Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 150 guests

Ships of the wall

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Ships of the wall
Post by Positroll   » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:41 pm

Positroll
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

KNick wrote:wise words giving perspective

Just to repeat:

Um, maybe we got a slight misunderstanding here?

I read what RFC wrote - which is why I DO NOT want to reuse the ships as such, just a lot of components the breakers will rip out of the SDs. Those components will be put into new hulls for fast freighters. Basically the same technique the Havenites used to build their navy after Buttercup ...

So you will have a class of auxiliaries that will use solly components. While it adds complexity, re-training the crews for them should not be too burdensome compared to other changes in hardware that the RMN had to manage in the last years ... (oh and I'd guess quite some Manty reservists out of work thanks to Laocoon spent their time as civilians on Solly-bult merchy hulls, so these components might be easier to manage for them than say the new 4th generation compensators out of the SKM ...)
Post by JohnRoth   » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:46 pm

JohnRoth
Admiral

Positroll wrote:Um, maybe we got a slight misunderstanding here?

I read what RFC wrote - which is why I don't want to reuse the ships as such, just a lot of components the breakers will rip out of the SDs. Those components will be put into new hulls for fast freighters. Basically the same technique the Havenites used to build their navy after Buttercup ...

That's actually a bit more sensible than some of the other suggestions that have been bandied about. It misses a couple of points, though.

First, the biggest component for getting from point A to point B as fast as possible is the hyper generator. While there's no indication that SL military hyper generators are inferior to anyone else's military hyper generators, there's one big honking exception: the MAlign's Streak Drive, and there's a guy named Simoes, currently headed for Bolthole (I think), who's going to be working on a project to make that available to the GA. In other words, the window where the SL hyper generators would be useful is going to be fairly short, and there is a severe shortage of yard space to do the refits in that same window.

The second component in getting from Point A to Point B is the compensator, and SL military compensators are decidedly inferior, which precludes using them for refitting freighters as fleet train.

These are also not standard GA parts, so the proper care and feeding is going to be somewhat of a mystery.
Post by Positroll   » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:09 pm

Positroll

First, the biggest component for getting from point A to point B as fast as possible is the hyper generator. While there's no indication that SL military hyper generators are inferior to anyone else's military hyper generators, there's one big honking exception: the MAlign's Streak Drive, and there's a guy named Simoes, currently headed for Bolthole (I think), who's going to be working on a project to make that available to the GA. In other words, the window where the SL hyper generators would be useful is going to be fairly short, and there is a severe shortage of yard space to do the refits in that same window.
Streak drives
- are not yet available for the GA
- will be very expensive
I'm not sure whether even the MA will bother installing them on any freighters. Even if that's possible, there still will be lots of jobs auxiliaries without streakdrive can do well - e.g. sitting in orbit as repairships or as LAC bases. They'll usually be on their stations for years - who cares whether they could have gotten there a week earlier? (for fast freighteres going out on offensives with a streak drive equipped fleet as its fleet train things may be different - but that's justa small number of the auxiliaries required in the future ...

The second component in getting from Point A to Point B is the compensator, and SL military compensators are decidedly inferior, which precludes using them for refitting freighters as fleet train.

See above.
Also, Solly SD compensators for 7 million ton SDs should be good enough for e.g. 4 million ton fast freighters to keep up with the fleet on strategic deployments ...

These are also not standard GA parts, so the proper care and feeding is going to be somewhat of a mystery.

As far as understanding the tech is concerned, that shouldn't be an issue, since its mostly an old version of current Mantie tech (cf House of steel - King Roger and friends went out hunting for new ideas in Solly papers ...). BTW, every price crew has the same Problem and they have to figure it out on the fly ...

As far as getting the necessary parts is concerned:
- in the short run, just build 70 such ships and use the other 30 SDs (and those that were damaged beyong repair - another 40 or so?) to build up a depot of spare parts.
- Beowulff should have a bunch of those components (and technicians actually trained on them) on hand, as they use the same SDs
- over time, just produce new parts or replace with better Manty tech.
Post by munroburton   » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:59 pm

munroburton
Admiral

Positroll wrote:Streak drives
- will be very expensive
I'm not sure whether even the MA will bother installing them on any freighters.

The streak drive is simply a larger hyper generator that can access two further hyper bands. The component itself may be more expensive but even if it is tripled, the absolute cost of a warship is far, far higher.

Freighters already stick to the bottom four to six bands of hyperspace while courier boats can reach the eighth. Warships tend to stick to the seventh, but are capable of more, as evidenced by Alice Truman taking Apollo to the edge of the ninth wall on her dash from Yeltsin's Star. The Alignment's courier boats(and possibly warships) can reach the tenth.

