Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 34 guests

tow ships

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
tow ships
Post by arduskaine   » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:46 am

arduskaine
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

I was recently thinking about tow ships and their analogs in the honorverse (an exciting way my mind works).
I would assume something like the tow ship would just be a LAC-sized vessel with much more powerful tractor beams to move ships around in orbit/into station port.
Re: tow ships
Post by Theemile   » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:17 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

arduskaine wrote:I was recently thinking about tow ships and their analogs in the honorverse (an exciting way my mind works).
I would assume something like the tow ship would just be a LAC-sized vessel with much more powerful tractor beams to move ships around in orbit/into station port.

Tugs are mentioned in several places. The Tugs mentioned in ART are i believe BC sized vessels with oversized wedges and many overpowered tractors. They were mentioned as beiong able to handle towing multiple Sag-Cs simultaneously.

I don't think a LAC sized Tug would be vary helpful to anything but other LACs, dispatch boats and FG/DDs.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Dafmeister   » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:24 am

Dafmeister
Commodore

arduskaine wrote:I was recently thinking about tow ships and their analogs in the honorverse (an exciting way my mind works).

I don't think we've had tonnage figures on the tugs used in the Honorverse, although...

SPOILER ALERT IF YOU'VE NOT READ MISSION OF HONOR

... there might have been some figures in the discussion of the tug trying to screen Sphinx from the debris strikes during Oyster Bay.

However, the basic principle is as you've described, a (relatively) small vessel with hugely powerful tractor beams and an overpowered (for its size) wedge.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:12 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Dafmeister wrote:I don't think we've had tonnage figures on the tugs used in the Honorverse, although...

SPOILER ALERT IF YOU'VE NOT READ MISSION OF HONOR
[snip]

However, the basic principle is as you've described, a (relatively) small vessel with hugely powerful tractor beams and an overpowered (for its size) wedge.
I skimmed through MoH and didn't notice any size references for the tugs. <shrug>
Post by Duckk   » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:13 am

Duckk
Site Admin

SftS has a bit more.
-------------------------
Shields at 50%, taunting at 100%! - Tom Pope

Return to Honorverse