (I seem to recall more about placement; but I'm not finding them in a quick search. I know there was about about the flexibility of beta node only placement vs alpha nodes; in the context of forts and their hull shape; but I haven't found it yet)

Short Victorious War wrote:The nodes which generated the impeller wedge had to be very specifically located relative to the dimensions of a ship. In general, they had to lie within twelve to fifteen percent of the extreme ends of the vessel and well inside the maximum beam which the wedge allowed.

runsforcelery wrote:Not only that, but each ship's alpha and beta nodes are built to function in a very specific spatial relationship to one another. In other words, nodes are built and installed to produce a specific size and shape of impeller wedge and "sump" to feed the mounting ship's inertial compensator. You don't futz around with those relationships once they're established

[edit] You might also want to look at the old infodump on the Reliant class BC, which includes
runsforcelery wrote: The major difference between ships of the wall and BCs, CAs, and lighter units is that the big boys' hull midbodies tend to have more cylindrical and less flattened cross-sections. Their design parameters emphasize filling out the maximum possible amount of hull volume, whereas the lighter combatants shave volume to save mass and achieve marginal acceleration improvements from a given impeller strength.
Do note that this is well before the great resizing so the lengths mentioned have been reconned and don't match the current cannon as expressed in House of Steel [/edit]

I think there was a length to beam ideal ratio / rule for the node / compensator efficiency; and that's what was driving my statement that you wouldn't make a fat short ship because the node placement shouldn't work (or at least shouldn't work well)
Last edited by Jonathan_S on Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post by Theemile   » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:56 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:
fleadermouse wrote:Do any of you have citations for the "impleller / drive node physics" comments with respect to ship beam vs length. I have not seen this directly addressed. If so please post them. Thanks

The following is a snerk:

SNERK WARNING

In the the Travis Long book, "A Call to Duty", the majority of the ships are pre-grav plate and use rotational personal spaces to provide 1 G for the crew.

There was a comment where a Havenite Captain was describing the design of a ship and discussing how they were playing with the compensator to create maximized acceleration while still fitting in a larger rotational space and were able to lock the rotational arms in specific location to take advantage of a maximized lobe solution they had found.

In short, The geometry can be played with to achieve different shapes of the compensator field BUT at the cost of efficiency. Since the rotational crew spaces where needed then, efficiency had to be lost to create a wider field at the middle of the ship to fit the rotational sectional.

Today's ship geometry is the result of highest discovered efficiency maxima of the compensated field and the requirements of the wedge and nodes.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Rakhmamort   » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:29 am

Rakhmamort
Captain (Junior Grade)

deleted, wrong thread
Last edited by Rakhmamort on Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post by The E   » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:13 am

The E
Admiral

Rakhmamort wrote:Long thread. I read halfway before deciding to simply post my contribution.

"As soon as possible, I will so accuse the Earl in person."
-HH

"She hit him four times before he could fall, then put a fifth bullet right through his head."
-Duke Cromarty

Not a one liner but...

"We failed her, Allen. It's already cost her the man she loved, and it's our fault. My God, if this Kingdom ever owed any of it's subjects justice, it was her and we didn't give it to her."

I think you may have posted this in the wrong thread....
Post by Rakhmamort   » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:33 pm

Rakhmamort
Captain (Junior Grade)

The E wrote:
Rakhmamort wrote:Long thread. I read halfway before deciding to simply post my contribution.

"As soon as possible, I will so accuse the Earl in person."
-HH

"She hit him four times before he could fall, then put a fifth bullet right through his head."
-Duke Cromarty

Not a one liner but...

"We failed her, Allen. It's already cost her the man she loved, and it's our fault. My God, if this Kingdom ever owed any of it's subjects justice, it was her and we didn't give it to her."

I think you may have posted this in the wrong thread....

I believe you are correct. Weird, this is my first post and it had to pass through approval. lol
Post by Duckk   » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:07 am

Duckk
Site Admin

I approved it to get you off the Newly Registered List so you have full posting privileges.
-------------------------
Shields at 50%, taunting at 100%! - Tom Pope

Return to Honorverse