The utility of being able to reach higher bands of hyperspace should not be underestimated. News services will want the fastest to get their stories out first and diplomatic services can't afford to let the media get a jump on them. Heck, speaking of Honor of the Queen, if Apollo and White Haven's BC squadrons could access even one further hyper band, they would've arrived long before Saladin shot Fearless up.
Post by Positroll   » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:03 pm

Positroll

munroburton wrote:
Positroll wrote:Streak drives
- will be very expensive
I'm not sure whether even the MA will bother installing them on any freighters.

The streak drive is simply a larger hyper generator that can access two further hyper bands. The component itself may be more expensive but even if it is tripled, the absolute cost of a warship is far, far higher.

Freighters already stick to the bottom four to six bands of hyperspace while courier boats can reach the eighth. Warships tend to stick to the seventh, but are capable of more, as evidenced by Alice Truman taking Apollo to the edge of the ninth wall on her dash from Yeltsin's Star. The Alignment's courier boats(and possibly warships) can reach the tenth.

The utility of being able to reach higher bands of hyperspace should not be underestimated. News services will want the fastest to get their stories out first and diplomatic services can't afford to let the media get a jump on them. Heck, speaking of Honor of the Queen, if Apollo and White Haven's BC squadrons could access even one further hyper band, they would've arrived long before Saladin shot Fearless up.

Just to be clear: with "freighter" I meant a Military auxiliary- with military grade hyper generator, compensator and sensors ...

Ok, I m off for now ...
Post by crewdude48   » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:06 pm

crewdude48
Commodore

If you are trying to build freightors that can keep up with a fleet, then you need military grade hyper generators, compensators, nodes and partical screens. The hyper generators and particle screens in the SLN SDs are about even with what the Manties have, until streak drives are built, so I assume you could use those. The compensators are so far behind that an SLN CL or maybe even a DD can be out accelerated by a RMN SD(p). And the nodes have to be very carefully placed and shaped to create a wedge. I don't think you could use the nodes from an SD on a freighter.

If you are not trying to keep up with a fleet, but are just using it for regular commerce, the extra cost of servicing a military grade hyper generator and compensator are overly prohibitive. Even if the company got the components at no cost, how long would it take before the maintence costs eclipsed the price of a merchant component.

On the other hand, where are you going to take these ships apart? There are no yards in Manticore, and nothing in Talbott is capable of handling an SD. There is more to it than just taking out components. You have to deal with armor that was designed to defend against massive weapons. I just don't thinks it is even remotely practical.

Positroll wrote:First, the biggest component for getting from point A to point B as fast as possible is the hyper generator. While there's no indication that SL military hyper generators are inferior to anyone else's military hyper generators, there's one big honking exception: the MAlign's Streak Drive, and there's a guy named Simoes, currently headed for Bolthole (I think), who's going to be working on a project to make that available to the GA. In other words, the window where the SL hyper generators would be useful is going to be fairly short, and there is a severe shortage of yard space to do the refits in that same window.
Streak drives
- will be very expensive
I'm not sure whether even the MA will bother installing them on any freighters. Even if that's possible, there still will be lots of jobs auxiliaries without streakdrive can do well - e.g. sitting in orbit as repairships or as LAC :) bases. They'll usually be on their stations for years - who cares whether they could have gotten there a week earlier? (for fast freighteres going out on offensives with a streak drive equipped fleet as its fleet train things may be different - but that's justa small number of the auxiliaries required in the future ...

See above.
Also, Solly SD compensators for 7 million ton SDs should be good enough for e.g. 4 million ton fast freighters to keep up with the fleet on strategic deployments ...

As far as understanding the tech is concerned, that shouldn't be an issue, since its mostly an old version of current Mantie tech (cf House of steel - King Roger and friends went out hunting for new ideas in Solly papers ...). BTW, every price crew has the same Problem and they have to figure it out on the fly ...

- in the short run, just build 70 such ships and use the other 30 SDs (and those that were damaged beyong repair - another 40 or so?) to build up a depot of spare parts.
- Beowulff should have a bunch of those components (and technicians actually trained on them) on hand, as they use the same SDs
Post by SWM   » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:13 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Positroll wrote:Um, maybe we got a slight misunderstanding here?

I read what RFC wrote - which is why I don't want to reuse the ships as such, just a lot of components the breakers will rip out of the SDs. Those components will be put into new hulls for fast freighters. Basically the same technique the Havenites used to build their navy after Buttercup ...

To remove components to be installed into new ships, you need to put the ship into a yard. And the yards are being used for building new ships, not removing things from old ones.

In addition, Solarian components don't fit on Manticoran designs. They don't have the same specs. Different sizes, different wiring patterns, different tolerances...You would have to custom-fit these things into the freighters. You can't compare to Haven, because Haven was putting components from Havenite ships into Havenite ships. And why bother, when the factories to build new Manticoran-spec components will be available even before the shipyards to build the freighters are available?
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by kzt   » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:32 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Positroll wrote:I read what RFC wrote - which is why I don't want to reuse the ships as such, just a lot of components the breakers will rip out of the SDs. Those components will be put into new hulls for fast freighters. Basically the same technique the Havenites used to build their navy after Buttercup ...

Umm, after you feed the ship thorough an asteroid mining wedge and the mass spectrograph there are really not a lot of useful parts. But it is very fast and totally ready for reuse.

To non-destructively disassemble something in which access to all the important parts will require cutting many holes in layers of multiple meter thick armor bulkheads made of the most protective, durable and tough material the SLN could afford isn't something that you are going to do with hand tools. The tools needed are located at these industrial facilities called SD capable shipyards, of which Manticore currently has NONE.
Post by Theemile   » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:45 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Positroll wrote:First, the biggest component for getting from point A to point B as fast as possible is the hyper generator. While there's no indication that SL military hyper generators are inferior to anyone else's military hyper generators, there's one big honking exception: the MAlign's Streak Drive, and there's a guy named Simoes, currently headed for Bolthole (I think), who's going to be working on a project to make that available to the GA. In other words, the window where the SL hyper generators would be useful is going to be fairly short, and there is a severe shortage of yard space to do the refits in that same window.
Streak drives
- will be very expensive
I'm not sure whether even the MA will bother installing them on any freighters. Even if that's possible, there still will be lots of jobs auxiliaries without streakdrive can do well - e.g. sitting in orbit as repairships or as LAC bases. They'll usually be on their stations for years - who cares whether they could have gotten there a week earlier? (for fast freighteres going out on offensives with a streak drive equipped fleet as its fleet train things may be different - but that's justa small number of the auxiliaries required in the future ...

See above.

There is something I pound on every time this comes up - this is a design they have been using for over 200 years. Does that mean the ship completed by technodyne yesterday is identical to the original one? Absolutely not. The exact opposite. You have 200 years of parts drift, as vendors go out of business or are resourced as tech changes. In essence, EVERY SHIP is a unique malange of ancient and new. Every ungrade probably involves a unique fitting and compromise to install it.

Ask any sailor or aircraft mechanic. Even though ships and planes of a design are built over just a handful of years, each is unique. And a design built over 200 years by multiple manufacturers will have a dizzying array of changes.

Think I'm kooked, go to an auto parts store. Pick a year and a model and have them look up break pads or another normal item, then change the year up and down 1 and see if the parts are the same. Ever see a parts catalogue for the classic Volkswagon Beetle? Its the size of a metropolitan phone book.

My point is you can't just strip a set of x SDs (which needs to be done in a SD class shipyard by the way, since every part of it is designed to resist damage by the toughest weapons available - and each ship being stripped blocks a active ship being maintained or built) and get x compensators; you get a couple of this kind of comp, a couple of that and a few of a third and a couple unique ones. The same with EVERY thing on the ships you want to strip.

If you build with these, you will not get a class of whatevers, you will have dozens of unique ships- at best you may get a handful of "standards" and spares will be limited.
Why not just buy from Haven or wait 12-24 months for Beowulf/Manty/Grayson construction slips to be available.

I will say it again: strip the ship's armories and small craft, repair bays and medical facilities. Give the armories to newly freed planets, sell the de-milled small craft and repair bays to Talbott/Silensian/Havenite small businesses at cut rate prices, and donate the med bays to the poorest worlds in Talbott/Silensia. After you offload the satellites (and deploy them for traffic control/weather/comm sats at poor planets)and the rest of the fungables you don't need a shipyard for, you slag the rest.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by drothgery   » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:49 pm

drothgery
Admiral

Positroll wrote:A for "no shortage of support vessels": there is ALWAYS a shortage of support vessels ... :geek:
The Honorverse is not the real world. Many things that don't make sense in a 21st century earth context are nonetheless The Way Things Are in the Honorverse, and not just the violations of laws of physics required to make some Honorverse tech work.

Return to Honorverse